Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Re-sizing Pictures on Your Computer  (Read 420 times)

NoBite

• Administrator
Re-sizing Pictures on Your Computer
« on: August 14, 2017, 04:32:50 pm »

This thread will examine ways folks are successfully re-sizing pictures, using their computer. Feel free to add your thoughts! Please specify MAC or PC when you comment.

On a MAC:
  • Double-click a picture on your MAC, which opens up Preview mode for that picture.
  • Under the FILE menu, choose EXPORT.
  • You may now choose the destination for the Export (desktop, for instance) and the file size, using the slider next to the word QUALITY.
  • Select a file size at or below the GHS maximum.
  • You may also at this time give your soon-to-be-exported picture a new name to distinguish it from the original.
  • Click SAVE. You have just sent the reduced size picture to the destination you indicated. This is the picture you may now upload to GHS.

On a PC:
  • I have not personally used in a PC in many years, but on the advice of several friends that do, I can recommend a program that is widely used to re-size pictures (and much more).
  • IrfanviewHere is the homepage for this program. Here is a link to a free download.
  • As I understand it, download and install this program on your PC and follow the program instructions and you can re-size your photos easily.
Please feel free to add you experience for either a MAC or PC!
- Life is short. Ride your best horse.

John Maldaner, western Kentucky
Star KMSH, 1991-2017 R.I.P.     Legs, MFT, 1999-2018 R.I.P.    Bandit, TWH, 2005   Smokey, TWH, 2010

kckc

Re: Re-sizing Pictures on Your Computer
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2017, 07:02:45 pm »

on my pc when I was using outlook  I could email pictures to myself and it would ask me if I want to make them smaller - I say yes then copy the smaller icon pictures that I want to post to my folder (didnt' email them just copied the smaller pics)
Now I'm using gmail I don't see anything on it to resize pictures
NC

stablemind

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2017, 04:52:18 am »

I use an app called Fotor on my Windows 10 laptop. To reduce a photo file, click save, then key in a smaller size and click low resolution. If you don't want to write over your original high resolution image, give the lower resolution file a new name.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 04:55:21 am by stablemind »

stablemind

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2017, 05:01:55 am »

I see I have another photo app called PhotoScape X Pro. In that one, every time you save an image it gives you sizing options. Very simple.

oncidium

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2017, 11:54:31 am »

I have a MacBook.  And all macs are the same.  Easy!

To resize a photo:

For a mac:

Open the picture, double click with your mouse.

Left click with your mouse on Tools.

Left click with your mouse on Adjust Size.

Then CHOOSE whatever size you want! 

Note:  You can right click on any photo and "get info".  And it will tell you what size the photo is.  Easy!  If not, ASK me. ;)

If you have a photo on your desktop right click it and "get info", and if you read through the wording you will see what size it is.

Here is something more I to do before I resize a photo.  It is easy.  I duplicate it then drag the copy to the desktop.  Then you can do the above and resize.  Or delete, or make a new folder and drag it there. 

To Duplicate a photo:

Open "photos".  (See the icon down below, the one with the color swirly looking thing on your tool bar?  If it isn't down below, put it down there so it is easy to get to for next time.) 

Choose your photo (with your eyeballs).
Mouse over, and right click the photo, then choose Duplicate 1 photo. 
When it Duplicates, mouse over and left click with the mouse, and drag it to the desk top.  Poof, done!

Then to resize it to your hearts content, see the above.

O

Let's Mac it baby!

I speak Mac.  Not ibm clone "mac speak".  Real true fluent mac speak.  I used to "ibm clone speak" but I am bi-lingual now, and speak Mac better these days.  Use it or lose it!
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 12:00:48 pm by oncidium »

oncidium

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2017, 12:12:04 pm »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWwOJlOI1nU

No, No Bite, no.  Naughty No Bite!  Three hours of fenceline weed eating for you!

Export?  What the heck?  See link above, click it. 

That is too "IBM Clone" Speak.  I am bi-lingual and I can't understand that.  Or maybe I won't because there are easier ways. 

To Attach a photo here on GHS, for a Mac, click the green words below which say "Attachments and other options".  Then click "Choose File".  Then find your file with your eyeballs and then mouse there, and left click (or soft tap) on it, and then click Choose.  Easy! 

See my post above ^^^^^^^  to adjust the size so it is the right size in the first place.  Once it is THEN do the Attach photo. 

The rules for individual size for a photo is 512kb.  Easy.  Those are the rules, so you just adjust your photo size until it meets the law of the land.

O

Yes, Tris, I do speak Mac.  Well, yes, Tris, I hope I do not have a typing error.  I always do my best proofreading after I hit the send button.

Tris is my dog child.  She is super fuzzy!

slamduncan

• ACE my next project
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2017, 01:30:54 pm »

I think I posted somewhere I have used Irfanview for years.  If I can use it anyone can LOL
Judi and the Boys, Rhode Island

NoBite

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2017, 06:25:47 am »

You guys are funny! Yes, it is easy peasy on the MAC! And, several ways to get around the barn. MACs are like that because the users have different preferences and the MAC accommodates them all. But, as it does little good to devolve into a MAC v PC debate, it is good to see PC users posting with methods that work on PCs!

Star KMSH, 1991-2017 R.I.P.     Legs, MFT, 1999-2018 R.I.P.    Bandit, TWH, 2005   Smokey, TWH, 2010

NoBite

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2018, 10:24:24 am »

Just found a website that resizes photos for you! Doesn't matter if you have a MAC or a PC and you don't need an app at all.

Web Resizer

Pretty easy to tinker with. Give it a go if you're looking for another way to resize your photos.

Pages: [1]   Go Up