verify account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A miracle with Savanna  (Read 427 times)

KysaSD

• Administrator
A miracle with Savanna
« on: September 05, 2017, 08:00:54 am »

This is the long version of this story.

I bought Savanna from Stablemind 9 years ago, when Savanna was 6.  A lovely young mare, very forward which is what I like.  About 6 weeks after I received Savanna, I took her on a group ride with a bunch of friends.  I started out riding Savanna, but about a mile into the trail, one of the oth gals was having issues with her 4 years old mare.  This was a horse I had ridden when it was at a trainer, and I knew the young horse.  I volunteered to ride the young horse, but then we needed to rearrange riders.  We put my friend on Shay (whom Jane had been riding), Jane on Savanna, and I rode the young TWH mare.  Near the end of the ride, Jane wanted Savanna to stop still, a skill she still has trouble with.  I always let her move her feet, as long a *I* directed that movement.  Jane refused to let Savanna move her feet until she stood completely still.  Jane finally got off and walked the mile or so back to the parking lot.  From that time, Cyd was the only person I allowed to ride Savanna.  Savanna and I have had a great understanding, and enjoy each other, but is annoying that I cannot use her for guests.

So, last winter.  Once day when I had been riding Savanna, my 6 year old granddaughter asked for a ride.  Well Savanna can certainly do pony rides and has.  But somehow, Ancora ended up with reins actually riding Savanna in he arena.  That worked well, but it was in the covered arena, and not much could go wrong.

So, yesterday, I had too many people wanting to go for a ride.  My only option was to allow someone else to ride Savanna.  And those options came down to my niece, Rose.  She has probably ridden 10 times since she was a young teen (now 31), and all my best of guest horses, the ones that take care of the rider.  But, the only choice left was Savanna, so, I tacked up Savanna and put her up.  The good news is that, becuase she is a novice, she carefully fooled my instructions for what Savanna expected for cues.  The whole ride went wonderful.  When we returned, my niece remarked how much she liked a forward horse.  That it was nice to have a horse that you needed to slow down, rather than one you needed to get after to keep up.  Yep, that is my Savanna. 

So, Savanna succeeded as a novice guest horse in spite of all my fears. 

My niece is in the Teal shirt.
Kysa, South Dakota, 2 Mountain Horses, a Curly Foxtrotter and a Mini, yes, I am crazy!

misstux

Re: A miracle with Savanna
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2017, 08:19:54 am »

What a wonderful story!  Sometimes it works out perfectly 😀

Barb CO

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2017, 07:19:43 pm »

Hey! You've let me ride Savanna.  :) She's a fun ride.

KysaSD

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2017, 09:51:18 pm »

Yes, Barb, but your are hardly a novice rider!
Kysa, South Dakota, 2 Mountain Horses, a Curly Foxtrotter and a Mini, yes, I am crazy!

PathfinderSGF

• Youniquely Jamie Lynn
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2018, 05:52:30 pm »

So glad to hear everything worked out! Its wonderful when our fears or hesitance is not met.  :)

stablemind

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2018, 04:30:44 am »

Well, that is a cool story, but my first amazement was that you were able to go riding yesterday. I'm beyond happy that Savanna has worked out so well for you.

KysaSD

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2018, 05:45:53 am »

Cyd...that is from September.

stablemind

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2018, 07:23:24 am »

Well, of course, I should at least noticed the green grass. I knew you'd had a warm-up and visiting family, but apparently it was too early in the morning for my brain to be fully functioning.
Pages: [1]   Go Up