Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Some fly relief  (Read 449 times)

cruisinlight

• View Profile
Some fly relief
« on: June 30, 2017, 02:33:10 pm »

Someone on Facebook mentioned that flies don't like Pinesol. It's true!

Every 4 or 5 days, I'm spraying the walls inside the horses' walk-in shed with a mixture of half water, half Pinesol. We have some really hot days and then days of pouring rain, so the horses are spending a lot of time in there--the floor of it is a soupy muck--but it's surprisingly free of flies.

We are also using fly predators.  We only started two months ago, and it often takes awhile to get them well established, especially when it's raining so much, so I think the Pinesol helps. It doesn't help that there's a pasture below ours with about 20-30 cows, and no fly predators for that field.

A friend of mine is spraying her stall walls with a mixture of water and orange essential oils, and feels that it helps also. But the Pinesol is cheaper.

cruisinlight

• View Profile
Re: Some fly relief
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2017, 03:25:32 pm »

I DON"T spray my horse with the Pinesol! (wanted to clarify)

And I DO spray him with fly spray. It seems to work better if I saturate him. Well, spray him enough to leave him kind of damp.

abbypeaches

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2017, 07:19:57 am »

Interesting. I will have to try Pinesol.   Thanks for the suggestion.

Marilyn
Marilyn and
 Bud, 30 yo reg. MFT gelding, Montana's Silver Mist(Misty) 20 yo MFT & Midnight Rendezvous (Kate) 16 mo mare.

oncidium

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2017, 07:08:05 am »

I don't think this is a good idea.  All those chemicals in Pinesol being sprayed and being air born for any species of lungs to be inhaled. 

Flying a fly spray as a premise spray would be better I would tend to think. 

Or even tea tree oil? 

Remove poop.  Put down lime. 

I would suggest you read up closely on Pinesol.  It does not have pine in it btw "due to the limited supply of pine oil" in 2014.  I am reading on wikipedia about it, but there are other links you can read up on it too.  I don't think Pinesol is intended to be a premise spray.  It is not to be used on wood it says.

O

Careful with that light at the end of the tunnel, it may be another train coming.

You don’t knock on the devil’s door unless you want him to answer.

cruisinlight

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2017, 12:13:31 pm »

Oh, wow, Oncidium, thanks for the info. I never thought to look into these details.

My friend does use orange oil and is happy with it, so there's another option.

We do remove poop, and we put down lime.

I thought Pine Sol was still made from pine oil. However, I do see (at least according to the Pinesol website) that it is okay to use on wood if you don't leave puddles on the wood and it's okay to use around pets, though not as a shampoo. I don't think it is as toxic as fly sprays. I only spray lightly and never when the horses are actually in the shed.

kckc

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2017, 12:32:33 pm »

if you have electric a couple of good fans keep the flies away... 
I am also trying neem oil (essential) in my fly spray ... that might be something to incorporate into spraying the walls
http://www.discoverneem.com/neem-oil-insecticide.html
NC

oncidium

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2017, 03:55:35 pm »

You should look into over head fly sprays.  they are metered and spray on intervals.  TSC has some and some have fragrance in them.  Jeffers also sells them too.  It would be a sprays safe for livestock and to kill insects.  They can just be installed easy.  And then there are the fly spray systems which are $$.  My friend has one which is the $$ one and it is super nice to have in the barn.  I looked into putting ones in my barn, but I just didn't have that many flys that year.  But I would if I did have a bad fly problem put the less expensive one to try to see if I liked it.

Here is a link as to what I am talking about.  This is from Jeffers, but i think TSC also has them.  These are safer than pinesol.  Also orange oil lots of animals have allergies to it too.  A friend was using some chemical free cleaner and it made her dogs eyes swell BAD.  And it came down to the orange oil in it.  Sorry.  But hey I guess we all have to be careful these days on things mfg'd.

https://www.jefferspet.com/products/country-vet-flying-insect-control-kits-and-refills

Here is a link on citrus oils .  There are other links also.  I did a search on "orange oil safe for dogs"  And this is one of the links.  I am sure there are links which say it is safe too.

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+1677&aid=2281
O
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 03:58:34 pm by oncidium »

PAWalker

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2017, 06:29:20 pm »

Flies of any sort are not an issue in my barn.  Both horses have their own barrel fans and come in when the deer and horse flies get bad.

I don't spray them for turnout because nothing lasts longer than 20 minutes on these miserable humid days and it does encourage them to come in the barn.

Some folks on another forum have really been talking up "EcoVet" fly spray.  It's all natural and everyone says it stinks to high heaven --- one person likening it to burned crayons, lol

EcoVet allegedly works on the premise of the smell confusing the flies and mosquitoes to the point they won't land on the horse (not even the big black horse flies).

If that's true, it is worth every expensive penny I just spent when I ordered two 18 ounce bottles from Dover Saddlery (cheapest place I could find).

Here's a link to a clinical study done on EcoVet in 2014.  It was the push I needed to try the stuff. 

http://horse-journal.com/article/ecovet-fly-spray-strong-21587

The degree of efficacy seems to depend on how serious the fly and mosquito issues are.

I expect EcoVet to live up to its smelly reputation because I barely have mosquitoes, and the flies are just bad enough to to make life miserable when the horses start to sweat.  We'll see ---- if it works to keep the big flies from landing on the horses, I'll order a gallon.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 06:30:59 pm by PAWalker »

PAWalker

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2017, 10:38:33 am »

I spayed the horses with the EcoVet for the first time yesterday 07-19-17).

1.  The odor was not as offensive as I was lead to believe -- others may find it pungent.  IMO, it is in the realm of incense and patchouli oil, ----- just get out the hippie curtain beads and you'll like it, lollollol

2.  Instructions say to lightly spray lower legs, lower body and do NOT spray a profusely sweating horse. 

My question to myself was how is this going to keep the black horse flies off their butts :o

2.1But, I sprayed as directed and turned Rusty & Joker out. 

3. While I was cleaning stalls, I got the bright idea to spray EcoVet in the corners where spider webs always gather, up inside the wood boring bees perfectly drilled 1/4" holes, and on the red wasp nest that had four bees on the outside of it :o

I could still smell the fly spray this morning.  Some spider webs were still gone.  The wasps had returned, so I sprayed them again.  I will say they didn't come after me, like they do when I use regular bee spray.  As advertised, it does seem to disorient them but it didn't kill them.

4.  Does EcoVet work on the horse:. Meh ----  Rusty came in last night with a big welt on his neck; I slathered it with hemorrhoid ointment and it was gone this morning. So it was a bite from something with wings.

I'm not sold on it for the money it costs but I will use it and go against their instructions (I will spray butts and top lines to see if it keeps the black horse flies off them. 

As far as fly spray, I still have the best success with Zonk!  And it's the cheapest thing out there.

If life gets too miserable in the real world, my horses each have their own end of the barn with their own barrel fans.  They spend several hours daily in there - more for the heat/humidity than the flies.

Today our heat index is supposed to hit 105F.  The pipe rails on the gate will burn a person's hands by 10:00 AM.

Anyway that is my EcoVet personal experience - It is not impressing me but it might work better under different circumstances:)

MyBoyG

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2017, 06:43:03 pm »

I installed a Country Vet fly sprayer in G's stall and its amazing how it cuts down the flys and mosquitos in his stall.  His stall has three open windows and a door, but it mists every 15 minutes and really keeps them at bay.  When they're bothering him too much outside, he goes into his stall for relief.  I still haven't found a fly spray that lasts more than 30-60 minutes, but still spray him with UltraShield when grooming and getting ready for a ride.  I just don't go anywhere without the fly risk :)
 [url]http://www.doversaddlery.com/country-vet-fly-spray-dispenser-kit/p/w1-c2319a/?eid=X18A00U1000&utm_source=google&utm_medium=PLA&utm_campaign=NB_PLA_Retail_New+England_GOOG&adpos=1o3&creative=182746402219&device=c&matchtype=&network=g/url]

Horsemanship, the wonderful never ending journey of learning!   Every job is a self-portrait of the person who does it.  Autograph your work with excellence.

Karen

• View Profile
    • Woodland Brittanys
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2017, 09:54:43 am »

We're considering the Country Vet metered misters also.  Our setup is 10' long x  24' wide (6 standing stalls, each 4' wide x 10' long).  I'm wondering if we should buy 2 or 3 misters.  Kate, what would you recommend? 
Karen

fargos handmaiden

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2017, 03:44:18 pm »

We use acv in the water troughs and feed thru. In water, harder to keep consistent due to auto waterers, at a rate of 2cups per 100 gallons when we clean tanks or second-guess supply is depleted. In feed we mix 1/4 to 1/3 C in grain per day. Compared to our neighbor's horses, tails stay pretty quiet. We keep fly spray but seldom use it. You have to use everyday and and long time to see results. Has other health benefits as well with Mother. Fact that we feed diatomaceous earth too, probavly two together, helps keep flies out of their manure.

Great believer in fly preditors too. Also hanging shiny moving, reflective things around barn helps, like super shiny silver cd discs, clear plastic bags of water, etc.

Our horses are as fly-free as any sprayed daily with fly spray, maybe more so due to how fast it sweats off. While our goats would be covered. So we have started them on the acv with mother. Not long enough yet but goats definitelu less.covered than before.  Not cheap but easier and healthier than spraying with poison sprays everyday.

Long ago when Fargo was stabled, I covered his stall floor in DE. That stable was so bad on flies/mosquitos, they would make the horses run. He seemed to have much needed relief in the stall but the DE WILL KILL your fly preditors so it is either or there. Hope this helps.
Pages: [1]   Go Up