Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Equine Affaire in Massachusetts  (Read 272 times)

GloriousJourney

• View Profile
Equine Affaire in Massachusetts
« on: October 03, 2017, 02:02:08 pm »

This is my year to go..I try to make it to every "odd" year one. Is anyone planning on attending this year? Liz Graves will be doing several clinics this year.
Lesley in Jupiter

caglover

• View Profile
Re: Equine Affaire in Massachusetts
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2017, 05:17:05 pm »

We go (also volunteer at) the EA in Ohio.  Every year it seems to be getting smaller.  There are not as many vendors, not as many horses...
What there is good, but much less than even 5 years ago.  Part of the problem in Ohio, I have been told, is the cost of the venue.

GloriousJourney

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2017, 10:32:07 am »

I go to the Massachusetts one for a couple reasons...first...I was born, grew up and lived in the immediate area of it for almost 40 years. No maps needed, try I to catch up with some people I know there, as well as my niece. Second, I did attend the Ohio event one year and was very disappointed in the volume of things that they had. Most of the vendors offered the same items, and the clinics, etc. were not nearly as extensive as Massachusetts. Always wanted to go to California, but they don't do it anymore. One of these days I will try to get to a Western States Horse Expo, though.
Lesley in Jupiter

MyBoyG

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2017, 05:41:32 pm »

I just posted under the ShowPen!   G and I have been selected to ride in all three of Liz Graves clinic sessions.  We did this in 2011 and had a blast, so I'm really looking forward to working with Liz again, she really is the best.  If you're coming to EA, please be sure to stop by and say hello!! 

Thursday 11/9 - 5:15 pm - Young Arena: 5 Essential Elements of Easy Gaited Horsemanship
Friday 11/10 - 11:15 am - Young Arena: Learning to Ride the Easy Gaited Horse from top down
Friday 11/10 - 5:45 pm - Mallary Arena:  Rating the Easy Gaited Horse through Upward and Downward transitions

The coolest part is I'll be riding G in a Bosal.  We've only picked it back up again recently and taking lessons with our barn owner to get ready.  I'm going to take our mechanical short shank hackamore just in case, but G has been doing great the past few lessons.  Liz wants to showcase a gaited horse that gaits with non traditional headgear.  This should be a ton of fun, and I know I'll learn a lot, as Liz is a pro with the Bosal.

Horsemanship, the wonderful never ending journey of learning!   Every job is a self-portrait of the person who does it.  Autograph your work with excellence.

Walkin45

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2017, 05:55:25 pm »

Sounds like fun!

misstux

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2017, 08:16:34 am »

Hope you have a blast!

slamduncan

• ACE my next project
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2017, 01:26:06 pm »

I found out this am that my trainer and his drill team will be doing 2 rides of Fresians in Pink.  When I know days and times I will post it is is really a treat to watch.
Judi and the Boys, Rhode Island

MyBoyG

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2017, 10:51:02 am »

Thanks, it should be fun.  Working with Liz is always a treat, and she always manages to find like minded horse(wo)men for her clinics.

Judi, post the info when you get a chance, I'd love to see the drill team.

Horsemanship, the wonderful never ending journey of learning!   Every job is a self-portrait of the person who does it.  Autograph your work with excellence.

slamduncan

• ACE my next project
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2017, 12:14:29 pm »

Will do.  You have yourself a ton of fun.  I'm not sure if I'll get up there this year.  Have a big show up there next weekend.  Lots of driving from RI to W. Springfield.

MyBoyG

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2017, 06:04:46 pm »

Well, as expected we had a blast.  Hubby and I had a nice long quiet lunch with Liz on Thursday and it was awesome to catch up on each other's lives.  It's so wonderful to talk to her about horses, as she has such an extensive background and philosophy that aligns with ours  I love hearing the stories about her mom, as she seems like she was one tough cookie, when she had to be. But she passed down her love and respect for horses to Liz, and it shines through her.

This year was actually better for me than 2011, as I was able to learn a ton about riding in a Bosal.  As expected I got some weird comments about riding in a dressage saddle and a Bosal, lol.  Liz loved it. It's about as non standard gaited gear as you can get. At the first riding clinic on Thursday afternoon, she asked me if I had a more sturdy headstall I could use with it though, as the Bosal hanger I had didn't allow the Bosal to remain in balance, which may have been part of the reason I fussed with my hands so much - the contact kept changing. It also was a big transition from the six rides I had with our barn's trainer/owner in 'cowboy' fashion versus riding the Bosal in a more classical manner. When I got home I switched it out with the headstall I used on my hackamore. It's an English/Western combo I created from two bridles.  It worked great. By the afternoon clinic on Friday, my hands were better and G's timing got better.  It was interesting to watch the few videos hubby took and I could certainly see when I fussed with my hand placement, G's timing went off - but when I had it right, he was a champ.

We rode with two other horses, a spotted Walker with Anita on board (she was riding her husbands horse) and a Peruvian Paso with Bonnie up.  We rode with Bonnie in 2011, but she had a different horse. She's such a quiet and beautiful rider, and her PP was just a joy to watch. He was a rescue, and she's only owned him for about a year.  You would never have known it, as they looked like they'd been riding for years. Well, except the canter.  He hasn't quite figured that out yet :)

We also got to work with Liz in her first ground demo Thursday after lunch, where she showed us hands on exercises she does on horses head and neck and belly & wither lifts and the proper way to get a great lumbar/hip tuck, prior to riding.  It was great, as there were two horses so when she worked on the other, I got to practice on G. 

G may now be an olde timer at 20, but one thing has not changed.  He feeds off of other horses energy. For our last clinic on Friday night we were standing outside the Mallory building and the windchills were in the teens. I went around the corner to get out of the wind and came upon all the Fresians getting ready for their demo. There were carriages, one horse being ground driven, one under saddle and two yearlings. They were all 'up, up, up' and G wouldn't stand still; he pulled back a couple of times; popped up about a foot off the ground and the two of us became unglued.  As calm as I was trying to be on the outside, my insides were churning. At that point I wasn't sure I wanted to ride in such a big arena that we'd never been in. It didn't help that I had to pee at this point, the cold was going through me. lol. When we finally got into the arena ten minutes late, I asked hubby to walk G around the Mallory arena and ran to the ladies room. When I got back G was a tad calmer and I felt like riding again :). This clinic was riding transitions, from walk to gait, walk to canter, gait to canter.  We were having a blast cantering until Anita's horse decided to buck her off.  She was a real trooper and dusted herself and got back up, but Liz thought perhaps he got a bit too excited cantering, so we went back to gaiting. This was the smallest audience, but it was close to dinner time and it was fareeezing!    We really had an awesome time and we got to spend quality time talking to Liz and a couple of old friends we hadn't seen since 2011.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 06:07:03 pm by MyBoyG »

slamduncan

• ACE my next project
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2017, 05:28:24 am »

Sounds like you had fun and learned a ton.  LOL on the Fresians getting ready, the horse in harness is the top scoring driving Fresian in North America and she tied the highest ever score posted in Holland. 

Yep it can get nasty cold at EA in Mass for sure.  One year it snowed!!! That was back in 2003 I think.  It was the first year I took Duncan. 
I am so glad you had fun and your pictures are awesome.

NoRegrets

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2017, 05:39:33 am »

Good for you for going.  Sounds like it was a fun time.  Thanks for sharing the pictures.
Debbie
Pages: [1]   Go Up