Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Testing hay for nutrition  (Read 113 times)

KysaSD

• Administrator
Testing hay for nutrition
« on: July 12, 2017, 08:43:34 am »

Since I just took samples from my first field of hay, I thought I would link where it get it tested.  I use equi-analytical, because they test for some important equine parameters, and any of the equation values use equine equations, not cattle equations.  For me, it is very important to know the sugar and starch content for my air ferns.  I have two fields I bale, and I choose the lowest sugar/starch hay for my fat horses.  But it is also important to know the mineral content, and I make my own mineral mix to balance what the horses are eating.

Here is the front page.  There are lots of pages of good information from here.

http://equi-analytical.com/
Kysa, South Dakota, 2 Mountain Horses, a Curly Foxtrotter, a TWH and a Mini, yes, I am crazy!

KysaSD

• Administrator
Re: Testing hay for nutrition
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2017, 10:40:29 am »

Adding this from Dr. Kellons website.
What is the correct hay for my IR or PPID horse?
Grass hay with a tested Ethanol soluble carbohydrates (ESC) plus Starch below 10%.

My hay usually comes in between 6.5 and 8 for the ESC plus starch.

I choose the lowest and feed free choice in small hole haynets.  They still manage to be slightly chubby, but no one Has a body score above 6, and they are all healthy and happy.

I also make a mineral mix to balance the calcium:phosphorus:magnesium rations, and the iron:copper:zinc:manganese ratio.

Although protein is an important component, for my mostly pasture ornaments, protein is not an issue.
Kysa, South Dakota, 2 Mountain Horses, a Curly Foxtrotter, a TWH and a Mini, yes, I am crazy!

abbypeaches

• A hunk of meat and two potatoes!
Re: Testing hay for nutrition
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2017, 04:30:03 pm »

Excellent information!
Thanks for sharing!!

Marilyn
Marilyn and
  Midnight Rendezvous (Kate) 3 yo MFT  mare.
Pages: [1]   Go Up