Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Returning Treeless Saddle  (Read 838 times)

fargos handmaiden

Returning Treeless Saddle
« on: November 19, 2017, 04:59:36 pm »

:(So disappointed. Tried to use it twice and.never got to end of our short road. First time, could not keep it.from slipping with the special pad they recommended and sold.me. Finally got it on and then it.sipped.backwards.as.well.as.feeling like.i.could.slip.sideways any moment. So I turned.around and.ended.the 10 minute ride.

After.vet told.me.to get.thick felt.pad.for.him I waited till I got.thaf and.tried.again with the two pads per.vet's instructions. Well, Hubby held onto other side as I mounted again from mounting block which I wish he hadn't done because I did not.have a true sense.if it would.slip again. But from.get-go, I felt.the saddle was.really wobbly. Even though the new.thick pad had a hole for the withers, it.slipped.backwards.as.well with the saddle. THEN WE FELL!! Granted it had nothing to do wolith saddle but now I was really hanging on to his side. Luckily Fargo was able to raise himself up.again without my falling off.or rolling us over into the barbed wire. I dix.get a barb thru my knee but luckily not bad. I could not.get my feet back into the stirrups,  such a strange and.flimsy way they re.attached. it had completely flipped over twisted.and.to the.back of the saddle. So I rode the short distance home.with no stirrups. Unsaddled.Fargo and it's in the box to go back tomorrow!!!!!! I am done! 

So disappointing. I researched those treeless for weeks trying to make a right decision but apparently it wasn't for us.  I just hope I can get my money back.

Liberty1

Re: Returning Treeless Saddle
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2017, 06:08:09 pm »

I don't think the treeless saddles ever really feel that secure.  I used one when I started my mare 9 years ago thinking it would not matter how she developed and she wouldn't be changing trees.  Even though she is A-frame shaped at the wither I slipped back a lot!  And forget mounting from the ground.  Then after a year she was developing white hairs where my seat bones are.  So back to a treed saddle we went. 

fargos handmaiden

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2017, 06:35:42 pm »

Thanks, Liberty. Irony, the light-weight saddle I use on my 13.5 or so Speedy , a National Bridle saddle, made white marks on Fargo's shoulders which sent me on.an expensive search for a new saddle.for Fargo.

kckc

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2017, 07:43:48 pm »

Was that the bareback pad saddle?   I will say that most saddles feel less secure with more pads underneath them :-(
NC

fargos handmaiden

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2017, 08:52:08 pm »

No. That Mustang gel saddle for Hubby and Moonshine is probably what you are.referring to. That has worked out better for.those two than anything we.have tried including two expensive Imus saddles, regular and wide tree. That one.works best for him with absolutely no pad. Hubby only weighs 117 lbs. And Moonshine about 1,100 so we are hoping/thinking it should do her no harm.

Her wonderful difference in performance and.attitude got me.interested in pursuing the treeless.for.Fargo but with my weight, I felt.that gel saddle was inadequate on weight distribution so I opted.for a real trrless.with the special pad.to help even more with weight distribution. It slipped.with the pad.that came.with it.as.recommended.and.then the vet.told.me to get the one inch felt pad.and use both pads. It was really a lost cause.the. He just doesn't gait.any more and he is so look lethargic, it is heartbreaking. Had hoped this.would help.

kckc

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2017, 02:42:50 am »

Oh I'm so sorry he doesn't seem to feel well.   Can I ask what treeless you tried?  I'm pretty happy with my Trekker but it's a little different than some of the other treeless.   
NC

NoBite

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2017, 06:16:44 am »

Yes, what brand did you try? I need to make a note of that one!!
- Life is short. Ride your best horse.

John Maldaner, western Kentucky
Star KMSH, 1991-2017 R.I.P.     Legs, MFT, 1999-2018 R.I.P.    Bandit, TWH, 2005   Smokey, TWH, 2010

misstux

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2017, 08:20:48 am »

I used an Ansur treeless on my Morgan. He loved it. I could even mount from the ground  tried treeless with Strider. Um, no thank you. It's an individual thing

KysaSD

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2017, 08:35:50 am »

Very individual...although so are treed saddles.

But every combination of horse, rider, saddle, and pad is very individual.  What works for one horse, probably will not work for the next.  For some, the right treeless saddle and pad will work.  But I have seen plenty of horses that is does not work for. 

I am glad you got a trial.  With any pice of tack, that is the way to go.  Try it on your horse, in your riding situation.  Then, if it does not work, try something else.
Kysa, South Dakota, 2 Mountain Horses, a Curly Foxtrotter and a Mini, yes, I am crazy!

fargos handmaiden

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2017, 08:36:40 am »

It was a Black Forest Town and Country with their expensive special pad they recommend for.heavier riders. I really searched reviews and found one site where the people.said they used them in the mountains, up and down steep banks etc. and saddle stayed in place. Even using mounting block, I could not keep it from rolling.

fargos handmaiden

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2017, 10:08:39 am »

Well, we will see on refund...long story, but I believe and hope.guy is.pretty accommodating. We are, however, out of $101 For return shipping...ouch!!!!!! So long since I shipped anything, was shocked. It weighed just under 22 lbs.  That included pad.and box weight. Believe the saddle was about 12 lbs. If I remember right. Would have been such a relief on Fargo's back compared to my heavy leather. A relief on me.too trying to haul and swing that thing up there.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 10:13:10 am by fargos handmaiden »

kckc

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2017, 10:12:17 am »

that is steep !  I sold a saddle not long ago and it cost me $45 to ship and another 8 or 10 to insure.  That's really painful for a treeless saddle !
NC

KysaSD

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2017, 10:40:33 am »

Not sure how you shipped that, but I just shipped 4 boxes, total of 40 pounds and one box big enough for a saddle.  All 4 boxes, FedEx ground and insured was $102.  From South Dakota t New York.
Kysa, South Dakota, 2 Mountain Horses, a Curly Foxtrotter and a Mini, yes, I am crazy!

KysaSD

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2017, 10:43:01 am »

And I ship saddles often.  Treed saddles weighing 25-40 pounds.  I have never paid more than $55 to ship within the USA.

Walkin45

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2017, 12:38:25 pm »

Same here , but insurance must have accounted for some of that
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up