Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Causes of head tossing  (Read 656 times)

Cassidy

• S.W. Michigan
    • View Profile
Re: Causes of head tossing
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2017, 12:51:26 pm »

luvmysmh, not all string girths are the same. Kysa is using a Mohair girth and if yours is cotton then don't expect the same results.  Mohair and Alpaca are natural fibers and have a natural give to them even if tight so it allows the horse to breathe well, other materials will not work the same.  Give does not mean stretch out and tight does not mean you should over tighten any girth, I only mean it is a give in the natural fibers.  I use both now and have been very, very happy I finally switched to using them.  Alpaca is my first choice but sometimes I can't get what I need and then I get Mohair, both are great I just think Alpaca is a tad softer.  FYI, you can get 100% mohair in English and endurance too.
Chris, S.W. Michigan

luvmysmh

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2017, 12:54:40 pm »

my string girth was purchased YEARS ago (as in - my very first horse so about 30 years ago).  I imagine it is just cotton string as I was very poor then ;)

fargos handmaiden

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2017, 02:15:13 am »

Wow!! Am I glad this came up. In process of buying new girths, neoprene one and other that thick fuzzy stuff. Turns out gotta get different size so will switch types. My legs are terribly scarred now because it turns out I am highly allergic to preservatives used on neoprene. Would you believe they use formaldehyde (sp?). Was rainboots, cheap and expensive boththat did it. Miserable! So would not want to do that to my horse. Thanks.

Seabreeze

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2017, 03:16:21 pm »

this is just MY experience with my horse.  She tossed her head like crazy mostly when moving out. I looked at EVERYTHING!!  Saddle - check.  Bit - check.  Girth - check.  Flies - no flies.  Basically I ruled out everything possible.  Because I never correct "attitude" unless I KNOW for sure or as sure as I can be. 
Gave her a pop on her neck when she tossed,  that didn't do much.  Then I gave her a sharp pop with one rein with a EHH!!!  And she said, "oh, ok."  She only tried it 2 more times and those two times, I have her a pop with one rein and she went along just fine.  Has not done it since and it's been 2 years now.  I can tell the difference if it's from flies now or if she's having a attitude.  I don't reprimand her at all if it's from a bug or flies.  So for my head tosser, it was an attitude. 

Laurie

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2017, 08:55:34 am »

That is something I would not have considered if there were no other signs, like rubbing, chafing or kicking at it.......however, we had a horse that developed into a head tosser later in his life....same saddle, same bridle, same bit, same girth as always.  We had his teeth checked by a equine dentist who floated them but found no problems.  Bottom line is we never solved the issue. It was irritating and especially noticeable in the first of the ride, and it eased up later.

He passed away last year so I will never know, but I never tried another girth.....interesting.  We used neoprene girths on all of our horses. Glad you solved your problem :)
« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 08:58:56 am by Laurie »

KysaSD

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2017, 09:04:18 am »

I should add, we did have some headtossing in he Black Hills.  One of the gals suggested a different weight of reins, as Jane's are so light.  And by golly, that helped.  The reins she is in now, flat braided cotton, are much heavier, but too short to allow for a drink.  I have a bunch of choices on orde, and when they get here, I guess we will try them for both horses and rider.

You just never know.  Carmel is an awesome horse and Jane loves her.

Funny story from a few days ago.  Jane got off and had to remount.  She was standing on something at my dads place, and it shifted as Jane was mounting.  She landed on Carmels butt behind the saddle, which greatly surprised Carmel.  She did not do more than shift her feet a bit, however.  Jane slid off, found a better choice of mounting block and got back on.  Good Carmel!
Kysa, South Dakota, 2 Mountain Horses, and a Mini, yes, I am crazy!

gallatingal

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2017, 12:18:05 pm »

Oh my gosh, some horses can be very particular and demanding that everything be "just so". And it is usually (but not always) mares.  Keeps life interesting :)
Life is short, buy the pony!

KysaSD

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2017, 07:25:51 am »

Just a follow up to this...heavier reins, and never ever a head toss.  I wish I could remember what the reins were like that Robin had when we tried her out.  Undoubtedly, heavier than what Jane prefers.  But since the rein switch, this mare has been darn near perfect.  She is a great horse, and a great addition to our herd.  A Molly, but taller!

gallatingal

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2017, 01:29:09 pm »

that is awesome. She is lucky she belongs to thinking people!

Ozhorse

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2017, 05:20:46 am »

If there is a severe problem with head tossing, it may come from the trigmenal nerve.  I googled a few articles.  Bridles with too short browbands can irritate this nerve too.

https://www.fginsight.com/vip/vip/much-more-to-headshaking-than-behaviour-493

http://headshakingsyndrome.com/proposed_pathways.html

http://www.worldhorsewelfare.org/Headshaking

KysaSD

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2017, 06:38:04 am »

Sadly, I think Ozhorse is right, this is a case of trigeminal nerve head tossing.
She already gets Mg, and we are upping it and giving her different forms.
We did try a nose net, which helped.
We tried a micklem multi bridle...jury is still t on that one.  Better than the halter bridle we were using, but not perfect.
Lastly we tried an option With no noseband.
That option got no head tossing outdoors on a very windy day...but Jane only rode out there for 10 minutes because it was cold and windy!
And many horses do not do it in winter, so I am not sure that is the cure.  I hope so, but I am not sure. 
Surgery would not be an option unless we go to the university of Minnesota 4 hrs away.  We will cross that bridge later.  She is otherwise a PERFECT horse, and perfect for Jane.  In all the headtossing, she has never once offered to buck or rear or do anything dangerous.

gallatingal

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2017, 06:45:46 am »

wow! I learn something new everyday.

kckc

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2017, 08:41:02 am »

kysa, I have long looked at the barefoot physio bridle because it supposedly moves the pressure behind the ears.  I have not seen one in person and have gone to biothane tack or I probably would have already tried one.   
NC

Laurie

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2017, 10:23:38 am »

I was watching a show on RFDTV the other day where horses were going through a course of trail obstacles in an event.  This guy rode through the novice course demonstrating for the tv program, and he was riding his horse with nothing but a circle of leather around the horse's neck.....no bridle.

He appeared to be guiding his horse by neck reigning with the piece of leather. Not sure I would ever be brave enough to give up my bridle, but it worked for him!......think it was a quarter horse.

KysaSD

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2017, 03:44:56 pm »

I actually think we would try that, before we gave up on the horse.  She is so good otherwise.  And she is never dangerous, it is just an annoyance.  So, no noseband, not a success.  Tried a one ear headstall.  Not a success.  Tried a side pull.  Better, but it did not fit her well.  Went back to the micklem multibridle and used it bitless.  Good but not perfect, and Jane did loose a little control with that.  Not bad, though.  And then we added the nose net.  I think we will try that again, bitless with a nose net and a longer ride.  We had intended a longer ride but came back to try something else when she started tossing.

And I should add, yes we do think it is head tossing due to issues with the trigeminal nerve.  She is also going to be on a double dose of Mg.  The MgO mineral mix I make for my horses, plus a dose of grand calm, which has some other forms of Mg in it.  And we will basically try everything anyone else has ever tried.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 03:47:13 pm by KysaSD »
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up