Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Boots to protect fetlock  (Read 71 times)

Cashela

Boots to protect fetlock
« on: October 10, 2017, 08:32:56 am »

Hey, was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on boots to protect Cricket's fetlock from rubs.   I've used SMB boots in the past.  Didn't know if that was my best option or if there was something better.  I don't use them every ride because it only seems to happen when we are riding in a group and she is trying to "keep" up with other horses.  I guess because when we ride with my friend we don't do a lot of gaiting/trotting etc.  Thanks in advance :)
Jenn-New Hampshire

KysaSD

• Administrator
Re: Boots to protect fetlock
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2017, 08:40:46 am »

Can you explain this a bit more?  Do you mean forging....where the back foot catches the front foot?  Or do you mean the hoof boots are rubbing on the coronary band?
Kysa, South Dakota, 2 Mountain Horses, and a Mini, yes, I am crazy!

Cashela

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2017, 08:44:18 am »

She gets this rub that is about the size of a dime on her the inside of her front leg. 
Jenn-New Hampshire

KysaSD

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2017, 09:26:59 am »

Not sure why that happens,  but I would recommend splint boots.
Kysa, South Dakota, 2 Mountain Horses, and a Mini, yes, I am crazy!

vruste

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2017, 12:03:56 pm »

Sounds like most any sports boot or brushing boot will do the trick for you as long as it fits well.  You might prefer more of a brushing boot for trails as they generally aren't a fabric that will pick up burrs and sticks as readily as a sports medicine boot.  Kinda sounds like your horse interferes a bit, and it's more exaggerated at a faster speed (which isn't surprising), so when you speed up it's just enough extra action to cause some rubbing that is a near miss at slower speeds.  If you're happy with the SMB's they should be fine.  They have a tendency to collect sand and dirt inside which can irritate, so watch that.  They collect burrs and stickers of various plants on the outsides too.  You could get a splint boot or brushing boot of more of a pvc material or leather that would reduce both of those problems as long as it also covers the area that rubs.
Pages: [1]   Go Up