Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Update: IR Trait Horse and Heiro  (Read 497 times)

fargos handmaiden

Update: IR Trait Horse and Heiro
« on: November 30, 2017, 01:51:29 am »

Admittedly, we have been lucky so far that Moonshine has not yet developed any of the metobolic nightmares that often come down on these horses, probably because we kept them at bay with all the supplements we have tbrown at her since the get-go, But her tremendous amount of,fat and weight has been a real worry,  I just refuse to isolate,her from the other horses or put her on a dry lot, we really don't have the means anyway,

Happy to report the Heiro alone has helped,her drop a lot of,weight, i mean a lot!  She could still drop more in the belly, I still see some of that crest in her neck and the dimples around the tail but even they seem less,pronounced than before,

Expensive stuff but IMO worth it, Just passing on info for those with same IR problems,
« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 01:55:30 am by fargos handmaiden »

abbypeaches

• A hunk of meat and two potatoes!
Re: Update: IR Trait Horse and Heiro
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2017, 04:28:22 pm »

Out of curiosity, have you ever had her fasting(no grain)glucose, insulin or leptin levels checked?

Marilyn
Marilyn and
 Bud, 31yo reg. MFT gelding & Midnight Rendezvous (Kate) 2 yo MFT  mare.

Kalli

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2017, 08:44:46 pm »

Fargos handmaiden, I'm interested in learning more about Heiro. I have a chubby horse.  The vet said I should get his weight down some.  If you can give any more info I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

NoBite

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2017, 01:16:23 pm »

We used Heiro successfully for years. Here is their website:  HEIRO
- Life is short. Ride your best horse.

John Maldaner, western Kentucky
Star KMSH, 1991-2017 R.I.P.     Legs, MFT, 1999-2018 R.I.P.    Bandit, TWH, 2005   Smokey, TWH, 2010

fargos handmaiden

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2017, 04:52:57 pm »

Thanks, No Bite

That's about all I could do is refer you to the website. No, never had all those tests done by vet. Our Waco vet however has seen her several days and just eyeballing her, he was quick to say she had all the visual traits of IF. Just check out the website, read reviews there, Valley Vet I think and Amazon also have reviews on the product. Make your own conclusions if you want to try it. She seems pretty tough-footed but she does go flared pretty quick between trims so will be interesting to see if the Heiro helps that as well. I read that is another trait of IR horses.

We have never dry-plotted her and I won't. We do give her 1 skimpy quart of Total Equine pellets only because we need some kind of medium to get all her supplements down her including the Heiro. She only started dropping the weight however after we,started giving her the Heiro. That's really all I can tell you. As shocking as the price, tho worth it to us, is how little you give them a day but for her it appears to be working.

NoBite

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2017, 06:12:33 am »

I would add that the folks that make Heiro have a vet on staff and you can discuss your situation with him. I have called and talked to them in the past and found them to be helpful.
- Life is short. Ride your best horse.

John Maldaner, western Kentucky
Star KMSH, 1991-2017 R.I.P.     Legs, MFT, 1999-2018 R.I.P.    Bandit, TWH, 2005   Smokey, TWH, 2010

fargos handmaiden

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2017, 07:30:28 pm »

Update: we were looking at Moonshine tonight . We were stunned to see that the crest seems to have disappeared.

Winona

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2018, 08:05:21 pm »

Thanks for mentioning this. After looking through everything, I will try my gelding on it. He is skinny, with Cushing, and could use some improvement in his hooves and coat. Not fat though. Actually trying to safely get some fat on his ribs. I assume this is muscle loss.
Jodi, Northern NY, Paso Fino/Icelandic/Mini

Little Freckles

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2018, 06:24:20 am »

Just curious.  You mentioned feeding Total Equine- have you talked with Dr Anderson about how you are feeding it and what supplements you are adding?  From what I have heard him say, feeding Total Equine per instructions should not require added supplementation, just good quality hay with the TE.  As expensive as TE is, if you are only using it to carry supplements, you might be better off using something else. 
Susan, close to Springfield, IL

candra

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2018, 12:50:28 pm »

I am wondering, is your horse on pasture?  I have 2 easy keepers that have to wear muzzles in the summer - it is a nightmare with Shiloh as he hates wearing it and it gives him a callus. It is so hard to get to get it on him.   I would love for him to not have to wear it all the time.  He is on pasture without the option of dry lot unless I change his boarding situation, which I don't want to do.  He has never foundered and his feet look good, but he is always very overweight just on grass and about 2 cups of Total Equine (for supplements) a day.  He actually gained weight this winter on the round bales!
Also has anyone ever noticed that Heiro causes excitability in their horses?
Thanks
Candra, East Peoria, Illinois - Shiloh, KMSH

Iceangel

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2018, 08:15:01 am »

I used Smart Pak Metabolean and it seemed to help also. My new guy lost weight quickly without starving him and the crest got looser. I do want to get a metabolic panel run on him.  Not sure how they compare in price. I loved that you can get it in pellets.  Is the Heiro a powder?

misstux

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2018, 08:26:24 am »

I have Strider on Heiro. It made a very slight difference for him. Yes it is a powder. Diane his vet put him on Thyro-L because he had the highest leptin level she had ever seen and he was a slug.  That also helped some

PAWalker

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2018, 09:05:18 am »

I have Strider on Heiro. It made a very slight difference for him. Yes it is a powder. Diane his vet put him on Thyro-L because he had the highest leptin level she had ever seen and he was a slug.  That also helped some

^^^IMO the success or failure of Heiro seems to depend on the severity of the insulin level.

I had looked at Heiro when Joker was diagnosed in May, 2012 but, at that time, they refused to list ingredients, which means that company does not get my business. 

As it turned out, Joker's insulin level was more than three times higher than the "normal high" level for a horse.  Cornell Univ. marveled the horse with that high of a reading was still alive.  I doubt Heiro would have helped him very much, if at all.

The vet gave me the choice of Thyro-L or the herbal compound of Hot Hoof I.  I chose HHI, knowing I could switch if I had to.

Knock-on-wood, Joker has been in remission and muzzle-less since 2015.  I say that with quiet trepidation as the weather warms and things are greening up already :-X

KysaSD

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2018, 09:32:44 am »

Judy...could you link that?  My google searching is not coming up with it.
Kysa, South Dakota, 2 Mountain Horses, a Curly Foxtrotter and a Mini, yes, I am crazy!

PAWalker

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2018, 01:30:33 pm »

Judy...could you link that?  My google searching is not coming up with it.

https://store.tcvmherbal.com/Default.asp?

I don't think a person has to be a vet or hold some sort of medical degree but I had always thought one had to at least take Dr. xie's course in order to buy the herbs.  I could be wrong -----

I always bought them from my traditional vet, who took the course.

I can also buy them from my vet/chiro who is also certified in acupuncture and is currently going for her Masters in a form of Chinese medicine.

Dr. Xie wisely chose Ocala, FL to set up his practice years ago, as that  has always  been a hotbed of equine activity.

I have used a few of his products on two or three horses and I gotta say, everything did what it was supposed to do.

The Hot Hoof I has quite a few herbs in it --- many of which I can't pronounce and never heard of but the stuff worked on Joker.  My traditional vet commented that the more herbal ingredients the safer the product.  While the first three named are the most critical, buying an herbal product with only 2-3-4 herbs in it, can be dangerous to the animal.

I still have an empty container that I can read the label.   I can call out all the herbs, if you'd like:)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 01:32:24 pm by PAWalker »
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up