Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mare, excess of large follicles  (Read 91 times)

KysaSD

• Administrator
Mare, excess of large follicles
« on: July 21, 2017, 09:10:21 am »

I am asking here if ANYONE has ever even heard of this, let alone experienced it.

I have a friend's mare on my property.  Has always been a quiet laid back horse.  I considered buying this horse 9 years ago, but concluded she was too quiet, laid back, slow for my preferences.

So a few weeks ago, another friend had her, and moved a calf into her pen.  She darn near killed the thing.  And my friend had commented about some incidents of aggression in the week proceeding this.

The horse desperately needed her teeth done, so we took her to he vet for that.  Left cheek had been sliced up by sharp edges.  But I also asked the vet to check for ovarian cysts.  Long ago I had a young mare that showed sudden aggression.  Ovarian cysts was the issue.

Anyway, the ultra sound did not show cysts, however both ovaries had about 15 or so huge follicles.  Normal would be one large follicle on one ovary, and one half sized follicle on the other ovary.  Since the large follicles do produce a small amount of testosterone, that many large follicles could give her way more testosterone than a normal mare should have.
The vet decided to give her an injection of progesterone every 30 days for three doses and check her again.  I did an extensive search in all the vet libraries I can get into, and found nothing.  Wondering if anyone here has ever even heard of this.
Kysa, South Dakota, 2 Mountain Horses, a Curly Foxtrotter, a TWH and a Mini, yes, I am crazy!

Walkin45

Re: Mare, excess of large follicles
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2017, 09:44:21 am »

No. But it is pretty common for a horse to try and run down a calf.   Hope you can find some info

KysaSD

• Administrator
Re: Mare, excess of large follicles
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2017, 10:15:27 am »

Running down the calf was not the issue, trying to actually KILL it was, combined with recent aggression shown to people. 

I think Cyd could comment on testosterone aggression.  After cutting her stallion, she tried putting him in with her gelding.  And he darn near killed Babe.  Several years later, and he and Babe are okay together.
Kysa, South Dakota, 2 Mountain Horses, a Curly Foxtrotter, a TWH and a Mini, yes, I am crazy!
Pages: [1]   Go Up