Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Double Cream as treatment for laminitis  (Read 576 times)

cruisinlight

Double Cream as treatment for laminitis
« on: November 11, 2017, 07:07:28 am »

There was a post on Facebook in the Old Cowgirls Never Die--We Just Keep Riding group, by a member whose mare foundered. She treated her with Double Cream, and the mare recovered within a few days.

I can't link to the post because it's a closed group. If you are a member and want to look for it, it was posted November 9.

For those who aren't members, read this:  http://www.equestrianlife.com.au/articles/A-new-natural-treatment-for-laminitis

The author of the article also has a scientific article  http://www.open-science-repository.com/the-milk-fat-double-cream-as-an-effective-anti-inflammatory-in-the-treatment-of-acute-laminitis.html

Thoughts? Experiences?

kckc

Re: Double Cream as treatment for laminitis
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2017, 08:37:56 am »

that is so interesting
NC

KysaSD

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2017, 09:00:25 am »

IN the USA it would seem you need to use heavy whipping cream, although still slightly lower in fat than double cream.  I would give it a go if I had this issue.
Kysa, South Dakota, 2 Mountain Horses, a Curly Foxtrotter and a Mini, yes, I am crazy!

Little Freckles

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2017, 09:32:33 am »

I had to google double cream to see what it was - "Double cream is the British term for heavy or whipping cream in the United States, but it is a little thicker than our whipping cream. It contains about 48% butterfat. Double cream is so rich, in fact, that it is easy to over whip it and get it too thick."  Interesting read.
Susan, close to Springfield, IL

loneelk

• Life is a journey, enjoy the ride!
    • Lone Elk's Lodge
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2017, 09:54:18 am »

I saw that on FB yesterday.  I think the OP there said that she was able to order true "double cream" on Amazon.
Val & Gunner, hittin' the trails in southern NM
"Find a place inside where there's joy, and the joy will burn out the pain"--Joseph Campbell
www.bonanza.com/loneelk

abbypeaches

• A hunk of meat and two potatoes!
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2017, 06:07:11 pm »

I'm sorry, but it seems like prevention would be better than the pain and treatment if she could figure out what caused the episodes.

Marilyn
Marilyn and
 Bud, 31yo reg. MFT gelding & Midnight Rendezvous (Kate) 2 yo MFT  mare.

loneelk

• Lone Elk's Lodge
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2017, 08:51:46 am »

I'm sorry, but it seems like prevention would be better than the pain and treatment if she could figure out what caused the episodes."

As I recall the post on FB, this was a new mare, and best I remember, there wasn't a known cause at the time.  Just happened.  Prevention is always better than pain.  We've had what feels like more than our fair share of laminitic horses, which after a lot of consideration seems to have been r/t high iron content in our water, exacerbated by buying into advertising hype about supplements which contained additional iron.  We know now, so I read ingredients lists carefully, and nothing w/ added iron gets served here.  However, even following that to the letter, one horse we bought at age 12 and only later dx'ed by our vet as likely having had a long hx of low level laminitis would have seasonal laminitic flares, w/o any changes in diet.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 03:30:28 pm by loneelk »
"Find a place inside where there's joy, and the joy will burn out the pain"--Joseph Campbell
www.bonanza.com/loneelk

fargos handmaiden

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2017, 02:06:07 pm »

If double cream is 48% buttermilk, would just whipping some buttermilk as best you can, be just as effective or maybe even better if that is the key element in treatment?? Just wondering.

KysaSD

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2017, 02:18:00 pm »

ButterFAT not buttermilk. But if it were my horse I would try whipping cream and add an extra tablespoon.
Kysa, South Dakota, 2 Mountain Horses, a Curly Foxtrotter and a Mini, yes, I am crazy!

cruisinlight

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2017, 08:31:17 am »

The discussion on FB said that you needed the really high fat of the British double cream. I am not sure that our cream would provide enough fat.

I found the product that the OP said she had used. I gave my horse a bran mash with the cream, and he dumped it. Would have nothing to do with it. I tried two days in a row, once with a thick damp mash, and once with a wetter mash, and he dumped it both days.

Today I'm going to try again, but adding applesauce. The first two days, I gave it to him with no sweetener.

GloriousJourney

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2017, 11:06:10 am »

How about using butter itself?
Lesley in Jupiter

vruste

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2017, 11:26:11 am »

cruisinlight

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2017, 12:20:15 pm »

Back to Marilyn's comment about prevention being better than the pain and treatment. I so agree. I was wondering/hoping that maybe using the cream would work as a preventative.

However, after a long conversation with my farrier yesterday about all the intelligent horse owners he sees who do really stupid things because somebody recommended them, I will not try giving my horse double cream any longer. I tried 3 times to feed it to him in bran mash, and he just is not interested.

By the way, the British double cream that I bought is about as thick as peanut butter. I do not think we have any cream product here that is remotely similar.

I'm really afraid someone can cause harm to their horse if they base their actions on this post with its limited information. If you read the article written by the person who tried this first (not the Facebook poster, but the original lady in England), you will see that her horse suffered a mild colic the first time she gave it the cream in a bran mash. Please don't jump into this without study.

KysaSD

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2017, 03:09:04 pm »

What I want to know...well the biochemist in me wants to know....What is the fat doing biochemically in the horse's body.

Laminitis is a restriction of blood flow in the tiniest capillaries of the horses foot...in the laminae.  This is sometimes associated with overeating carbohydrates, or it can be metabolic Insulin Resistance.  Basically excess insulin in the circulating blood makes some things sticky, and the blood does not flow well in those tiny capillaries.

So...what would milk fat do???  That is what I want to know.

loneelk

• Lone Elk's Lodge
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2017, 04:32:08 pm »

"So...what would milk fat do???  That is what I want to know."
Just exactly what I've been wondering ever since I first saw that info on FB....  Hopefully some vet/scientist somewhere has heard about this remedy, and is formulating a way to test it....
www.bonanza.com/loneelk

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up