Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Update: IR Trait Horse and Heiro  (Read 280 times)

fargos handmaiden

• View Profile
Update: IR Trait Horse and Heiro
« on: November 30, 2017, 01:51:29 am »

Admittedly, we have been lucky so far that Moonshine has not yet developed any of the metobolic nightmares that often come down on these horses, probably because we kept them at bay with all the supplements we have tbrown at her since the get-go, But her tremendous amount of,fat and weight has been a real worry,  I just refuse to isolate,her from the other horses or put her on a dry lot, we really don't have the means anyway,

Happy to report the Heiro alone has helped,her drop a lot of,weight, i mean a lot!  She could still drop more in the belly, I still see some of that crest in her neck and the dimples around the tail but even they seem less,pronounced than before,

Expensive stuff but IMO worth it, Just passing on info for those with same IR problems,
« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 01:55:30 am by fargos handmaiden »

abbypeaches

• View Profile
Re: Update: IR Trait Horse and Heiro
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2017, 04:28:22 pm »

Out of curiosity, have you ever had her fasting(no grain)glucose, insulin or leptin levels checked?

Marilyn
Marilyn and
 Bud, 30 yo reg. MFT gelding, Montana's Silver Mist(Misty) 20 yo MFT & Midnight Rendezvous (Kate) 16 mo mare.

Kalli

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2017, 08:44:46 pm »

Fargos handmaiden, I'm interested in learning more about Heiro. I have a chubby horse.  The vet said I should get his weight down some.  If you can give any more info I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

NoBite

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2017, 01:16:23 pm »

We used Heiro successfully for years. Here is their website:  HEIRO
- Life is short. Ride your best horse.

John Maldaner, western Kentucky
Legs, MFT, 1999   Bandit, TWH, 2005   Smokey, TWH, 2010

fargos handmaiden

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2017, 04:52:57 pm »

Thanks, No Bite

That's about all I could do is refer you to the website. No, never had all those tests done by vet. Our Waco vet however has seen her several days and just eyeballing her, he was quick to say she had all the visual traits of IF. Just check out the website, read reviews there, Valley Vet I think and Amazon also have reviews on the product. Make your own conclusions if you want to try it. She seems pretty tough-footed but she does go flared pretty quick between trims so will be interesting to see if the Heiro helps that as well. I read that is another trait of IR horses.

We have never dry-plotted her and I won't. We do give her 1 skimpy quart of Total Equine pellets only because we need some kind of medium to get all her supplements down her including the Heiro. She only started dropping the weight however after we,started giving her the Heiro. That's really all I can tell you. As shocking as the price, tho worth it to us, is how little you give them a day but for her it appears to be working.

NoBite

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2017, 06:12:33 am »

I would add that the folks that make Heiro have a vet on staff and you can discuss your situation with him. I have called and talked to them in the past and found them to be helpful.
- Life is short. Ride your best horse.

John Maldaner, western Kentucky
Legs, MFT, 1999   Bandit, TWH, 2005   Smokey, TWH, 2010

fargos handmaiden

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2017, 07:30:28 pm »

Update: we were looking at Moonshine tonight . We were stunned to see that the crest seems to have disappeared.

Winona

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2018, 08:05:21 pm »

Thanks for mentioning this. After looking through everything, I will try my gelding on it. He is skinny, with Cushing, and could use some improvement in his hooves and coat. Not fat though. Actually trying to safely get some fat on his ribs. I assume this is muscle loss.
Jodi, Northern NY, Paso Fino/Icelandic/Mini

Little Freckles

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2018, 06:24:20 am »

Just curious.  You mentioned feeding Total Equine- have you talked with Dr Anderson about how you are feeding it and what supplements you are adding?  From what I have heard him say, feeding Total Equine per instructions should not require added supplementation, just good quality hay with the TE.  As expensive as TE is, if you are only using it to carry supplements, you might be better off using something else. 
Susan, close to Springfield, IL
Pages: [1]   Go Up