Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help for Kissing Spine, I suspect  (Read 166 times)

fargos handmaiden

Help for Kissing Spine, I suspect
« on: November 03, 2017, 04:52:48 pm »

Well, my sweet, sweet old guy has shown his first serious complication from old age or whatever caused it...accident? Poor saddle fit? Who knows?

I noticed a bit of an imperfection, a slight lump right in his spine as the back begins to join the hips.  He has not been gaiting worth a flip for a while and even for him, lazier under saddle than usual, but I thought it was the fact that we just don't ride consistently any more and that he did at one point show some pretty strong signs of arthritis.  Supplements seem to have gotten most of the arthritis under control as best I can tell.

However, researching the internet, I figured the bump was kissing spine, also reading that some horses show pain, others not missing a beat.  Well....lucky us! (said sarcastically)>

Tonight per internet I ran my fingers and pressed, not all that hard, along each side of his spine.  About three inches behind the lump, he squealed and kicked out at me, one of his warning kicks...I don't think he intended to really nail me, but it was enough to discourage further poking.  He has never kicked at me before.  Two kicks and two squeals, and I knew just how to translate the squeals, "Ouch that hurt!" and, "Don't you dare do that again!"

He still runs playfully with the herd, a good weight and looks and acts so healthy otherwise.  He is 23.5 years old. 

I have read about surgery, mesotherapy, and shock therapy.  Don't know if any of these things are available in our isolated end-of-the-world location.  Would like to know if any of you have dealt successfully with kissing spine.  Please share your knowledge in detail.  Thank you.

fargos handmaiden

Re: Help for Kissing Spine, I suspect
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2017, 07:53:00 am »

Have vet appffmnt  Mon. But vet does not do me so, shock or Chiron. Only leaves surgery op and he usually sends u to TX A&M. Discouraging

kckc

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2017, 07:58:48 am »

no personal knowledge at all - heard about it and of course internet ...but in that area isn't there also rackers bump probably better known as hunters bump?   seems everything I read about kissing spine is more in the saddle area??   again, no knowledge so just spouting
NC

misstux

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2017, 10:38:45 am »

Jean Luc Corneille.  However his written info is extremely technical and his english is very heavily accented.  Go to his website and read.  If you are thinking about buying a dvd I will look for mine so you can decide without spending $$.

Melody

KysaSD

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2017, 10:42:20 am »

I would certainly suspect a rackers bump, or injury to the muscles and sacroiliac joint before I would suspect kissing spine.
Kysa, South Dakota, 2 Mountain Horses, a Curly Foxtrotter and a Mini, yes, I am crazy!

TN Trail Rider

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2017, 10:57:31 am »

I have a friend who had the surgery for kissing spine done on her horse last year.  University of TN in Knoxville did the surgery.  It was successful and the horse is now pain free and competing again in endurance.  The surgery cost her $1000 but she said she couldn't get a new horse for that price so she bit the bullet and had the surgery done.  Hasn't regretted it.

fargos handmaiden

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2017, 06:17:46 pm »

Thanks, everyone.  On rethinking, rereading, I believe you all are right, the one lump not kissing spine, but his sagging back right behind the withers probably is.  Believe the painful lump is not far enough back to be racker's or pacer's bump but he has that too.  I have had to do some soul-searching and am believing I may be responsible for these old age problems now.  Just hope I can reverse.  He has more often done the stepping pace on trail rides than a true running walk.  I was told it was smooth, don't worry about it.  Now I read that this "gait" causes hollowing of the back and high head carriage leading to old age back problems.  Boy, am I kicking myself!!!!!!!!!  I am going to put his saddle and saddle right pad back on him tomorrow to see if that bump in his spine doesn't line up with the very end of the saddle.  Just eyeballing him, I would guess so.  Again I hope not because that would again make me his tormentor.

The treeless saddle is not here yet.  I am hoping we can get an all-clear from vet Monday to continue riding after a recovery period.  The short short ride I had in Hubby's little soft-gel saddle before it slipped backwards and I had to stop, come home, he was performing much better.  But something about that spot on his back really bothers him.  This is all before we have two big trail rides in November.  Had hoped to trade him out every other day with Speedy to build his strength and to give me a break from the fully-charged "French poodle," Speedy!!! 
Pages: [1]   Go Up