Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Yahoo! First Real Trail Ride in Years!  (Read 385 times)

fargos handmaiden

• View Profile
Yahoo! First Real Trail Ride in Years!
« on: September 03, 2017, 07:52:07 pm »

Got to meet a group at Trace Trails near Athens.  Super group of people, super pretty ranch, big rolling green meadows and mostly shady trails.  Super nice people around our own age, 50, 60 and 70 crowd.  We did 7 miles in 93 degrees.  Humidity was a killer but was having too much fun to worry about it too much. Owner of camp a really great guy. 

Group came in for day ride only but we camped Friday and Saturday night.  Was so nice to get away from our flat, mostly treeless area to a pretty piece of East Texas.  Camping was a bit primitive.  No sewer or electric.  Batteries in truck camper gave us plenty of light but of course would not run a.c. We handled it by staying outdoors every possible minute.  Bedtime, it was pretty uncomfy until about 1 a.m. and then it would cool off enough to be wonderful with windows open.

Owner let us use water for horses as long as we released hose when others were present.  As far as camping went, we were it, so we pretty much had the ranch's 1000 acres to ourselves.

Bad news was our alternator went out a few miles coming in Friday night so hubby didn't get to ride Saturday with group...had to wait on alternator.  So I went out with group and had a blast!  I had saddled up Speedy to take, but his behavior was far worse than I had ever seen him act just tied to the trailer.  Was acting like a wild mustang who had never been touched. Don't know what got into him.  At any rate, seemed a poor way to make a first impression so I took the snot back to the pen and got Fargo who is now about 23 1/2.  He was wonderful.  I think it has been so long, he enjoyed it as much as I did. In typical TW style, hardly broke a sweat compared to the others. We had one scary incident, let us just call him "Cowboy."  Cowboy decided he wanted to make his horse swim across a pond we had all stopped to water the horses.  Fargo had his butt way up the hill, front feet sunk in deep mud, head down to get a drink when Cowboy's horse went down with a crash right into us.  He apparently lost his footing on the pond's steep muddy grade before he was out far enough to swim.  I do not now how Fargo pulled those old legs out of that sucking black mud and twirled fast enough to keep from going down with the other horse but he did, saving us both from serious injury I am sure. Never panicked and just picked up as if nothing had happened after he had cleared the other horse.  God, I love that horse!!!!

Otherwise, ride was uneventful and super enjoyable.

Sunday, when we almost had the whole place to ourselves, we did saddle up Moonshine and Speedy.  Since neither Robert or I can easily get on/off our horses anymore, we avoided the gaits which did limit where we could ride, but we still enjoyed our short ride down the trails we could reach.  Apparently whatever got into Speedy's craw had left.  He did ok, not great, but certainly manageable, except for a brief period when he lost site of Moonshine.  Thought we were going to have a rodeo, but luckily not.

Moonshine was still being a bit of a jerk, not wanting to obey the bridle or slow down for Hubby, but she did seem to settle down a bit more as the ride went on. 

We even took one of our goats we are training for packing with us.  People got a kick out of him, he is such a dog in the disguise of a goat :0).  Several people showed up with dogs and I though we would have to put him in the trailer, but those were absolutely the best dogs I have ever seen on a trail ride.  They paid no attention to him.

We were entertained every night by howling.  We asked the ranch owner why they sounded so different from our coyotes.  He said they have a lot out there that have crossed with dogs.  Sounds a little frightening to me but he said they have never caused anyone around there any serious problems.

We handled the lack of a.c. by just staying out as late as possible.  Bedtime was a bit stuffy/hot until about 1 a.m.  Then with windows open, it would cool off enough to be great sleeping in the fresh air. :)

At any rate, I am so glad and thankful our first trek back into trail riding was so delightful.  Wish I could ride with them every weekend, but they are pretty far away.  But we hope to do so with at least some degree of frequency.  Sorry, no pics.  I lost my phone.

KysaSD

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Yahoo! First Real Trail Ride in Years!
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2017, 05:57:10 am »

Oh, Connie, what a great report.  So glad you guys are getting back in the saddle!
Kysa, South Dakota, 2 Mountain Horses, and a Mini, yes, I am crazy!

stablemind

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2017, 08:41:24 am »

I very much enjoyed reading of your adventures!

fargos handmaiden

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2017, 05:18:58 pm »

Thank you, you two precious ladies.  Wish we were all closer because I sure enjoyed my ride with you guys.  Connie

ponymare

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2017, 02:11:33 pm »

Sounds like you had a lovely camping trip!  Glad you got to hit the trails again and hope you get to do it again soon!

kckc

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2017, 02:53:20 pm »

gosh that sounds like a great trip !
NC

NoBite

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2017, 06:31:12 am »

What a grand adventure!

Did you lose your phone while on horseback? Just curious, because, if so, I might have an idea for you.
- Life is short. Ride your best horse.

John Maldaner, western Kentucky
Legs, MFT, 1999   Bandit, TWH, 2005   Smokey, TWH, 2010

fargos handmaiden

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2017, 08:54:41 am »

Ha! I suspect, No Bite, a bit of sarcasm in the phone remark because I did not provide pictures. Well, quite honestly, I am afriad to take my phone because if I did drop it I would probably just have to leave it because I am so vertically challenged, I would never be able to get back on my horse unless someone called in a crane.  We stopped for lunch. They had to talk me off my horse assuring me they could get me back on. Even holding Fargo near an incline, my 70 year old legs just about couldn't pull me up. The lady helping me planted her hand with a mighty whallop right in the middle of my------ with a mighty indignant push to get me up.  :o. That did it.  ::)

However girls at cafe requested pics of what was supposed to be our second ride this weekend (different post  :-X) so I have to figure out how to carry phone without losing it so sugestions appreciated. My real worry is dropping it when trying to take a picture on Speedy as he is pretty much a two-hands-on-the-steering-wheel-all the-time kind of horse. So suggestions there really appreciated.

ponymare

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2017, 10:05:19 am »

Sounds like you might need a Go Pro! My horse is pretty forgiving so I take WAAAY too many pictures from the saddle.  I've only dropped it maybe once, but ALMOST dropped it several times! :P

kckc

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2017, 10:06:17 am »

go pro - not expensive and built to be used on trails and such... hooks to your helmet, your wrist  etc...   I won't take my phone out because I can't afford to replace it and I would surely drop it
NC

ponymare

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2017, 12:30:31 pm »

So you can put the go pro on your wrist, too?  Maybe I need to investigate that one myself! I've had some near misses with my phone! ;D

kckc

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2017, 01:15:26 pm »

yes they have a neat wrist strap that turns allows the camera to turn - don't get the cheap knock off that is only straight forward.   
NC

NoBite

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2017, 01:19:26 pm »

Ha! I suspect, No Bite, a bit of sarcasm in the phone remark because I did not provide pictures. Well, quite honestly, I am afriad to take my phone because if I did drop it I would probably just have to leave it because I am so vertically challenged, I would never be able to get back on my horse unless someone called in a crane.

NO! No sarcasm at all! I have dropped/temporarily lost my phone while riding twice. After the second time I figured out a way to keep this from happening again! That is what I wanted to share with you.

With all due thanks to my wife, who's eagle eyes found my phone each time it fell out of my shirt pocket, I came upon a solution. Using an identical phone case to the one I use daily, I attached a Tarp & Tent Adhesive Grommet to the back of the case. Then, I used a simple lanyard clipped into the grommet. Always wear a shirt with a pocket. Put the lanyard around my neck and my phone in my pocket. If it becomes dislodged, it dangles from my neck until I can put it back in my pocket. I can take pictures, even standing in a creek, with confidence that I won't lose my phone. I've taken many moving videos, even gaiting at pretty good speed, in this manner. Here is what it looks like on the back of the case:

ponymare

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2017, 01:25:02 pm »

Cool idea with the lanyard.  I've never attached a grommet, but I suppose you have to make a hole in the case for this to work? 

In which case, I might get a cheaper case just for such occasions.  I've been trying to figure out a way to attach my phone to ME. ;D

NoBite

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2017, 02:01:38 pm »

Cool idea with the lanyard.  I've never attached a grommet, but I suppose you have to make a hole in the case for this to work? 

In which case, I might get a cheaper case just for such occasions.  I've been trying to figure out a way to attach my phone to ME. ;D

No! I linked to a Tarp & Tent Grommet that comes in a 4-pack for about $10. It has an adhesive backing. Peel off the tape and stick it on the back of your second phone case. The grommet is designed to attach to the corner of a tent or large tarp. That adhesive is strong!! I purchased a second phone case of the same type I use without the grommet. I switch my phone into the grommet case when I go riding. I keep it in the tack room of our horse trailer. You can buy lanyards at a variety of places. An office supply store will have them. Many conventions give them away.

Here is the link to the grommet:  Tarp & Tent Grommet Tab

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up