Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hoof Boots Recommendations?  (Read 264 times)

stablemind

• Administrator
Hoof Boots Recommendations?
« on: October 27, 2017, 07:11:39 am »

Is anyone successfully using hoof boots other than Easycare and Cavallo brands? If so, I would like to hear how they are working out.

I would like to get a new pair of boots for Babe. I have mainly used Cavallo Simple boots and Treks for him. Treks come in 2 fits - regular and slim. Regular is for a round hoof and slim is for a hoof that's longer than it is wide. (Not a long hoof, just one that's @ 1/4" longer than the width.) Slims fit him perfectly but for whatever stupid reason, the slims have a very shallow tread and traction is compromised if the footing is the least bit slick. Carole at Cavallo says the slim Treks will soon have the same tread as the regular Treks but they're not available yet. I want better boots now.

So what I'm looking for is a boot with really good traction other than Easycare or Cavallo.

KysaSD

• Administrator
Re: Hoof Boots Recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2017, 07:24:13 am »

Well, I would say not to get renegades.  Amanda has renegades for both horses, and you were there when she had to go diving for the brand new boot.  I personally have never lost a trek, but I have have retrieved plenty of their brands.

I find scoot boots intriguing, but very expensive as they are imported from Australia.  I would love to read a review of scoot boots.
Kysa, South Dakota, 2 Mountain Horses, a Curly Foxtrotter and a Mini, yes, I am crazy!

stablemind

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2017, 08:17:11 am »

This is the difference between the regular and slim Treks and Simple Boots. It's pretty obvious why the slim tread doesn't measure up to all the claims.

misstux

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2017, 08:26:26 am »

I used Renegades for years. Trainer lost 1 once. I never did. We did not just walk. Gait, trot, canter and gallop depending on who we went out with. That being said, Strider didn't like them. He wanted them off! 

Walkin45

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2017, 10:49:16 am »

I recommend renegades or easy bios like glove. My next boys will be renegades , providing they fit. Have. " fiend " , actually 2, that are fitters.

kckc

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2017, 12:59:40 pm »

I like my renegades.  I did not enjoy doing the initial fitting - if I were to buy another pair I would have a fitter come out.  Not for the fit but for the teeny little screws and cable that needs adjusting.  If done at the time of a fresh trim they should fit easily through to next trim which was what I needed.   I like they are open in the back to let out water etc.   I have used boa's which I liked but don't fit all horses, Cavellas which for some reason I don't recall they didn't fit my horses feet.  I would like to try scoot boots because there is no cable but everytime I look at the picture vs the price they just don't look like they will last.  AND there are so many out there for sale used with a lot of the ads saying they need a different size.  Their website even tells you to send them pictures of the hoof with a tape on it so they can help with the measuring.
NC

Liberty1

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2017, 08:08:41 am »

Cyd, Do you think adding studs would help with traction?

stablemind

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2017, 01:31:01 pm »

Yes, they do and I have a set that I'm going to have Rob put in Babe's current boots. I just have to keep an eye on the studs because when I used them before they eventually worked their way into the boot.

MMLaurie

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2017, 02:36:27 pm »

I have used Gloves on front the last 6 years and just this last year fit both my Marchadors with Scoots on front and Glove back country on hinds. We tested these boots out extensively for a month before heading to the mountains for 8 days of pretty extreme riding.  There the terrain tests the boots to the limit.  I would say overall both are great. We had a scoot slip off in bog, next day we wrapped hoof with a bit of duct tape boot stayed on thru bog. One glove back country twisted but that happened on a very technical downhill rocky trail. Easily fixed once at bottom.  The Scoots are the easiest boot i have ever used. Recommendations were to  use Scoots for fronts only but i see the slims are out now and those would probably be the answer for hinds. I think the answers are very careful measuring to a properly trimmed hoof and using duct tape and hockey tape to the boot and or hoof to add some stick and to snug boot up a bit. Its a way of really making a custom fit.
Laurie from the north. Canada eh!
Saskatchewan.

jujubee

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2018, 04:15:56 pm »

cavello is number 3    1 are the the renegade  worthe extra money  but i f u are going to use studs, get the cavello
Pages: [1]   Go Up