Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: In search of...Curly gaited mare  (Read 603 times)

KysaSD

• Administrator
In search of...Curly gaited mare
« on: August 11, 2017, 03:28:52 pm »

I am putting this here as I suspect this will take a LONG time to find.  And it will be my GHS friends who actually do find it.

Jane's granddaughter is allergic to horses, and she does love them.  But this summer, she has reacted strongly each time she has tried riding.  Curly coated horses are non allergenic.  I know there are lines of curly MFT, but I would consider any curly coated gaited horse.  For now, we are only looking for a mare.  Depending on the time it takes to find the right well trained mare for an 11 year old girl, we may eventually consider a gelding.  But I do prefer to keep my herd all one sex.

So, list of criteria.
Curly coat/non allergenic--some horses test this way even though their coat is not very curly
Mare
Probably not going to consider anything under 6 and would go up to 20
well trained for trails
under 15 hands if possible
Kysa, South Dakota, 2 Mountain Horses, and a Mini, yes, I am crazy!

Slades housekeeper

Re: In search of...Curly gaited mare
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2017, 09:11:41 pm »

I passed this on to a person I know who has Curlies.  She just moved from Manitoba to Alberta.

kckc

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2017, 03:45:20 am »

found some curly ads - this one is young and a gelding but there seem to be a few on that page  ... http://curlyhorsesforsale.com/ads/extreme-curly-gelding/
dont' think this mare is gaited but maybe...   http://curlyhorsesforsale.com/ads/beautiful-curly-mare/
saw mft but gelding an 15 h
NC

LadyAndMinerva

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2017, 05:51:36 am »

There was a girl with a curly at the Ivy gaited clinic last month.  Megan said hers was bred in Utah.  I talked to her about them as my girls have some allergies.  I forgot to get her contact information, but Marilyn may be able to help get you in contact.
Easing my way into easy gaits one day at a time.

KysaSD

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2017, 05:58:20 am »

KC, I have seen that webpage.  And I am not sure the ads are current.  I looked at the mare ad, but I don't think she is Gaited.  That is the kicker, has to be Gaited.
I have a friend in Alberta that breeds and raises them, because her own daughter is allergic.  But Shellys are not Gaited.

Anyway, if anyone sees an ad local to them, let me know.  I was probably have a member look first, but before buying I would have to see the horse in person.

abbypeaches

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2017, 07:18:08 am »

Becky Oldham and Ann Quinn sell them in Utah I believe.

Marilyn
Marilyn and
 Bud, 30 yo reg. MFT gelding, Montana's Silver Mist(Misty) 20 yo MFT & Midnight Rendezvous (Kate) 16 mo mare.

KysaSD

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2017, 08:50:37 am »

Yes, but none of those are gaited.  I just do not want a horse around, especially a kids horse, that I cannot ride.  An ancient back injury says I cannot do anything but gaited.
Besides, Cadence is just as spoiled as my own grandkids.  She has never ridden a trotting horse in her short little life.

kckc

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2017, 09:07:55 am »

I'd have to look again but I thought the ads were dated like within a month? 
NC

KysaSD

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2017, 09:17:40 am »

KC, you are correct, that ad was recently renewed.  I saw the mare ad last winter.  So, that site is kept up to date. 

I have been to many many websites from 2006-2011 for breeders....but those websites are not up to date.  i wonder if a lot of breeders of gaited curlies gave up when the market tanked in 2009. 

And I am kicking myself for not getting more serious last spring.  There was a mid aged short (14 hands) curly gaited mare in Texas...but Rita was not in a position at that moment to look at her, and I did not know how serious we needed to be.  That was after Cadences first big reaction.  But she is also very allergic to grass pollen, and most of the grasses we starting to bloom.  So, horse???, grass????  We just were not sure.  But her reaction time has been getting shorter all summer, so it does seem to be horses.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 09:21:22 am by KysaSD »

kckc

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2017, 09:46:50 am »

I've found a lot of websites are not updated now - people are just using fb so if you see a breeder website that's old you might look for them on fb too just to be sure
NC

Walkin45

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2017, 10:15:09 am »

My friend just sold one

Kalli

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2017, 06:48:05 pm »

Took kckc's advice and looked on Facebook:" gaited curly horses" has some sale ads.  I could be tempted so can't scroll too far down!  Seriously, though, check it out.  😊

kckc

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2017, 07:58:36 pm »

Kalli - it's sort of satisfying to look for a horse for someone else  :-)
NC

Walkin45

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2017, 06:47:18 pm »

Wendy Wade Morton. Flat Creek , TN. I called the breeder I knew and she gave me this name
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up