Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Adequan question  (Read 476 times)

misstux

Adequan question
« on: September 23, 2017, 04:46:24 pm »

Strider, my wonderful boy who I cannot keep sound was found to be lame in all 4 legs yesterday.  He fell while I was leading him down a gentle slope a week ago.  I knew he was off again.  He was on Previcox when he fell.  Anyway, coffin joints in front, hocks in back, slight sensitivity on 3 of 4 suspensories.  Coffin joints were injected yesterday.  Hocks will be done in 2 weeks.  We had to space out because Mr Horse is IR.  Does anyone know if Adequan will help keep him comfortable?

Melody

slamduncan

• ACE my next project
Re: Adequan question
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2017, 07:18:59 am »

I have used Adaquan IM for many years on a few different horses for different issues with good results

I do not believe in injecting joints,BUT that is me and the horses I have used the IM on were and are all performance horses that go on the flat.

I would think you need to talk long and hard to your vet to figure out what needs to be done.  I also believe in massage work on horses, I have never had one not maintain and even improve with the 2 protocols together.  JMO I am NOT a Vet.
Judi and the Boys, Rhode Island

kckc

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2017, 05:55:53 pm »

Oh miss tux ... I hate to hear your boy is doing poorly
NC

misstux

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2017, 08:21:15 am »

Vet has diagnosed Strider as neurological.  Other vet mentioned that when i gave her the initial diagnosis.  My heart is breaking.

fargos handmaiden

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2017, 08:14:32 am »

Before you give up, look up reviews on Amazon and Valley Vet on Heiro Insulin Resistance Supplement. Expensive but money-back guarantee.

We just started.giving it to our IR trait mare so cannot vouch for effectiveness yet. Some reviews cover problems and resolution on lameness issues related to IR.

NoBite

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2017, 10:16:36 am »

Before you give up, look up reviews on Amazon and Valley Vet on Heiro Insulin Resistance Supplement. Expensive but money-back guarantee.

We just started.giving it to our IR trait mare so cannot vouch for effectiveness yet. Some reviews cover problems and resolution on lameness issues related to IR.

Absolutely agree!!! I used Heiro on our IR horse for years with very good results. Same company makes an excellent Vitamin E supplement, which might also be a consideration for you.
- Life is short. Ride your best horse.

John Maldaner, western Kentucky
Legs, MFT, 1999   Bandit, TWH, 2005   Smokey, TWH, 2010

misstux

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2017, 02:47:32 pm »

I have ordered a 60 day supply of Heiro  Not much to lose at this point  If it doesn't make a difference I won't order more

LadyAndMinerva

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2017, 09:50:58 am »

I hope it helps your boy like it did mine.  I noticed Captain's attitude improve at liberty within days.
Easing my way into easy gaits one day at a time.

misstux

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2017, 10:42:04 am »

I waited to try him on the Heiro because he was doing a month's worth of compounded EPM medication to see if that would help.  Nope.  He has been on the Heiro for almost 2 weeks now.  I couldn't do the loading dose as there was nobody to give him a morning bucket.  That being said, the tiny bit of crusty neck is gone and his feet look better.  There is still a tiny bit of wall separation, but in general that is improved and his frogs look better.  His back end did quit working again on Saturday and he almost went down.  Yesterday he looked wonderful in turnout playing.  His vet is coming on Sunday afternoon.

misstux

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2018, 12:02:06 pm »

Diane did bloodwork onStrider.  He came back IR, which I knew all along.  He is not Cushings, which I thought was very possible.  He had the highest level of Leptin she has ever seen, says he is a metabolic slug and this is causing his lethargy.  Just ordered his meds & she will re-evaluate after he has been on for 2 weeks

PAWalker

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2018, 03:47:29 pm »

Has Strider been tested for Fibrotic Myopathy or PSSM?

https://www.horsejournals.com/four-horse-diseases-resulting-hind-leg-lameness

It sounds as if Strider is dealing with more than one issue?  Metabolic and also neurological?  That's why I wonder if he might be dealing with PSSM.

I can't offer anything helpful as, other than insulin resistance and equine metabolic syndrome, I have not dealt with the other issues you describe.

If you don't see progress with whatever your vet has prescribed,  my only thought is to get him to an equine university.   There IS an answer, but it's not getting found.

Best wishes for a successful treatment for Strider:)

abbypeaches

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2018, 04:44:32 pm »

Have you quizzed the people on ecirhorse.org yet? They might offer some ideas on what else to look into.

Good luck- Marilyn
Marilyn and
 Bud, 30 yo reg. MFT gelding, Montana's Silver Mist(Misty) 20 yo MFT & Midnight Rendezvous (Kate) 16 mo mare.

2gaits

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2018, 10:26:09 am »

Neurological? Did the vet say what caused this? I had one that started falling. She was young and at first I thought she was just clumsy. Breeder who is a friend took her back and later she was diagnosed neurological. Vet said she was born that way and it was probably genetically predisposed. Also said what twhs are bred to do means, extreme show gaits, they are a fraction away from having issues. Horse was diagnosed at one of the best facilities around. This mare also showed signs of issues in her jocks by age six. Don't know what eventually happened to her but she was dangerous to ride with the issue and was going lame in the hind last I heard.
Just sharing this because I've been there. I know from experience the heartbreak.  I don't know your financial situation but sometimes the kindest thing is to let one go humanely. Tough but quality of life and pain must be a consideration.

misstux

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2018, 02:13:15 pm »

Strider is responding to compounded EPM medication.  The neighboring barn has had a number of cases.  He has started meds for his high leptin levels.  With him it has always been 1 thing after another, sometimes back to back with no good time in between, sometimes multiple issues at once.  I am hoping to at least be able to hike with him; we are directly across the street from thousand of acres of trails.  If I cannot get any sort of quality of life for him, I will euthanize him. 

stablemind

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2018, 05:36:28 pm »

Just curious, did your vet send a blood sample to be tested for EPM and if so, what were his titers? I'm curious because I'm finishing a 28 day course of Marquis with my gelding, Babe.

It's great to hear Stryder is responding to the EPM meds!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up