Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Saddle slips on Moonshine  (Read 1143 times)

fargos handmaiden

Re: Saddle slips on Moonshine
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2017, 08:47:17 pm »

We have ordered a cheapy from Amazon. Called.a.Mustang soft saddle with a monkey grip. Supposed to have 30 days return rights from Amazon. Cheap enough not to feel hit or dynamited Iin bank account if it doesn't seem improvement. Thefew reviews on that one were pretty good so we'll see.

Getting intrigued after researching treeless how many horses muscle up or improve their topline. My biggest concern is seeing Fargo's topline deteriate at his age. I have tried the tiummy tickles to get him to lift it. Either I can't hit the right spot or he is.just non-responsive. Imus also had an exercise for that where you drag your fingernails down both sides of rump to get them to lift but again no response. Would be wonderful if.a.treeless could help but then I read not.suitable for riders of my weight. Very disappointing.

If and once I am sure we have a good saddle for Moonshine, we will reluctantly sell our Imus saddles. I have loved mine so hate to but will have to recoup some of this money.

kckc

« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2017, 06:33:31 am »

isn't the mustang saddle basically a treeless?  like a bareback pad with a seat and stirrups?  Don't guess I've seen one in person so I could be wrong.   As far as your weight and a treeless that also depends on you, your horse, how you ride.   If you are unbalanced and ride more than a few hours at a time it's not good for your or your horse no matter what saddle you use.   If you are balanced and ride only a few hours a week it isn't likely to hurt your horse.  If you are riding 50 miles a week then I'd say your horses back and your balance are going to make the difference as well as whether you have a quality treeless pad under you, or a good paneled treeless and make sure you don't have any spinal pressure from that saddle when you are in the seat. 
NC

fargos handmaiden

« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2017, 09:35:16 am »

Yes, it is treeless.  Hubby and I had another talk about his riding "side-saddle" so we will see.  I am desperate.  Gallatangal, I think my hubby was cloned from your Hubby somewhere along the line.  Let us hope this works.  I am desperate to find something that won't slip for him and is comfortable for her.  She is a Frankenstein horse, the withers and shoulders of an Angus bull attached to an oil drum.  Try keeping a saddle on that!

Since this is our first adventure into "treeless," cheap but good reviews and easily returnable seemed like best way to go.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 09:37:25 am by fargos handmaiden »

misstux

« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2017, 06:18:48 pm »

Getting intrigued after researching treeless how many horses muscle up or improve their topline. My biggest concern is seeing Fargo's topline deteriate at his age. I have tried the tiummy tickles to get him to lift it. Either I can't hit the right spot or he is.just non-responsive.

Get hold of a copy of Tom Mayes' dvd "Melding With Equus".  http://tommayes.net.  It's worth every cent.

fargos handmaiden

« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2017, 08:38:46 pm »

Thanks, Misstux. However not sure why recommendation. Does tape cover restoring an old.horse's topline? We don't have lameness issues. I pretty well have his arthritis under control as best I can tell.

fargos handmaiden

« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2017, 08:51:45 pm »

New saddle.arrived today. Robert tried it tonight for short time. It did not slip while riding. I had him try to remount after he got back, mounting from ground and yes, it did slip then. As one reviewer called it, it may be more of a glorified bareback pad than treeless saddle. However Hubby was just grateful it stayed put while riding. He did feel Moonshine's attitude, performance and obedience was immediately better so we are teying to decide if this improvement makes it worth keeping in spite of possibly having to retighten every time he dismounts. It is a mustang SOFT-GELsaddle so not sure if that is same as treeless. I understand some object to using stirrups w/bareback pad, if that is what it is? Because it pits stress on single point of horse's back but Hubby only weighs 117 pounds and Moonshine is a pretty robust girl around 15 hands. Should we really worry about that especially since she immediately showed.better attitude and performance. She was really foxtrotting full-tilg. It was fun to watch.

kckc

« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2017, 09:02:42 pm »

try to get your husband to not put weight in the stirrups - it will help.  Also when dismounting don't leave left foot in the stirrup when swinging over and off - that will keep the saddle from sliding around (probably) - that sliding around can cause galls
NC

misstux

« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2017, 08:26:24 am »

Thanks, Misstux. However not sure why recommendation. Does tape cover restoring an old.horse's topline? We don't have lameness issues. I pretty well have his arthritis under control as best I can tell.

One of the subjects covered is horses who are too locked up in their bodies to respond to belly lifts

TN Trail Rider

« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2017, 10:32:57 am »

Also, when he mounts try to have him mount from a mounting block, tree stump, or side of a hill.  It puts less strain on the horse's back and saddle stays put a lot better.

oncidium

« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2017, 11:57:27 am »

Just because the template does fit does not guarantee that the saddle will fit.

Some think all english and dressage are identical.  Nope.  A wide is not a wide, as a wide is in all saddles.  They each ride differently.  Then there is the rider comfort.  Then there is the horse comfort.  Then there are the fittings.  Lots of different things go into the (non) fun of finding just the right saddle.  So the measuring may have been correct, but then there is how it fits the horse. 

If your husband is riding crooked, and denies, then video him from behind while riding.  Then have him video you from behind while riding.  Then you all can rail bird aka contrast and compare notes.

Until I got stirrup leathers which were:  leather, biothane, leather, and then sewn together, my stirrup leathers would stretch, so I had to re-punch holes or buy new leather$.  Got those ½" hole triple layers, and they have never stretched.    To this day I periodically remove the stirrup leathers and measure side by side, and make sure they are exactly the same with regards to the holes, and length.  So far after 18 years, so far so good.  I have purchased pre-streched, and guaranteed not to stretch leathers, and they did.  Until I got these.  These are by Nunn Finer.

A Mustang SoftGel Saddle.  Sounds good for all.  If the horse gaits well,and husband is comfy, then you may have a winner!  Congrats!

Glad all things have worked out.  Saddle fitting and shopping are not fun.

O

fargos handmaiden

« Reply #40 on: October 18, 2017, 12:31:49 pm »

Well, jury is still out.  I tried it today on Fargo.  On his higher whithers and slightly sagging back, the saddle slid back on me.  I didn't ride in it very long because I was afraid of where it was pressuring his back as a result.  I used it on top of my Saddleright pad as I had read of one lady who claimed to be a saddle fitter and weight 245 lbs. or so, had used her high dollar treeless over a saddleright pad for better weight distribution.  Maybe that was problem.  Robert just used it over the little thin felt pad for the saddleright.  I am still experimenting.  We got 30 days.

KysaSD

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: October 18, 2017, 04:04:22 pm »

Connie, For you, I would definitely recommend the saddle right pad under a treeless.  The saddle right does add some weight distribution which is lacking in the treeless saddles.
Kysa, South Dakota, 2 Mountain Horses, a Curly Foxtrotter and a Mini, yes, I am crazy!

fargos handmaiden

« Reply #42 on: October 19, 2017, 10:36:43 am »

Thanks, Kysa.  Yes, I was aware it could be a problem for Fargo.  Just rode him about 1/4 mile and back because I wanted to see if a "treeless" or a soft-gel might make a difference in his performance.  Before it slipped, I think it did but it slipped for us pretty quick so it was just come straight home after that.  He just doesn't gait any more but wonder if his age/arthritis is influencing that.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up