verify account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Saddle slips on Moonshine  (Read 1156 times)

fargos handmaiden

Saddle slips on Moonshine
« on: August 20, 2017, 03:36:19 pm »

She is so fat/round, our Imus saddle won't keep from slipping.  Uses military-type girth.  Hubby and another guy have tried different wierd ways of tying/twisting the girth which looks like the knot would poke the horse or the extra twists, not as designed, would be proned to breaking.  Scares me to death and does not stay on any better anyway.  Anybody got an idea?  We love these saddles and have invested so much in them can hardly afford to start the long difficult saddle search again anyway. Thanks.

KysaSD

• Administrator
Re: Saddle slips on Moonshine
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2017, 03:43:50 pm »

I hate to say this, Connie, but the saddle does not fit the horse.
Sometimes, it can be helped by different rigging, and you can take a photo.  But saddles that fit well, usually stay put.
Kysa, South Dakota, 2 Mountain Horses, a Curly Foxtrotter and a Mini, yes, I am crazy!

foxtrotter

• N.E. Ohio
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2017, 04:53:32 pm »

Connie,
    Currently my mare is on a diet, hoping her saddle will fit again.  I have had to use a much thinner pad with it, in the meantime.
MJ

NoBite

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2017, 05:40:02 pm »

There is a product out there called a Dixie Midnight pad. It might keep your saddle from slipping. Some friends have used it for that. I had a 55-gallon-drum-shaped horse once. Had to use a crupper and breast collar at all times to keep a saddle straight. It is a challenge.
- Life is short. Ride your best horse.

John Maldaner, western Kentucky
Star KMSH, 1991-2017 R.I.P.     Legs, MFT, 1999-2018 R.I.P.    Bandit, TWH, 2005   Smokey, TWH, 2010

foxtrotter

• N.E. Ohio
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2017, 06:06:11 pm »

Oh, thanks No Bite,   I should have said my mare is now using a very thin wool pad, over a Dixie Midnight pad.
MJ

NoBite

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2017, 06:52:42 am »

Oh, thanks No Bite,   I should have said my mare is now using a very thin wool pad, over a Dixie Midnight pad.

Great! Well, you're already there. Hmmm. Not sure what else to suggest.
- Life is short. Ride your best horse.

John Maldaner, western Kentucky
Star KMSH, 1991-2017 R.I.P.     Legs, MFT, 1999-2018 R.I.P.    Bandit, TWH, 2005   Smokey, TWH, 2010

TN Trail Rider

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2017, 03:30:34 pm »

My horse is also shaped like a barrel.  I have found that the rigging style (3-point) used in saddles like Imus just don't work on a round horse.  The Imus saddle will not work right if you don't rig it like that. 

Laurie

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2017, 09:40:01 am »

question.....exactly how is the saddle slipping?  Does it slowly move back as you are riding?......or does it really slip...like to the side of the horse while you are mounting or even riding? 

As nobite suggested, have you tried a breaststrap or different girth?  I have never used a crupper, but our trooper saddles have rings that can be used for a crupper. We used Tucker montreal style breast straps that don't interfere with shoulder movement.

coolpapabill

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2017, 01:53:19 pm »

I 'm in Kysa's camp on saddle fit. A proper fit saddle and pad
should not slip even if cinched up relatively loosely. A breast
collar will help.

KysaSD

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2017, 02:00:37 pm »

Just a little FYI.

I just got back from riding in the Black Hills.  The trails DID include some fairly steep ups and downs.  I never use a breast collar at home, but put a breast collar on every horse for the first day.  But....then I just didn't.  All three horses have saddles that fit well, and none of the saddles slipped at all, not even on Jodi who is round as an oil drum, and with the withers of an oil drum!

I will say that some horses do not do well with center fire rigging.  This completely depends on the horse's body structure and where the girth groove naturally falls.  I am not familiar with Imus saddles.  But for the saddles in my tack store, some horses can do center fire rigging, some horses can do 3/4 rigging position, and some just cannot.  Some horses need full rigged in a western saddle, with front and back cinch.  Just the way it is.
Kysa, South Dakota, 2 Mountain Horses, a Curly Foxtrotter and a Mini, yes, I am crazy!

fargos handmaiden

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2017, 08:37:37 pm »

Thanks, everyone.

Well, we had some degree of success changing the pad.  We had been using those super nice saddleright pads we ordered as a group here years ago.  I love mine but Robert doesn't like it.  I wound up lending him my cheap neoprene pad which anymore I hate to use on a horse but he swears it does better to keep the saddle from slipping.  It still slipped some on him but not nearly as much.  I will let Hubby read all the responses and see if he wants to try something else.

fargos handmaiden

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2017, 09:26:01 pm »

robert here

my saddle drives me crazy,i can't get the saddle to stay put!mabe if i got some time i will take a good look at how well the saddle fits and where it doesn't.I changed pads with one of connies pads it was better but not the answer.I had this saddle spin completely around with my old pad and when i pull the saddle tight moonshine turns around to bite me! so she is trying to tell me something is wrong i just don't know what it is!
Robert!

kckc

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2017, 09:38:27 pm »

so it's sliding side to side?  not to the front or back?
NC

KysaSD

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2017, 05:50:59 am »

If either of you are able to take photos of the saddle on the horse, send them to me.
Kysa@tooshaytack.net

You can also go to Crest Ridge website and folk the directions for checking saddle fit.  I just don't think he saddle fits the horse, but going through the saddle fit instructions would help a lot.

fargos handmaiden

« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2017, 08:01:54 am »

robert again

my saddle goes sideways and i dont weigh enough to pull it around[120 lbs wet]i though i would use super glue but the strange look i got from connie was enough to nix that idea.after my hernia surgery doctor used super glue to plug the 2 cuts he made!
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up