Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: High fat feeds- hot horse?  (Read 285 times)

Iceangel

High fat feeds- hot horse?
« on: October 10, 2017, 07:51:24 pm »

My little mare has turned into a maniac the last couple of weeks when I first get on. The only change was I started her on Nutrena Empower.  It is a high fat grain.   I didn't think fat could cause a horse to get hot as they say but otherwise maybe it's the colder weather.  I also considered saddle fit but once we get going on the ride she settles down.   It's like the first ten minutes she won't stand still.  Strong fall heat cycle? 

kckc

Re: High fat feeds- hot horse?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2017, 07:54:14 pm »

how old is she?  I just had a conversation with a vet dentist who said that caps on young horse's teeth can cause sudden different attitudes
NC

KysaSD

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2017, 05:56:28 am »

Read the rest of the ingredients.  Some mares are very sensitive to soy products, and some horses are very sensitive to alfalfa.
Kysa, South Dakota, 2 Mountain Horses, and a Mini, yes, I am crazy!

gallatingal

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2017, 07:22:19 am »

I had not been giving my hot headed spotted saddle horse anything but  a balancer for the last few years, and we are talking a pound a day. I quit that entirely, now he gets nothing but a flake of alfalfa and fall pasture. He has turned into a complete quiet little mouse.  I would like to get a vitamin supplement into him and balance things out a little better , but I am kind of liking this little old lady level quiet fellow.  I would try giving her nothing for a couple of weeks and see what happens.
Life is short, buy the pony!

kckc

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2017, 07:56:15 am »

Nelda,   you should try the Ultimate Pro Add from Progressive or the Hay/grass balancer from Horse Tech.  Neither of those have affected my horses  - I know horse tech will send you a sample good for a few days and they refund also.   Not sure about progressive which is what my horses are on 

NC

oncidium

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2017, 06:29:27 pm »

Flax can cause this in some horses. 

Fat is calories.  Depends on the fat, and what the fat is.  Ever horse is unique.  Some have probs some don't.  Corn oil is fat but not a grain persay.  Define "fat" in the feed source you are feeding. 

Easy fix is to remove the new stuff you are feeding and see what happens.

O

If you do not know where you are going, any road will take you there.  Sterling Holloway (best known as the voice of Winnie the Pooh)

If you, the generic you, not any one specific you . . .

Little Freckles

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2017, 11:55:11 am »

are you using Empower Boost or Balance?  If you are just needing a ration balancer and don't have wt issues, Balance is the better choice.  Boost is for hard keepers or horses in hard use who need the extra energy.
Susan, close to Springfield, IL

Iceangel

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2017, 06:31:36 am »

I am using Empower Boost.  She is 19 yrs old and started dropping some weight. I wanted the extra calories. Yes it does say for extra energy so i am sure getting that! LOL.  Otherwise she is on Triple Crown 30 her ration balancer.  I took her off of it and will resume when riding is over. I haven't ridden her yet to see how she is being off of it for 4 days. Might take longer. 

It has high-fat rice bran and flaxseed.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 06:55:35 am by Iceangel »

MyBoyG

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2017, 05:46:47 pm »

I had two take G off Nutrena feeds because they contain soy.  Soy and/or Alfalfa fire him up.  We're using Timothy hay pellets and Dumor Senior Combo daily supplement.  He's doing very well on it.

Horsemanship, the wonderful never ending journey of learning!   Every job is a self-portrait of the person who does it.  Autograph your work with excellence.

Walkin45

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2017, 05:57:16 pm »

I have always fed a higher fat feed. Plus have used rice bran for more energy yet. I am feedin a 10% fat now .

Iceangel

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2017, 07:50:24 am »

Nutrena Empower has 22% fat.

Walkin45

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2017, 01:12:05 pm »

That's not really a feed is it. ? More like a balancer or supplements ?

Iceangel

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2017, 04:27:03 pm »

I just give her a cup.  It's a supplement.

Iceangel

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2017, 07:27:43 am »

Yay!!!!!  I got my nice quiet mare back. It was the Nuterna Empower Endure high fat feed. I took her off of it a week ago and went on a camping trip and she was so good!!! This is a first for me where the feed effects the horse so much and I see it to such an extreme.

kckc

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2017, 07:56:14 am »

yay for you !! I had a gaited appaloosa mare here for a few weeks and I found that a handful of oats, ,just a handful, made her unhappy to be touched or brushed.   
NC
Pages: [1]   Go Up