Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 2nd big trail ride for us  (Read 150 times)

fargos handmaiden

2nd big trail ride for us
« on: November 12, 2017, 07:54:51 am »

Mineola Nature Preserve....awesome!  In spite of alligators(???) in the forests of East Texas(????)....REALLY!!! Luckily, we didn't see them which I can only hope means they didn't see us. Group East Texas Trailgaters is just wonderful and patient with our still green horses and us, trying to get back in the game lo these many years. Speedy does.much better with group.than alone or with just one of our two. And the little squirt kept up with the big.walkers and a couple of McCurdy beauties. Two leading the pack took no prisoners. Appeared to be keep up or be alligator crunchies....:-). Well, a little exaggeration. Two sweet gents would not abandon us I am sure.  Everyone including me was amazed "my little French poodle in a horse suit" could keep up. We were really flying most of.time. all wanted to know his breed...if I only knew!  Since I can't see him from ground, They concluded from his paddle gait he has some.kind of.paso in him. Guess as good.as.mine. Moonshine, except for.one brain fart that hurt hubby's hip a bit, covered.ground like.the Rolls Royce on 4.furry tires.that she is. Last day here. I don't wanna go home!

At any rate Speedy and I did improve.our love-hate.relationship to tip a.little.more.favorably. yesterday while.flying, I thought this horse is too.much fun, I'll never sell him. Back at camp, he shied from everything from horse-eating wood piles, new Corrales and horse wash stands and I would have sold him for a.quarter. so we are not a "couple" yet.

KysaSD

• Administrator
Re: 2nd big trail ride for us
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2017, 03:51:14 pm »

Well, fun was had, so that is the important thing.  And every moment spent together gets you closer to the couple thing.
Kysa, South Dakota, 2 Mountain Horses, a Curly Foxtrotter and a Mini, yes, I am crazy!

fargos handmaiden

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2017, 12:44:40 pm »

Thank you, Kya. It was great fun. Never went that fast for.that long and obviously Speedy found his.gait again after I had his long toes and.coke.cans whacked off. I was really afraid had been taken to the cleaners on getting a gaited borse. He just goes like a.wind-up toy. Don't know what it is but only time he made.me sore was.when we rode.with a slow slow slow group. I was trying to hold him back and.got.little bitty stiff-legged bay steps for good part of ride. Felt like I had been beaten on the bottom end with a sledge hammer. But about halfway thru ride he gave up and walked...mostly! So first ride.was.with the two speed demons...i must be one.too. second, slow moms and kids on quarter horses.mostly...that was one.that about crippled me. Third.about medium speed.but was waiting most of time with some.fox.trotters and walkers. Speedy got.a.good.workout.

Poor Fargo left behind in pen this time until vet or somebody gives all clear on his back. We are driving to vet as I type. Prayers please. He is still my main guy!!

fargos handmaiden

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2017, 12:48:36 pm »

Well tried to modify. Waiting, Not Waiting, most of.time, on third ride.

fargos handmaiden

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2017, 01:05:56 pm »

One more try....G.A.I.T.I.N.G.

stablemind

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2017, 06:55:54 pm »

Sounds like your new horse is a keeper! Glad to see you out enjoying the trails again, Connie!

fargos handmaiden

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2017, 05:06:21 am »

Thanks. Miss you guys.

stablemind

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2017, 05:09:25 am »

Sometimes distance seems so unfair.

ponymare

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2017, 04:04:47 pm »

So glad you are having a blast!  I can't wait to get back out there. We've  only been on ONE ride all year.  :(
Pages: [1]   Go Up