Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pure Country Campground  (Read 102 times)

Karen

• View Profile
    • Woodland Brittanys
Pure Country Campground
« on: September 25, 2017, 09:23:03 am »

http://www.purecountrycampground.com/Default.aspx

This weekend was my 2nd trip there...New Berlin, NY, about 40 minutes or so north of Binghamton. 

Jim and Lorraine, who run the campground are great.  Friendly, helpful, the bathrooms are super clean, the campground is immaculate.  They have an obstacle course for your horse, a lit riding ring, a nice club house with a big screen TV, and they serve breakfast for $5.00 a person.  When they have events, they do a 'pass a dish' dinner on Fridays and serve dinner for a fee on Saturdays.  There's always a campfire in the evening, sometimes with someone playing a guitar.

This past weekend was their "gas saver" weekend.  All campsites were half off, so I stayed at a full hook up site from noon Friday - 3 p.m. on Sunday for $75.  With that came a large, grassy paddock for my horses, plenty big enough for 3 horses with room for them to stretch their legs a little, and not standing in mud.  They also have a bunch of covered pipe stalls.  They allow "well behaved" dogs in the campground and of course, on the trails.  They are not sticklers for time....they told me that even though the website says you have to pull out by 11, there as no reason for me to rush...get a good ride in on Sunday, take my time and pack up whenever I wanted, which was awesome.

Now for the riding....130 miles of trails.  You can pick up a trail head about a half mile down a gravel road that I've yet to see a car on, and there are several other trail heads a bit farther down.  Footings go from soft to rocky, so I'd recommend at least front shoes (or boots).  There is water on the trails...several streams and ponds for your horses to drink from.  We didn't find the trails overly challenging, although you are riding through the forest, so you're up and down hills, through streams, we crossed a few wooden bridges (others were made strictly for snow mobiles and not safe for horses so you do have to be careful of that), so definitely not boring.  You can arrange to have a guide if you want, or they have trail maps available.  The trails we rode on were well marked.

As for wildlife, we saw bear tracks but no bear, heard coyotes, saw a porcupine the last time we were there, along with some deer.  Nothing terribly exotic.

Karen

Walkin45

• View Profile
Re: Pure Country Campground
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2017, 12:59:25 pm »

Brookfield or otter creek?

Karen

• View Profile
    • Woodland Brittanys
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2017, 01:08:07 pm »

Brookfield
Karen

Walkin45

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2017, 04:07:30 pm »

Brookfield or otter creek?

Walkin45

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2017, 04:08:07 pm »

You must have gone to an area not trashed?

Karen

• View Profile
    • Woodland Brittanys
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2017, 08:56:19 am »

Trashed?   I didn't see anything remotely "trashed" on the trails we rode.   Even though everyone called it "Brookfield", it was actually Charles E. Baker State Forest.  We rode the southern part of it.
Karen
Pages: [1]   Go Up