Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What causes cinch rubs...and can we discuss cinches?  (Read 280 times)

Cashela

What causes cinch rubs...and can we discuss cinches?
« on: October 10, 2017, 08:42:28 am »

So I have a dumb question...I ride Cricket not as often as I would like, but on varying terrain and don't seem to have an issue with my cinch.  However, we went to a ride in Vermont in September and it is a hard ride, up an down mountains.  She was starting to rub where the cinch is just behind her elbow so to speak and was swollen.  I know it was caused by the terrain.  I ride with a breast collar but I know my saddle had slid a bit forward going down the hills.  I just use a mohair cinch.  It's a hard ride.   I want to prevent this next year.  What do I do?  Should I buy a crupper?  She wasn't the only horse to have this issue.  The second day I rode, my friend let me borrow her Total Saddle Fit shoulder relief cinch and it didn't seem to make the issue any worse.  I'm not a huge fan of neoprene cinches and it's a little out of my price range!

So can someone offer some advice?  What do you use for hard terrain or even every day normal use?  How can i prevent this issue next year?  It made me feel terrible.  We had this issue one other year with Kit at this same ride when my friend was riding her, in a neoprene cinch.  I know it's because of all of the up and down the mountains that the horses aren't used to.  My normal ride includes hills, but nothing like what Tunbridge has to offer.
Jenn-New Hampshire

NoBite

• Administrator
Re: What causes cinch rubs...and can we discuss cinches?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2017, 08:50:06 am »

For years we have used girths made by Teddy Lancaster at Runningbear.com. I use her Sport Girth - Wool Fleece. She uses Toklat for her fleece. Teddy can custom make girths of nearly any length. Her work is exceptional and the girths last a very long time.
- Life is short. Ride your best horse.

John Maldaner, western Kentucky
Legs, MFT, 1999   Bandit, TWH, 2005   Smokey, TWH, 2010

KysaSD

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2017, 09:28:25 am »

I have two horses at do this...and my answer has been a woolback girth.  I get mine from Triple E, but they use the same wool fleece John is talking about.
Kysa, South Dakota, 2 Mountain Horses, and a Mini, yes, I am crazy!

Cashela

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2017, 10:46:25 am »

Ok thank you for the suggestions.  I will get one . 
Jenn-New Hampshire

kckc

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2017, 12:00:10 pm »

my two riding boys both gall just easily - for Zu it's the loose skin in front of the girth that moves back and forth over the edge of the girth ... I just bought and in the trial period of the Total Fit girth which is cut back away from the elbow area but still fits in the girth area  - you might look those up - they give your money and shpping back if you don't like it.  So far it's helping my boths.
NC

Pasolady

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2017, 06:01:13 am »

Sometimes a small wrinkle in the skin will be caught under the girth.  I and my husband always try to make sure that we pick up each front foot and pull forward to release/smooth out any wrinkle that may be under the girth area.  My husband forgot to do that one day when we rode and his horse Jack came in with a girth gall in that area plus some swelling and heat.  Just something I thought you may be interested in.

Walkin45

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2017, 01:31:02 pm »

I use mohair and neoprene , depends on horse. Cyuppern is definate in order. Train to it first before riding. 
Running bear carries quality stuff.

riding the sun

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2017, 07:26:45 pm »

It might help if you convert your saddle to centerfire rigging.  Then you can move the cinch further back.  Here is one I have. 

https://www.facebook.com/centerfireYriggingconverter/
My favorite trail is the next one

gallatingal

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2017, 06:18:04 am »

Strangely I kept moving the cinch further back and that is not always the cure. Sometimes center fire destabilizes the saddle and the whole shebang comes forward.  The girth would slide forward into its favorite little galling spot after awhile. The fix for Jigsaw was adding a back cinch so that the saddle was snug and square..  I found the advice on the web, but for the life of me I cannot find that article again.  I now use the enduro type english billets and that keeps the back of the saddle down snug.  Also he does better with a tacky pad that keeps things from slipping and sliding.  I had used a neoprene girth with Eldorado and he never galled. After I sold him she went with softer more forgiving girths and he started galling. I could not convince her to go back to the neoprene because it grabs and does not slide forward on it's own. There is not one answer for every horse unfortunately, but this is what I have had success with.
Life is short, buy the pony!

Cashela

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2017, 07:53:04 am »

My saddle is a Crest Ridge and I use the center fire rigging.  If I do by a crupper, there is going to have to be some significant training before I will sit my butt in the saddle ;)  Don't ask me how I know this is needed ;) 

I'm not in love with neoprene and hesitate to go there.  I think I'm going to buy one of those fluffy cinches.  Although I don't love the idea of it getting wet and muddy.  Argh, so frustrating.  I just want my horse to be comfortable.  I have a friend that lives in the mountains and his wife's horse has rubs all the time! 
Jenn-New Hampshire

kckc

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2017, 08:48:21 am »

well, 12 miles on dusty with the total fit girth and he has a rub about 3 or 4 inches in front of the girth !  in the area that is cut back to give the elbow room.   I have to check that I am not putting the girth/breast collar piece tight (wondering if that might be pulling the girth forward?)   Also have to check whether this girth fits him well as it is a bit longer that he really needs.   Tried to get one that would fit both D & Z.   He also just has so much loose skin that when he strides I can see move.   BUT it's a small rub and not awful so probably keeping the girth.  I would have liked the one with the interchangeable liners but whew... money.
No rubs using that girth with Zu but he only went a few miles without major hills so not sure it was a fair test.
NC

Walkin45

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2017, 11:03:29 am »

My cousin swears by the mattes. She used in on Stella for 10 days. About 15-20 miles per day on a total u conditioned horse.

gallatingal

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2017, 11:53:04 am »

KC have you used that Anita Howe girth on Dusty?
Life is short, buy the pony!

kckc

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2017, 04:21:19 pm »

I think we tried it on him initially and it's a tad long but now he' gained a little might try again - works pretty well with Zu  but I'm just not a fan of the tucker saddle which is the only one I can use it on so I have used it if I have to ride him when he hasn't healed
NC
Pages: [1]   Go Up