Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Causes of head tossing  (Read 763 times)

KysaSD

• Administrator
Causes of head tossing
« on: May 08, 2017, 06:30:05 pm »

So, we have one horse here that is head tossing.  This is a well broke horse.

The horse has done it before, but not to this extent.

Teeth were done last week.  A few sharp edges, I really hoped doing the teeth would fix it.  But no.

Saddle is a good fit.  The horse may not like the bit.  When purchased, previous owner was using a single joint bit with fairly long shanks.  That is a bit I refuse to use.  Currently we have the horse in a Myler MB 33 short shanks.  Tomorrow, I am going to try an English hackamore.

Bugs, were bugging her.  But again, I think that may make the issue worse, but is not the root cause.

Any more ideas.  I want to fix this before a week long trip to the Black Hills.

The horse does some of this out of impatience.  She tosses the head less when she is out front.  But still, the head tossing is there. 
Kysa, South Dakota, 2 Mountain Horses, a Curly Foxtrotter and a Mini, yes, I am crazy!

kckc

Re: Causes of head tossing
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2017, 06:58:40 pm »

oh my boy just started this when we're standing still... for him it is impatience and I think he likes to bounce the fringe on his face from his ear bonnet.   Have you tried an ear bonnet just in case it's hair tickling ears?  gnats?   try moving bit up or down in the mouth - was just reading about having it not put a wrinkle and allows horse to pick up the bit (interesting article) -- try leading around with the bit in mouth and just see if it continues.   Any chance saddle is pinching and that is her way of telling you?  can you ride bareback to test

Ok, out of ideas  :-)
NC

gallatingal

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2017, 05:35:26 am »

Just a little food for thought, just because it is the head tossing, doesn't necessarily mean that is where the problem is.  My husband's horse Happy was so upset with the bit that we put him in a hackamore, but the behavior (pulling, tossing head, excessive chewing) continued without anything in his mouth. We actually solved it with a different rigging.
Try the hackamore, but try changing some other things if that doesn't solve it, a different saddle pad, no breast collar or add a breast collar, different girth. It would be wonderful if there is one thing that works on all horses.
 :-\
Life is short, buy the pony!

KysaSD

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2017, 05:41:20 am »

Nelda....you may have something there.  Carmel is the only horse we are currently riding in a neoprene girth.  Largely because that was the one the right size.  All the rest have woolback girths, due to sensitivity.

I will definitely try a woolback girth the next ride.
Kysa, South Dakota, 2 Mountain Horses, a Curly Foxtrotter and a Mini, yes, I am crazy!

oncidium

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2017, 06:30:39 am »

Check ears.

Check that the brow band is big enough for the horses forehead.

O

misstux

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2017, 08:26:28 am »

A friend of mine rides her horse with a nose net. It stopped his head tossing.

PAWalker

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2017, 01:41:22 pm »

Sometimes eye issues can cause a bit of head throwing.

Joker doesn't really toss his hear but he will throw his head up, in an almost violent motion, if he is looking for Rusty.   He doesn't toss his head all the time -- just when he wants to see something in the far distance.

The vet did confirm his eyesight isn't what it used to be.

MyBoyG

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2017, 05:27:08 pm »

Check ears.

Check that the brow band is big enough for the horses forehead.

O
And having a head tosser when the 'no seeums' and other bugs are out, I know how big a pain it can be! Heck, if it starts showering, he'll do it too.  Hates having anything hit his face. You can also try riding with a quiet ride mask and see if it makes a difference.

Horsemanship, the wonderful never ending journey of learning!   Every job is a self-portrait of the person who does it.  Autograph your work with excellence.

KysaSD

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2017, 07:34:13 am »

I think we fixed this, so I wanted to share about it.

We had her teeth done.  Not bad, but a few sharp edges.  We readjusted to bit to sit a little better.

Still head tossing, BAD.

So over the weekend, we tried different girths.  I started her with Savanna's woolback girth.  No head tossing, but she kicked at her belly.  Then we went back to the neoprene girth we had been using.  MAJOR head tossing.  We finished up with a mohair string girth, and she was quiet and calm.  So, that is the answer, she needs a mohair string girth.

kckc

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2017, 07:56:23 am »

well, that's interesting.
NC

stablemind

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2017, 08:23:14 am »

This is VERRRRY INTERESTING! When I read Nelda's post, a lightbulb went on here, too. A couple years ago I bought a wool-back girth for Babe. I didn't use it 100% of the time. If the trails were going to be sloppy-muddy, I'd grab his neoprene girth instead because it's easier to clean up afterward.

Babe had gotten the habit of puffing his belly out when I saddled him up. Right away, I noticed he didn't do it with the wool-back girth. That was enough evidence for me that he prefers it over the neoprene girth. But Nelda's post reminded me that sometimes, after a couple hours on the trail (or sooner), Babe would sometimes start diving his head down, rooting at the bit and "faking" that he has something biting him on the leg. I wondered if his bit might be bothering him or something about the bridle. Had I been heavy with my hands? Did his back hurt? I never did figure it out.

Now I actually think it was another way of expressing that he doesn't like the neoprene girth. Incidentally, I went back to using the neoprene in winter and it doesn't seem to bother him when he has thick winter hair between his skin and the girth. But as soon as he was shed out, I switched back to the wool-back girth. 

gallatingal

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2017, 09:53:45 am »

that is very interesting. If you think about it, it is hard to shake your belly!  ;D
Life is short, buy the pony!

NoBite

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2017, 11:47:24 am »

that is very interesting. If you think about it, it is hard to shake your belly!  ;D

Nope, I will not go there. Wanted to. Not going to do it! 
- Life is short. Ride your best horse.

John Maldaner, western Kentucky
Star KMSH, 1991-2017 R.I.P.     Legs, MFT, 1999-2018 R.I.P.    Bandit, TWH, 2005   Smokey, TWH, 2010

luvmysmh

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2017, 06:58:28 am »

I would have NEVER thought of a girth issue as causing head tossing!  This is really interesting to me.  Wish tosses his head every now and then (less often then he used to), usually on the way home.  Sometimes I can attribute it to me getting a little too tight.  But sometimes I really feel I am not tight on him at all and can't figure out why he does it.

I had a string girth that I tried to sell at a consignment shop but it never did sell and I took it back.  I have been planning to try it on him anyway since the school of thought these days seems to be that string girths are better.  This gives me more incentive to give it a go.  Of course I now have to wait until my dr. releases me to go back to riding but I am definitely going to try that girth.

oncidium

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2017, 07:43:39 am »

Belly shaking = bucking.

Or, at least turning head and neck to bite at girth or riders leg.

O
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up