Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Saddle slips on Moonshine  (Read 1136 times)

KysaSD

• Administrator
Re: Saddle slips on Moonshine
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2017, 08:28:19 am »

I still think the saddle tree itself does not fit this horse.

But another option is that the rigging is wrong for this horse.  Some horses do well wth center fire rigging, some horses need full western rigging.  What type of rigging does this saddle have?
Kysa, South Dakota, 2 Mountain Horses, and a Mini, yes, I am crazy!

oncidium

« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2017, 03:00:14 pm »

Your saddle is more than likely too small for your horse.

Adding pad is like the princess and the pea.

A pad is not going to make a saddle fit better, sorry babe.

Get a template of your horses back and then fit it up in the saddle and then see what you think.  Use a flexicurve to do the job.  Easy!  Then you can take the piece of paper you draw the results of the curve to any place that sells saddles.  Do a flexicurve on every horse you have on the farm.  If I am saddle shopping I take my flexicurve and the piece of paper I have with my horses wither curve drawn on it, re-fit the flexicurve exactly then go to a saddle and see it "that dog will hunt" or rather if that saddle will fit.  Flexicurves can be bought at an office supply place where the drawing/drafting stuff is.  ASK them where. 

I have a template I did for my mare.  I have two english saddles.  My mare is round, *****ZERO***** withers.  One saddle fits and the other doesn't.  I was technical and got it figured out.

A saddle will tend to go where it fits best on the horse.  It basically will slide to where "it" fits best, be it way to the front or way way way back so when you sit on the horse you are almost on their kidneys.  If you are riding a round on a no wither mutton wither whiskey barrel shaped horse(my mare btw), you need to learn to be balanced in the saddle.  Thats IF the saddle fits.

I have pictures of the two saddles and how one fits and how one does NOT fit.  Yeah, whatevah they are english, but still a tree is a tree is a tree.  Doesn't fit, then nobody is happy.

I attached three pictures.  Tell me (anybody) which saddle fits.  Brown or black.  Vote!

O

Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

Just because you had it bad doesn't mean I have it good.

Saddle fitting is the WORST experience, but it is the MOST rewarding when all is well in the END.

« Last Edit: September 05, 2017, 03:32:56 pm by oncidium »

1950Racking

« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2017, 04:16:07 am »

black

misstux

« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2017, 08:09:29 am »

I say black too

oncidium

« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2017, 09:50:22 am »

Black saddle is correct.

O

fargos handmaiden

Thanks, everyone!
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2017, 12:07:17 am »

Such a great group, thanks. Jury still out but, Oncidium, you may be right about saddle being too small. Got me thinking so we pulled out Duece's old wide-tree Imus saddle...such a wonder I had not sold it. We really didn't ride yet so jury still out but Moonshine did not try to bite during saddling and Robert was able to mount/dismount with saddle staying put. Tried to talk him into giving it test run in pasture but could not. We are supposed to ride with friend this Thursday so will know better then. Just NEVER would have thought a tree being too small would cause side to side slipping. So again thank you, Oncidium!

Other blessing we stumbled on was girth with double roller. Makes tightening those McCullough style riggings SOOOOO MUCH easier to tighten correctly. Wow! Difference night and day.

Again, thanks to all. And Kysa, if this doesn't work on our ride Thursday, I will see about emailing you picks. Thanks for offer.

fargos handmaiden

OK! Ready To Look for New Saddle For Moonshine!
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2017, 09:26:13 pm »

OK, I admit defeat.  We made two short rides with the wide-tree Imus saddle and everything seemed fine.  Today, we went with friend on a short ride and it slipped on Hubby.

I did a tracing once on Fargo for a new Down Under saddle that was on clearance.  I was under the impression that they would still fit it accordiing to mywire tracing at the time.  Either they didn't or I didn't do it right.  At any rate, it was an expensive mistake.  That one SLIPPED on Fargo like crazy.  I could not keep it tight and would up reselling it at a near give-away.  So my confidence to make a tracing is not high.

Does anyone know of anyone in Texas that custom-makes saddles to a particular horse's back like Crestridge does?  So we could take the horse to them to get it done properly?  I read the instructions on Crestridge page and my eyes glazed over.

Or any other suggestions.

kckc

« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2017, 06:26:42 am »

ok here's a question - could your cinch be too long?  I read (equipedic site) that the shorter girths hold a saddle better because you are not putting pressure all the way around the horse.   Second, any chance that hubby puts a lot of pressure on one stirrup helping it slip?   I see a lot of crooked people in saddles, uneven stirrups...    Crestridge seems to be all over the place doing fittings - I missed them here in NC.  Maybe they have a schedule toward you?     Superglue is starting to sound good huh?
NC

GloriousJourney

« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2017, 09:37:28 am »

Since your husband is a lightweight, you may want to consider a quality treeless saddle for the horse. There are many crappy "wanna be's"  on the market, so beware. Many people ride these successfully in long endurance rides and the horses have happy backs, and no slippage issues.
Lesley in Jupiter

fargos handmaiden

« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2017, 10:20:03 am »

He will kill me, but yes, he always sits crooked in the saddle. But he doesn't listen to me so I gave up.  I also think his stirrups are crooked and too long, but again, he keeps telling me no.  So what can you do?

Moonshine does have a tremendously round barrel and is probably what you call a "mutton-withered" horse.  None of these things help.

Can anyone recommend a type or brand of treeless saddle then that is not crap?  Thanks.

kckc

« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2017, 10:33:05 am »

take a picture of him from behind or in front when he's not expecting it.  Show him.  :-)    I love my treeless but they can be unforgiving on a crooked rider.   I have a Trekker (original not the king or whoever is trying to use their name).  It has panels, as does Startrekk and a couple of others.  I like them because unless you are really heavy or your horse has poor topline, they do not require a treeless pad.  Others like barefoot need a treeless pad to help distribute rider weight and keep any pressure off the spine.   Bob Marshalls are big in our area BUT they have a permanent pommel which means if you don't get the right size and angle of pommel your saddle still does not fit even though it's treeless.   
NC

fargos handmaiden

« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2017, 11:32:19 am »

After spending nearly $1000 on two different used Imuses, my experience with a Nat'l Bridle gaited saddle, and a Down Under saddle, I feel like I have spent my life savings on saddles to no avail.  So saw the Hilason treeless, way cheap but saw one good review on a youtube.  Anyone familiar with these?  Price soooooo much less painful than others.

Here is saddle that caught my attention.  Hubby wants a saddle horn for more security. Will that negate the benefits of a treeless?

https://hilason.com/hilason-western-treeless-endurance-pleasure-trail-saddle.html

Thanks.

fargos handmaiden

« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2017, 12:17:42 pm »

Well, never mind.  Found my own answers on that brand in reviews.  Apparently fall apart and bad customer service.

kckc

« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2017, 12:30:09 pm »

that brand is sold a lot - I see both good and bad reviews - I'm going to think that some people ride more or put more stress on theirs - if you find one ask if they have full return - that might give you a chance to look at it.    I don't think most treeless that have horns should rely on them for major support - a bit of mental support maybe.   If you are looking at a bit more horn stability then you would want to stay with a hard pommel in a treeless saddle which again puts you back in the realm of fit issues.    You might find alternate ways for horn security - you can add monkey grabs to endurance saddles - that way there is something to grab without the concerns of a horn.   Have you looked at Abetta?  They have some wide saddles and are sold a lot of places - maybe somewhere close has one you can try.   
NC

gallatingal

« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2017, 06:07:19 am »

My husband used to sit crooked too. He has improved a lot. But it drove me crazy to ride behind him and he would be off to one side. His saddle would slip of course, but he also had a wide bodied giant no withered horse that was hard to fit.  I have a tiny little SSH who remarkably wore the same size saddle, so looks can be deceiving. Also the rigging is really important. We have switched over to the English style billets and the saddle is more stable, even just adding a back cinch will help. I hate that v rigging that is so popular for someone with an iffy seat because it seems to slip.  Hilason saddles are crap and a treeless is not a good idea for someone who does not sit up straight. You are right you need a saddle fitter, who of course will want to sell you an expensive saddle. Can you sell all those other saddles? .. but once you get a saddle that fits better (I agree with O that it is probably too narrow somewhere) Stick a tacky tack pad under it. Josh Lyons sells the won pad and I know a lot of folks object to it, but he can mount without a cinch. I have seen him do it and sometimes it is a matter of the lessor of two evils.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 06:22:40 am by gallatingal »
Life is short, buy the pony!
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up