Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Karen - pasture work  (Read 351 times)

kckc

Karen - pasture work
« on: May 03, 2017, 11:32:40 am »

Hey Karen,   saw your post about the pasture... you might look for a pasture rake to hook to your tractor - I adore mine.   It will help with rocks, sticks etc and loosen the topsoil.  I also use mine for dragging my driveway.   I will note that some of the cheap ones made for compact tractors do not have strong tines and if you get to wide of one it is clumsy if you are trying to go around trees, buildings, stumps etc.   Some are also "lawn" rakes and those will not stand up to rocks, roots etc.     Used they are not too expensive and resell well (at least in our area).    http://www.sears.com/agri-fab-48-in-landscape-rake/p-07124537000P
NC

Karen

• Woodland Brittanys
Re: Karen - pasture work
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2017, 12:35:29 pm »

We've talked about getting a york rake before, but I've never found a "deal" on one, and to order one from Tractor Supply comes to over $700.  John has a box blade and a brush hog on his tractor implement list (I have $$ put aside for those 2 implements), but you're right, a landscape rake might really help.  I'll have to mention it to John.  He's in sailing mode right now, so it's hard to get his attention if it's not boat related :-)
Karen

Raylin

• "If you only knew what your horses thought of you!"
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2017, 05:17:59 pm »

We tried one of the landscape rakes but discovered the limbs would get caught in the tines so we done it the old fashioned way by doing it by hand.

We ended up renting a skidsteer with this type of attachment : http://fecon.com/forestry/equipment/mulching-attachments/

It ground up the limbs & stumps well.

Raylin

kckc

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2017, 06:18:05 pm »

oh yes, the limbs can definitely get into the tines ... and I love those mulching machines/attachments... Years ago had some of my property mulched (they won't use on real rocky areas) .... and not cheap
NC

ClaudiaIN

• CQ Equine Gifts.Facebook.com/
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2017, 12:22:06 pm »

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200641649_200641649?cm_mmc=Google-pla&utm_source=Google_PLA&utm_medium=Farm%20%2B%20Acreage%20%3E%203-Point%20Category%200%20Implements%20%3E%20Category%200%20Disc%20Harrows%20%2B%20Rakes&utm_campaign=NorTrac&utm_content=42017&gclid=CND34biu2dMCFQsuaQodVdoBUQ

This chain narrow is the most used tool on our property, other than the 4 wheeler.  With the tine sides down it will break up soil , manure,etc.  flip it over and it will smooth out drives, dirt,etc.   we actually bought 2 in 2001, they were a lot cheaper then and so we have one about 6-8 foot long total when they are together.
see my website @ www.CQEquine.com

And on Facebook.   Www.Facebook.com/CQEquine

Karen

• Woodland Brittanys
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2017, 12:18:44 pm »

Claudia, thanks so much for the link!!  I wound up ordering a box blade & brush hog from Northern.  Never even thought of them, but they had good reviews and good prices...and they deliver with a lift gate.  Got the shipping advise today, so they should arrive in the next week or two.

A harrow is on my wish list, but it'll take the better part of the next year to get the cleared property usable, and then another year without horses on it.....and THEN we'll need a harrow, so I have time :-)
Karen

riding the sun

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2017, 10:16:10 am »

We have an old harrow that we bought at a farm sale eons ago.  It works great for the driveway and pastures.  Just a bit hard to turn around
at the end of the drive.
My favorite trail is the next one
Pages: [1]   Go Up