Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lighting  (Read 397 times)

Karen

• Woodland Brittanys
Lighting
« on: November 28, 2016, 07:36:16 am »

So our straight stalls are getting there!  John is almost done skinning the roof with plywood (we ran out of light last night), but we should have a real roof with felt paper & shingles soon.

So now we've started talking about lighting.  We have an over hang at the front of the stalls that is about 30 inches deep.  Right now it's so dark at night I have to bring my phone with me so I can tell who is who (Trav gets a pity portion of grain, where everyone else gets a scoop). 

My easy fix, which I'll probably wind up doing temporarily (for the winter) is to run an extension cord out to the stalls, get a couple strands of LED rope lighting and fasten it up under the eaves, and put them a christmas light remote so I can turn them on and off from the house.  That should offer enough light to at least tell who is who and for me to not break my neck while I'm out there, but I'm betting it'll be pretty dim. 

John's talking 2 headed spotlights between each stall so they can be directed downward at each stall.  I'm thinking that'll be blinding.  A naked lightbulb in a metal cage would probably also be blinding.  Anything that can be used outdoors is a possibility as John will be running real electric out there and putting in outlet boxes also (for box fans in the summer).

So suggestions?? 
Karen

kckc

Re: Lighting
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2016, 09:57:21 am »

On my barn I went with the long tube lighting with a filter cover.... and they chainlink together if necessary.  The filter type cover stops you from having a blinding spotlight in your face and gives good light to a larger area.   (less light outlets to install also).  You can get the ones that plug in also.    And LED... no heat in the summer from the lights.
They make the led rope lights that are battery operated.
If installing outlets for fans etc I used covered outlets so that when not in use they didn't accumulate dust/bugs etc.
I like underground wires and in wet weather I worry about extension cords on the ground.    Perhaps you could get battery operated and/or motion detection while you decide? 
glad you are almost finished with the standing stalls!
NC

Little Freckles

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2016, 11:11:22 am »

you might be surprised at how much light an LED Christmas "rope" can put out.
Susan, close to Springfield, IL

Karen

• Woodland Brittanys
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2016, 11:22:14 am »

When we first got started on this whole "horses at home" project, we ran an extension cord over to the hay shed to power the fence charger, and I installed a string of rope lights in the feed shed plugged into one of those step-on christmas light switches.  It as PLENTY of light for a 10 x 18' shed, and I never worried about forgetting to turn them off because they didn't ever put off any heat and use next to no electricity.  When we put the automatic waterer in, we ran real electric out there, so now the fence charger is plugged into a GFCI outlet right next to the paddock....but the shed isn't there anymore.

We tried a solar power spotlight at the end of our driveway (on my Woodland Acres sign), and it only lasts for maybe 2 hours, so that's not practical. 

We ran to a hardware store at lunch, so I did buy a 24' string of rope lights and a remote outdoor outlet, which I'm betting John beats me to installing, since he's sick of feeding in the dark too, and it will take the lighting thing off his to-do list until the spring.

Right now we have a flashlight hanging from a nail in the ceiling of the shed (the shed was moved to the other side of our driveway, so no power there yet).  I'm thinking a rechargeable lantern might work better, but for now, this will do.
Karen

Riderkat

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2016, 02:33:26 pm »

We got by with headlamps that clipped onto ball caps for quite a while ;) I am clumsy and prone to tripping over things like extension cords. The clip on light meant I could look at whatever I wanted to (like is that mud or did someone kick you type of look).

If your ceilings are high enough to accommodate these, they are instant-on LEDs.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Metalux-CWPLD-Series-Wrap-Shop-Light-Common-4-ft-Actual-5-73-in-x-47-46-in/1000111355

We actually did just do two headed spot lights, I don't LOVE them, but my horses are stalled so little it's fine. They are mounted at the stall door, facing in, at about 9' high and pointing to the middle of the stall. It's not ideal but it's hard to get the electrician to work on his OWN STUFF ;)

Karen

• Woodland Brittanys
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2016, 01:14:15 pm »

Well, this is what we have for the winter:

I wasn't home to feed last night, so I'll experience it first hand tonight.  John said not really enough light.  I'm thinking anything is better than nothing. 
Karen

Laurie

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2016, 02:38:28 pm »

You can always get one of those headlamps for your head or cap until you can put up lights. They work pretty good ;D

Laurie

fargos handmaiden

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2017, 03:58:46 pm »

Robert used a $149 solar battery plus marine grade battery in our chicken barn. Worked very well. We had extension cords plus long neon work lights in stalls for a while till we lost them and barn roof in wind storm. Have not replaced since but was our best lighting
 Trust me, 90% horse emergencies occur after dark and weekends. Vet's first question will always be, does the barn have adequate light.

Walkin45

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2017, 07:00:47 am »

I'm looking for outside lights also. Some put out plenty of light but also use 100.00 electric a month. I like the dusk to dawn, but they are prone to ele surges and stuff .

Cassidy

• S.W. Michigan
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2017, 02:22:08 pm »

Our stalls are fairly tall so no way they can reach the ceiling.  We just have a single I think 60 watt light bulb in each stall.  Gives plenty of light and haven't had any problems.  But the main portion of the barn that the stalls are a part of we have 8 lights that the bulbs sit in a large white metal outdoor type light.  We used the same setup in our last barn for over 12 years and going on 9 in this one.
Chris, S.W. Michigan
Pages: [1]   Go Up