Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Plans/ideas on DIY Portable Camp Horse Pens?  (Read 455 times)

fargos handmaiden

Plans/ideas on DIY Portable Camp Horse Pens?
« on: July 15, 2017, 08:49:45 am »

We successfully used elec. Wire before but now one horse will always be left behind. Afraid that's enough incentive for lone horse to plow thru elec. wire. will PVC pens hold an excited horse or not? Plans/experience please. Commercial ones juat too expensive x 3. Thanks.

KysaSD

• Administrator
Re: Plans/ideas on DIY Portable Camp Horse Pens?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2017, 09:07:20 am »

I would go with high tie, and maybe portable electric fence around the high tie.  Electric alone is never enough.  I have have a high tie rope setup.  But there are really good highties that mount to a trailer and then swing out.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2017, 09:29:04 am by KysaSD »
Kysa, South Dakota, 2 Mountain Horses, a Curly Foxtrotter and a Mini, yes, I am crazy!

kckc

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2017, 09:25:59 am »

I looked at the pvc corrals and with my ZU they would definitely not keep him in place... not for 5 minutes even without excitement.   Maybe if there was a really strong electric around it maybe.   If your horse doesn't do alone very well will you have a frantic horse while you're gone?   I'd say highline ... but leaving a horse at camp is also risky because of other people, other loose animals. 
NC

Walkin45

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2017, 01:57:35 pm »

Travelncorrals.com

fargos handmaiden

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2017, 04:37:28 pm »

Well leaving horses, cat or gwo parrots home or with a caretaker is no longer an opfion. Just had worst experience yef, goatdied trapped in fence by one horn in plain site, young cat destroyed piece of upholstered furniture with no one here to correct her or praise her for using scratching post, another goat just missing, goat barn severely flooded because they didn't follow.watering instructions
 We will either automate things for remaining goats/dogs/poultry or just get rid of.  Outcome sure could not be any worse. But don't want to leave one horse alone here. Thought if I could take the three I could ride Fargo one day, Speedy the next. Little guy needs wet blankets. Someone described his personality and busy little feet as a "poodle." It kinda fits

fargos handmaiden

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2017, 04:39:41 pm »

Kysa, Speedy escape artist. Someone suggested "horse collar" instead of halter. Would theze commercial high ties be safe with collar instead of halter? Thanks.

KysaSD

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2017, 04:48:06 pm »

Yes, they should be, and I see photos of that used.
Kysa, South Dakota, 2 Mountain Horses, a Curly Foxtrotter and a Mini, yes, I am crazy!

Little Freckles

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2017, 11:33:54 am »

might be a good time to learn the art of ponying another horse if that can be done before you go.  That way all get to go on the trail.  Other wise, I second the high tie with electric around and a full hay bag.
Susan, close to Springfield, IL

Karen

• Woodland Brittanys
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2017, 12:38:03 pm »

Can you work with the horses while at home so they get used to being alone/out of sight of one another?   It'll at least give you an indication of how they'll act alone when you travel, and what kind of arrangements you may need to make to confine them.
Karen

fargos handmaiden

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2017, 08:46:02 am »

Fargo is pretty independent and will do better alone as long as he has food and comfort. Moonshine will go out on all rides. Problem is thw "poodle," as one man described Speedy Gonzales, also well named for his boundless energy, "DOGmatic" personality, refusal to quit pawing, banging/pushing on our gate when separated from other two at feeding time until his turn. He is a handful. Under guidance of a trainer we were unsuccessful in trying to bdeak him of the pawing. He had us tie him for long stretches, ignore him when he pawed. Result, he learned to use lead rope to rub off halter and bridle. ARGH!

He told us about a bad wreck involving the bungie cords used in the high ties. Broke or.came loose when owner was near and did serious damage to his face. Just read in aother site same thing happened to horse's face so now scared of that idea.

Saw this homemade idea, pvc panels 1.25" diameter, then read of another where they used the 3" pvd conduit. Think we may try one or other and reinforce with one or two strings of our electric wire top and maybe middle...

Here are plans...

thenorthcarolinacowgirl.com

Then find her diy/how-to-make-portable-horse-panels. She gives very detailed plans.ady that used 3" did not but seems easy enough to sub in these plans. Let me know what you all think.

Karen

• Woodland Brittanys
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2017, 09:38:07 am »

Is there a barn close to you that you could board your problem child at when you travel?  That's what we did with Quinn when we went away for 10 days.  He went to the barn we used to keep him at before we had property at home.  We paid $10/day and provided his grain.  He was no worse for wear, we knew he was safe and well cared for, and it cost us less than having someone take care of him at home. 
Karen

kckc

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2017, 09:43:40 am »

well first, who the heck using bungie or anything stretchie on a high line???   PVC breaks and is sharp - I'd think carefully on that before investing a lot in that.   If a horse wants out pvc won't stop him, he'll just lay on it or push until it breaks (imo).  I like the idea of finding a local barn to stall him.   I wonder if hobble training him would help with the pawing?  it sounds like he is  a bundle of energy and perhaps anxiety?   
NC

fargos handmaiden

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2017, 02:32:16 pm »

The bungie type cords are what are sold with the commercial high tie systems I believe, reason being, the horse can still lay down, roll, etc., without becoming tangled.  The bungie cord is supposed to recoil any excess line out of horse's way.  But I have read of some accidents that worry me with these things.

How am I supposed to train Speedy for trail riding if I leave him at home? He is to be Fargo's replacement when he can no longer do it.  Fargo is 22 now.

kckc

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2017, 03:01:52 pm »

well, I have to say none of the one's I've looked at had any stretch qualities to them at all.    I haven't high lined yet but all the people I see use a tight rope type for the high line and then the horses lead is a bit longer to allow them to lay down. 

I sorta meant a barn near where you are camping, that way speedy can be trail ridden but won't get loose or hurt himself by being alone.  When you retire Fargo then Speedy wouldn't be left a the camp alone - I just wouldn't want him to learn to be by himself when you're out on a trip.   He sounds like a horse that will need some time to learn to be ok with being alone.
NC

fargos handmaiden

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2017, 05:04:39 pm »

OK, I gave up and ordered a regular bivh tie kit witbout the elastic cords but I have doubts it will hold Speedy or Fargo. Fargo is detedminex go lie down and just pulls the wbole line down low. We will see.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up