Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Breast Collar for Soft-Gel and Trailridiing??  (Read 191 times)

fargos handmaiden

Breast Collar for Soft-Gel and Trailridiing??
« on: October 19, 2017, 10:45:32 am »

I was told not to use a breast collar with a gaited horse because it interefered with shoulder/gait action, but I sure see a lot of people in our new group using them.  Reviews on Robert's new Soft-Gell, some said necessary to prevent slipping, others said not necessary.

Noticed some my new group used had a little strap that went over the neck just in front of the withers attaching one side of the breast collar to other side.  Looked like that would also help prevent sideways roll.  I cannot find any breast collars with this little extra neck strap so I don't know where to get, how to order or if one should find a breast collar with this included.

Don't want to do anything to interfere with that beautiful fast fox trot she has.  Do you all use breast collars to trail ride on your gaited horses? Any interference in the gait? 

Do you think it would make it easier for Hubby to remount without having to retighten every time?  Could be a pain when we have to open/close gates at horse parks and no one else to do so.

Or have you all found a pad usuable with a treeless or gel pad with the spinal clearance that really does help with side slip?

fargos handmaiden

Re: Breast Collar for Soft-Gel and Trailridiing??
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2017, 11:01:58 am »

I should add, the saddle does not roll on his initial mount or while riding or when dismounting.  Just if he tries to remount from the ground.

kckc

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2017, 11:48:10 am »

yes breast collar that is a sharper V and has a wither strap is sometime better for individual horses  http://www.mossrockendurance.com/view_product.asp?category_ID=9&prod_ID=161

I see no way that it can stop a saddle from sliding on a ground remount.  Perhaps one one of the carry along mounting aids? 
If the saddle is going to slip I'm not sure I'd want a pad that pulled on the horse's hair to hold it on (like a tacky pad)
Are the gates not openable from the saddle?
NC

fargos handmaiden

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2017, 12:58:31 pm »

Not for us. Our two new horses don't sidestep or do gates very well. Plus seems like those gates are always heavy, dragging ground or bent. Yes, I know we should train our horses but this late stage in life, we just want horses we can jump on and go and we barely have time to ride.

kckc

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2017, 01:03:40 pm »

look at all the carry-along mounting aids... there are a lot and a few you can make yourself (some of those might not work on treeless)
NC

NoBite

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2017, 05:29:52 am »

We ride in areas that have a LOT of hills, so, yes, we use breast collars, always. The purpose of the breast collar is not to keep the saddle steady for mounting, it's to keep the saddle in place when going up a hill. There are breast collars designed not to interfere with your horse's shoulder movement. Tucker makes a good one, for example. Most incorporate a piece that goes across the crest of the neck to change the angle a bit. Hope that helps. Tucker calls theirs a Montreal Style breast collar:

- Life is short. Ride your best horse.

John Maldaner, western Kentucky
Legs, MFT, 1999   Bandit, TWH, 2005   Smokey, TWH, 2010

loneelk

• Life is a journey, enjoy the ride!
    • Lone Elk's Lodge
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2017, 06:58:36 am »

I've found two different "X-girths" that help w/ saddle stability, altho I'm not sure that either would be enough for the issue you're describing.  Anita Howe sells "Balanced Cinch" and Crest Ridge Saddlery (Debra Racheter) offers the SupraCinch.  I've used both.  Both are made of synthetic materials, so they're easy to clean, but saddle has to be western double rigged style.  I first used Deb's SupraCinch on a VERY low withered round barreled MFT, and was VERY happy with how well it worked. 
My husband is VERY happy with the breast collar he bought about 18 months ago, but only got to use a few times.  Called a pulling collar.  It's basically a Y-shape, but contoured so it snugs up to front of shoulders.  Really made a difference.  Deb sells pulling collars too.
Val & Gunner, hittin' the trails in southern NM
"Find a place inside where there's joy, and the joy will burn out the pain"--Joseph Campbell
www.bonanza.com/loneelk

gallatingal

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2017, 08:22:34 am »

I use the Montreal style collars . I have seen online where you can just buy the strap and attach it to the regular traditional style collars.  I think they can help with slipping, but probably not solve it. I know there are those that don't like the tacky tack pads, but it is a "lessor of two evils" thing to me. I think slipping and sliding is irritating to a horse and dangerous to people too. I use the tacky pad on Jigs and it also seems to help with the galling problem. I think most galling is caused by things sliding around. There are those who will think you are evil for using them though. Most people already know I am evil : ;D
Life is short, buy the pony!

fargos handmaiden

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2017, 09:05:09 am »

Thanks for info. Just accidentally ordered a Tucker Montral this morning before seeing your post. Thanks for "heads up". Also your reference to the tacky tack. I have been thinking about that also but also read the "evils" of it you referenced. :-). So thanks for heads up on that too. Hubby needs to use saddle more fo determine if we r going to keep it. If we do but he still has minor but irritating problems with slppage, may go that route. Thanks.

Laurie

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2017, 09:30:46 am »

Like Nobite, we use the Tucker Montreal trooper breast straps. They are made of nice leather and match their saddles, but we have used them with our Tuckers and our M&W troopers that we ride. They are designed to leave the shoulders free from any restriction.  You can also purchase replacement pasts if needed.

kckc

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2017, 11:37:15 am »

evil Nelda... snicker.   
NC
Pages: [1]   Go Up