Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Yahoo! First Real Trail Ride in Years!  (Read 454 times)

KysaSD

• Administrator
Re: Yahoo! First Real Trail Ride in Years!
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2017, 02:34:11 pm »

The above is what I do for my granddaughter, and I attach her camera to her hornbag.  She has dropped the camera out of her hand, but it only drops about 10 inches down the horses side.  She really wants to take photos, and it is a skill and desire I want her to have.  So, I have made is so the camera never hits the ground!
Kysa, South Dakota, 2 Mountain Horses, and a Mini, yes, I am crazy!

ponymare

« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2017, 02:37:57 pm »

Thanks, John!  I'm definitely going to be trying this out. Cheaper than buying a Go Pro and I need to save my pennies!

ponymare

« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2017, 02:41:02 pm »

AAAAND I ordered some!  ;D

kckc

« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2017, 02:58:30 pm »

see, my first thought is I'd get myself strangled... :-) 
NC

ponymare

« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2017, 12:41:25 pm »

I think I'll anchor mine to my horn bag, too.

kckc

« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2017, 07:47:34 pm »

Ponymare... you really need it on you... maybe get a longer strap and put it over one arm and neck ? 
NC

fargos handmaiden

« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2017, 09:05:59 pm »

I saw one picture where they had the go pro camera attached on the chest with a chest strap similar to what a TV detective uses to holster a gun about that position or about the same area as you would wear a decorative pin.  Thought that would be the handiest for reaching the button when you wanted to record or snap a picture.

But I am still confused.  The Go Pro is a camera, not a means of attaching a phone to yourself, correct?  The one I saw that appeared to be the right size for this was the Go Pro 5 which on Amazon was about $359.  Wow!!  I guess I am just not that much of a camera bug, not for trail riding anyway.  Is that what you are referring to?

Putting the phone on a lanyard like you suggestedis clever but also has its drawbacks.  I can't see my phone screen out in the bright sunlight to get to the camera/video.  By the time you go through all that, seems like you would have lost your shot.  Or, like I said, both hands on the wheel with Speedy.  By the time I did all that Speedy would be halfway to the next county and I'd be in the brink, a ditch, or my neck hung in the fork of a tree.  :0(

kckc

« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2017, 09:27:22 pm »

gopro has many many different attachments chest, wrist, helmet, poles, handlebars  ... you can take pictures with it, videos etc.  and the cheap basic one is https://www.walmart.com/ip/GoPro-HERO-Session/49933596 .... this is different than the original hero model I have but mine is old.  there are probably a bunch on ebay that are new for cheaper as the company phased out the original several years ago.   there are some other brands other than gopro but that's the only one I really know anything about
NC

NoBite

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2017, 08:40:59 am »

Putting the phone on a lanyard like you suggestedis clever but also has its drawbacks.  I can't see my phone screen out in the bright sunlight to get to the camera/video.  By the time you go through all that, seems like you would have lost your shot.  Or, like I said, both hands on the wheel with Speedy.  By the time I did all that Speedy would be halfway to the next county and I'd be in the brink, a ditch, or my neck hung in the fork of a tree.  :0(

LOL! You are over-thinking this! Now, perhaps you can't neck-rein your horse and if that's the deal, then using any camera you have to hold won't work for you. But, here is a video I took using the method I described. It's not the most extreme video by a long shot!

Handheld Camera Video

And, to show you the difference a GoPro makes, here is a video by a friend of mine using a GoPro mounted to his helmet. (He also sometimes mounts the GoPro to a long rod and holds it close to the ground to get ground-level videos which are very interesting, but that is even more complicated than holding a phone in your hand!)

GoPro Video
- Life is short. Ride your best horse.

John Maldaner, western Kentucky
Legs, MFT, 1999   Bandit, TWH, 2005   Smokey, TWH, 2010

fargos handmaiden

« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2017, 09:16:10 am »

Wow!  Thanks for link to Walmart cheaper model.  Now, I'm interested.

ponymare

« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2017, 03:37:51 pm »

kckc, I got a new holster for my phone. It's suppose to go around my leg. I can probably just slip it in there. Although I tried to get the velcro flap open the other day and it was tough. That stuff bonds tightly. I can see me doing a side dismount (on my head) trying to pull it free to use it.

We haven't ridden in so long, I probably wont remember how to take pictures. Our best riding time at BSF was taken up with family tours in October. And now I have created a monster. My family wants to hang out there next year as well.  I think I'm turning in my tour guide badge, though, or we will never get to ride.  :P

Walkin45

« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2017, 03:44:16 pm »

I carry my phone in a waist pouch. Fanny pack I guess you call it.

kckc

« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2017, 03:46:26 pm »

Pmare - I've got a picture of you arm in the air pulling at the Velcro as you windmill off the side of your horse !  :-)  Gopro.... I won't even pull my phone out .... just too much grief if I break it  ...and I would break it  :-)
NC

ponymare

« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2017, 10:48:03 am »

Maybe I can ask for a Gopro for Christmas but I will have to wear it in a side mount because I'm always conking my helmet on low hanging branches. (Because I am too busy taking pictures to watch where I'm going.

Yeah, I can easily see me doing a cartoon dismount.  Just hiking this summer, I tripped over a tree root, barely hit the ground and bounced up with my arms in the air like a gymnast, saying "I'm okay, I'm okay!" 8)

kckc

« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2017, 11:59:50 am »

HAHA .... I first had my gopro mounted on top of my helmet (glued mount) and I hit it a lot.   The next helmet I went with the elastic mount that goes around the helmet and the camera sits right at the front so it's no longer higher than the helmet.   I want a wrist strap to try and I want a newer camera with the remote on/off but well, money and heck, my original is still going well so I dare not wish it away
NC
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up