Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Camping, cabins in Illinois  (Read 436 times)

KysaSD

• Administrator
Camping, cabins in Illinois
« on: June 04, 2017, 09:58:25 am »

So, as we were camping today, we decided maybe our group could meet in Illinois.  We would prefer to rent at least one cabin. Those who live nearby, please make suggestions.  I know we have members in the area.
Kysa, South Dakota, 2 Mountain Horses, and a Mini, yes, I am crazy!

NoBite

• Administrator
Re: Camping, cabins in Illinois
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2017, 10:23:19 am »

There are cabins to rent at our campground in the Shawnee Forest. Hayes Canyon Campground. I am not sure about cabins at other campgrounds nearby. If you need something with greater capacity, I will search around for you. Now, there is a private cabin/stables just across the street from Hayes Canyon Campground that does have facilities for quite a few people. In fact, I believe there is a minimum number of folks required to rent it. Camp Thirsty

Lots of great trails out of this area. Loretta and I have a permanent site at Hayes. Other members are close by, too. Depending on length of stay, there are a great many trail heads a short haul from these camps (less than 30 minutes) that provide access to great many additional wonderful trails.
- Life is short. Ride your best horse.

John Maldaner, western Kentucky
Legs, MFT, 1999   Bandit, TWH, 2005   Smokey, TWH, 2010

KysaSD

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2017, 06:42:24 am »

Bringing this up again.  If anyone camps or rides or both in this area in 2017, please give me a review.  We will probably have to rent a cabin in early 2018 to get it when we can be there.
When will we be there, I don't know.  Rita will need to work out times with her granddaughter when her granddaughter is not in school.

ClaudiaIN

• CQ Equine Gifts.Facebook.com/
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2017, 07:18:51 am »

We ride here at least once a year.  Can't go wrong in Shawnee National Forest.  Depending on how many you need for the cabin, Hayes Canyon where John has a site would be my first choice.  Decent restaurant close too.
PEr Jody who lives there, Bay Creek has some of the prettiest riding.  We haven't been to that campground yet, but it's next on our list
see my website @ www.CQEquine.com

And on Facebook.   Www.Facebook.com/CQEquine

KysaSD

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2017, 08:52:35 am »

Those who ride here....what month would you recommend based on weather?  Do the trails get closed due to rain?  Anything else do I need to know for the planning of this.

kckc

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2017, 01:27:35 pm »

whoever goes through NC enroute to ILlinois for this trip stop and pick me up !
NC

KysaSD

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2017, 01:32:10 pm »

:'(
KC, I would but I think I come from the exact opposite direction!

kckc

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2017, 01:34:54 pm »

*sigh* probably.... unless I find you a curly horse here in my neck of the woods  :-)
NC

NoBite

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2017, 05:52:33 pm »

Those who ride here....what month would you recommend based on weather?  Do the trails get closed due to rain?  Anything else do I need to know for the planning of this.

My favorite time of year in the Shawnee Forest is mid October to mid November. The bugs are mostly gone, the air is getting crisp, the leaves are turning or falling, which is pretty and also gives better views of the landscape and it's not particularly the rainy season. Spring is nice, but that sure can be dicey with rain. And, with the leaves coming out, so are the bugs. Mid-summer can be humid and ground bees can be an issue. You certainly need to be aware of their whereabouts.

This year we have friends coming to visit and ride October 21 for seven to ten days. Should be a very good time to ride. We had scheduled a mid-April ride with friends, but that one had to be postponed due to heavy rains. Hope that helps!

Walkin45

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2017, 06:01:43 pm »

No bees?

KysaSD

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2017, 06:23:35 pm »

Sigh.  We were hoping to bring Rita's granddaughter.  Not sure how the school will feel about missing school for riding.  But I agree with your estimate.  Fall would be better than mid-summer.

ClaudiaIN

• CQ Equine Gifts.Facebook.com/
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2017, 06:28:41 pm »

When does she get out of school?  Late May , early June is usually when we go.  Even if it's warm, it's cool in the woods.
see my website @ www.CQEquine.com

And on Facebook.   Www.Facebook.com/CQEquine

NoBite

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2017, 06:43:23 pm »

No bees?

Ground bees. Technically, they are hornets, but nearly everyone calls them bees. It's faster and easier to say! I'm talking about the ones that make a nest in holes in the ground and are highly territorial. If you are in a small group, say less than 4 or 5 riders, you can usually ride right by a nest without disturbing it. But, if you're in a larger group or if another group has been by the nest recently, they can swarm out of the nest and attack the nearest horses and riders. It is quite a phenomena and known areas of ground bees will be marked off with bright tape. Usually the office of nearby horse camps can tell you of reports and locations of bees. It's something to be aware of, especially if you are sensitive to stings or are not sure of how your horse might react. I have not seen this issue at LBL or in TN, but it is a real concern in the hot days of summer in the Shawnee.

KysaSD

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2017, 08:10:04 am »

Gaitedappylady is one of the people wanting to meet up at Shawnee next year.  I am meeting her in Iowa the end of September, and we will discuss the options.  End of May/first of June would work if we take her granddaughter.  We we do October, I think she would not be able to miss that much school.

riding the sun

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2017, 08:07:17 am »

We usually go about May-June.  Seems to be the best, no bees, not too hot. A GREAT place to ride!  Any of the campgrounds are good.  I like High Knob the best because the trails lead to the rock formations right away.  You can ride to Garden of the Gods there.  A "don't miss" sight.  But any of the campgrounds have awesome trials.  You can't go wrong.

So glad you are planning this, you will love it!
My favorite trail is the next one
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up