Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Double Cream as treatment for laminitis  (Read 575 times)

cruisinlight

Re: Double Cream as treatment for laminitis
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2017, 07:57:53 am »

Kysa, I was hoping that you would be able to understand the scientific article that I linked in my first post. I've looked over it, but basically all I can take away from it is that the butterfat reduces inflammation.
(I tried to insert the quote, but I don't think it's working for me. Don't know how to do this.  :-[ )

Oh, but I did notice that the author quoted another study in which GHEE was used to reduce inflammation in rats. So GloriousJourney and VRuste, maybe you are on the right track.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 07:59:26 am by cruisinlight »

stablemind

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2017, 09:16:50 am »

I'm thinking it's because their double cream is cultured and loaded with probiotics. The question would be, is the fat content the important factor or is it the beneficial bacteria in the cream?

KysaSD

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2017, 03:14:44 pm »

Cyd, I did not know that...and yes, I would bet at least half the benefit is from the probiotics.  I need to understand what the fat is doing biochemically.

Cruisinlight, the original article did not have any biochemistry in it, just descriptions of the treated horses.
Kysa, South Dakota, 2 Mountain Horses, a Curly Foxtrotter and a Mini, yes, I am crazy!

stablemind

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2017, 04:19:37 am »

I looked up double cream and it's not actually cultured, just not pasturized. So it would have probiotics like raw milk.

Little Freckles

« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2017, 09:14:36 am »

personally, I would not try it.  The woman in Great Britten had good luck and maybe it really helped, maybe it didn't and just looked like it did. There was no scientific data or clinical trials to back it up. They keep horses differently over there- I'll stick with vet & farrier recommended treatments if I ever have that issue. 
Susan, close to Springfield, IL

stablemind

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2017, 01:28:32 pm »

Actually, this reminds of a story my vet tells. An Amish man had a horse with a badly damaged hoof. Doc recommended a course of treatment and went on his way. Nine months later, he saw the Amish man again, who proudly showed him the horse's hoof, totally regrown and sound. Doc asked him how he treated it and the Amish man proudly said, "Alum. I gave him alum every day and the hoof grew back."

Did the alum really help the horse or did the hoof simply regrow as expected over 9 months? Did double cream really cure the foundered horse?
Cyd

kckc

« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2017, 04:32:00 pm »

on a weird note... are horses really able to digest fat?  I mean they don't really get "fats" in their natural diet ? 
NC

KysaSD

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2017, 04:41:01 pm »

Yes, horses are able to digest fats, and the normal fats in a horses diet would be fats found in grass seed heads....grain.  While horses can digest many forms of fats, what they need are omega 3 oils.  Flaxseed would be a good source of omega 3 oils.  But horses can digest pretty much any form of fat.
Kysa, South Dakota, 2 Mountain Horses, a Curly Foxtrotter and a Mini, yes, I am crazy!

kckc

« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2017, 06:11:21 pm »

thanks kysa - I looked it up after I posted and it said they normally get a small percentage in regular diet and have to be gradually acclimated to more... interesting post
NC
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up