Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tie Safe Trailer Tie ?  (Read 254 times)

coolpapabill

Tie Safe Trailer Tie ?
« on: September 14, 2017, 06:51:15 am »

It seems pretty much everyone ties in a slant load trailer.
Has anyone tried the  Tie Safe Trailer Tie ? The velcro
release makes sense to me , break away and no loose
snap swinging around on a frightened horse to hurt him
or you. Plus adjustable length is a bonus. BTW , our horses
haul like a dream , no problems very calm in the trailer and
load on their own. Just better safe than sorry.   Thanks

luvmysmh

Re: Tie Safe Trailer Tie ?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2017, 07:17:18 am »

While it is probably a good idea for most horses, it wouldn't work for Wishbone. 

Two barns that I have boarded in used those for cross-ties.  Wish learned very quickly that if he dropped his head and turned it a certain way the velcro would come undone very easily.  He became so expert at it that I literally couldn't turn my back on him.  He would undo it multiple times just while I was grooming and tacking.  It was very annoying.  I had to ask the barns to please put at least one set of "regular" cross-ties up that I could use.

zipeddodah

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2017, 12:59:28 pm »

I use those ties all the time in my trailers. They work great but they are not designed for tying a horse outside of a trailer because the velcro isn't strong enough to hold a horse if it wants to pull loose. They are designed to pull loose easily if a horse should fall or otherwise get in trouble inside a trailer. They won't stretch and snap like a bungee will do and if the horse does pull loose there's a short strap attached to the halter for easy catching or leading. I love them and my horses seem OK with them too. You can adjust them long enough to let the horse drop it's head into a neutral position but they can't drop all the way to the floor or get their head under the dividers.  None of my guys have ever pulled one loose but they are also very good in the trailer....no rushing to back out.
The only time I've had a near train wreck was when Dodah laid down in my 2 horse trailer ...not sure why, he just decided to lay down ....The tie didn't come loose because he was sternal and he had enough slack so that his head just a little bit elevated. He seemed very comfortable actually. I had to unload the other horse...yes there were 2 horses in that 2 horse trailer....So I unloaded River and then opened the divider so that it wasn't hanging over Dodah. Then I undid the tie and asked him to stand up....I was in the trailer with him doing all this....scary. He got up, stretched and backed out of the trailer. He wasn't panicked. ...I was....and he wasn't injured. I think he laid  down just before we got to our destination so he hadn't been down long and he's not done that little trick since, thank God. Scared me out of a year's growth. Anyway I won't trailer my horses with any other kind of tie and I've tried most of the other types.
Tachie in east Texas
 Sam Houston forest is my back yard!

coolpapabill

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2017, 02:20:38 pm »

Thanks for the the responses. They would only be fore trailering
and not tying outside. Our horses are very quiet while trailering
so they should work great. Also, they were highly recommended
by our Vet.

kckc

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2017, 06:20:52 pm »

interesting... make sure that 33" is long enough for your horses to get their heads down some
NC

Iceangel

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2017, 07:33:45 am »

I have been using those for years. I have had horses start backing before ready and they break but they still respect them after. 

Pilgrim

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2017, 09:20:01 am »

I use a tie safe trailer tie; however, because it is so short, I have it attached to another trailer tie.  This was a blessing when a young horse I was hauling for someone, popped up and got her foot into the hanging hay bag! The tie split apart, she got her foot out, but then blasted out of the trailer (we were loading her and another horse and had gone to get the other horse).  The mare was somewhat easy to catch up again because of the tag end hanging from her halter. No harm/ no injury.
I use a tie-safe cross tie when picketing my horse when camping. I can adjust the length, if necessary, and then I put a few inches of vet-wrap around the loop that is formed by the adjustable section to avoid a head or leg through the loop.
I would much rather have a loose horse than one that becomes injured if anything happened while they are on the picket line. Used one of these for 8 or 9 years with no issues.
I have tried break away halters - only to have a horse break one and backing out of the trailer and getting loose. Now I've got a horse with no halter and no way to grab onto them. The tie safe, I think, is a better option.
For those who have Houdini horses, I'm amazed!!  but maybe a tie safe trailer tie at the wall, with a shorter tie closer to the horse might work.

kckc

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2017, 01:39:44 pm »

I use a breakaway halter in the trailer but it is over top of a regular halter.   
NC
Pages: [1]   Go Up