verify account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 27 years old, now UNretired  (Read 233 times)

KysaSD

• Administrator
27 years old, now UNretired
« on: June 06, 2017, 03:48:23 pm »

I decided this is probably the right place for this conversation.

Shay, my standardbred.
I bought her at age 14, after she had been injured off the racetrack (harness racing), had 3 babies, then to a PMU ranch for more babies.

I am pretty sure her early life was less than ideal for longevity.  She was an AWESOME trail horse, until I retired her at 23 for intermittent chronic lameness.  I figured the she had more than earned retirement.  I have ridden her a bit the past two years, but really not much.  just occasional and only on flat ground.

A week before I left for the Black Hills, I suddenly needed to provide one more horse for guests.  So, I reluctantly took Shay.  I figured if she was tired or lame, the rest could ride, and I would stay in camp.  That is very peaceful, too.

Well, I pulled a retired horse from pasture, no legging up, and she MARCHED for 50 miles leading trail rides up and down steep rocky terrain.  WOW.  I have not done anything to treat the intermittent lameness, except let her be in the pasture.  She has not been on any special supplements...just alfalfa pellets and mineral mix like the rest.

I don't know where I am going with this, except to say, i am surprised and Shay is so back in the riding herd.
Kysa, South Dakota, 2 Mountain Horses, a Curly Foxtrotter, a TWH and a Mini, yes, I am crazy!

NoBite

• Administrator
Re: 27 years old, now UNretired
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2017, 05:01:30 pm »

What a heart-warming story! Shay has a job to do, again. Happy horse!
- Life is short. Ride your best horse.

John Maldaner, western Kentucky
Star KMSH, 1991-2017 R.I.P.     Legs, MFT, 1999-2018 R.I.P.    Bandit, TWH, 2005   Smokey, TWH, 2010

kckc

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2017, 05:24:25 pm »

that's wonderful !!
NC

slamduncan

• ACE my next project
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2017, 06:05:59 pm »

I am so happy for you and Shay!!  That said I am not surprised that this is happening. STBs are the unsung diamonds  of the horse world.  They are just the best.
I am so glad you had a great trip and hope there are many more rides for the 2 of you.
Judi, Ace and Tressje fan Winn (aka Miss T.)

loneelk

• Life is a journey, enjoy the ride!
    • Lone Elk's Lodge
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2017, 05:42:44 am »

Wonderful story!  Sometimes R&R in right situation can be truly restorative!  Nothing like coming back post retirement!
Val & Gunner, hittin' the trails in southern NM
"Find a place inside where there's joy, and the joy will burn out the pain"--Joseph Campbell
www.bonanza.com/loneelk

Laurie

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2017, 07:01:49 am »

Pasture life restored her apparently! I bet she enjoyed being back in action again :) I wish I had a "Shay" to ride every now and again :)

That's kind of what we did to our first TWH....we had to retire him at 27 because he came down with EPM. We nursed him through it but it left him with weakness on one side, so we retired him to pasture. He thrived, got fat and sassy,  and lived to be either 35 or 37....can't remember just now. It is amazing what just letting them be a horse in the pasture can do for them ;)

Laurie

caglover

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2017, 04:26:58 am »

You can't beat the heart of the Standardbred!

KysaSD

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2017, 01:09:24 pm »

Adding to this, I did get her teeth floated.  It had been 4 years since I kept thinking....next winter I will have to euthanize her. 

The definitely needed doing, left side with very sharp points.  But the vet noted that she still has ALL her teeth, and they are looking very good for 27.  Am I sure she is 27, yes indeed, I have her registration papers and they match her lip tattoo!
Kysa, South Dakota, 2 Mountain Horses, a Curly Foxtrotter, a TWH and a Mini, yes, I am crazy!
Pages: [1]   Go Up