verify account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Alternative to Panacur Power Pac?  (Read 616 times)

Raylin

• "If you only knew what your horses thought of you!"
  • Global Moderator
Alternative to Panacur Power Pac?
« on: April 13, 2017, 04:03:11 pm »

It is recommended by the vet that I deworm everybody with the Power Pac. But with 6 horses that is close to $400

Just wondered if there is something else that I could do that is more cost effective/ cheaper?

Raylin

KysaSD

• Administrator
Re: Alternative to Panacur Power Pac?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2017, 04:08:17 pm »

What are you deworming FOR?  What parasites are you after? 
Kysa, South Dakota, 2 Mountain Horses, a Curly Foxtrotter, a TWH and a Mini, yes, I am crazy!

gallatingal

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2017, 04:16:58 pm »

We did a power pac on Eldorado a few years back after he came back for a boarding situation looking poor . He really bloomed after that.  It is about the only way to get those  encysted small strongyles. Probably worth the money. It is Panacur (fenbendazole)  double dose for 5 days.  Maybe you can buy it in the cattle wormer (Safeguard)  and save a little bit. It is still expensive though when you have quite a few horses.
Life is short, buy the pony!

Raylin

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2017, 04:46:35 pm »

I tested Lovey & got Strongyle OVA present Moderate
3900 strongyle eggs per gram.

Raylin

oncidium

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2017, 03:18:11 pm »

I don't think people do the "pancur-purge" anymore.  That is old, $$$$$$$$$$, and there are BETTER wormers out there.  Yeah I have done the "purge".  I started to get sick if I even smelled, or handled (even with gloves) the Fenbendazole.  It is such a high quantity of wormer for so long.  Arg.  Old method.

Use Equimax.  $10.99 JeffersEquine.  This is the new-now.  You could use Quest, but there are risks you can read about on the internet.

You want them cleared of worms, do this wormer 3 times every 2 weeks.  So worm, wait 2 weeks, worm, wait 2 weeks, worm, wait 2 weeks.  Depending on weight for a horse (not pony)  give whole tube.  I usually use ivermectin 2 weeks later after the last worming of Equimax.  Most worms have a 14 day cycle, which is why you do the intervals.

Equimax is MUCH safer than Quest. 

The 3 times in 2 week intervals also gets the neck thread worms.  The combo between the Ivermectin and Praziquantel are what will kill NTW's, but needs to be done in 2 week intervals, 3 times.

Happy worming.

O

Raylin

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2017, 10:13:23 am »

Thanks O,

Much cheaper doing it that way. I am getting very horse poor at the moment. :(

oncidium

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2017, 02:34:53 pm »

Yeah, I have done it a few times.  And honestly, I really didn't think it helped with the purge.  It was new, envogue, oooh, ahhh, whoop'tie doo.  And really pricy.  I used a cattle gun.  Double the dose for their weight 5 days in a row.  My big 15.3HH QH weighed about 1300#'s so you can do the math on how many "clicks" of the cattle gun I had to do for him.  Poor guy.  Worming should not be that difficult on the horse/pony.  It is like a  long time ago everybody tube wormed their horses, well tube worming is the 5 day purge these days.  Old school, and there are better wormers and methods these days.

I do see results with the Equimax.  Also it gets more tougher worms.

The Equimax can also be given in a double dose per weight of horse/pony.  Ivermectin can also.

You can do internet searches and verify what I have said is correct or not.  If not, please correct me with a source, so I can check it out. 

I do Equimax a few times a year. 

O

gallatingal

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2017, 04:55:51 pm »

the only problem with that is Equimax doesn't do the job on the small strongyles
Moxidectin and fenbendazole wormers are the only ones that can kill the encysted small strongyles.

oncidium

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2017, 06:12:39 am »

gallatingal

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2017, 09:25:57 am »

I would talk this over with my vet if he/she had recommended a Power Pac, if this would be an effective alternative.

Cashela

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2017, 08:38:39 am »

The reason to do a powerpac is to get rid of the encysted strongyles.  You can do a powerpac or dose with Quest.  I know that Quest is scary.  I have used Quest Plus.  I was scared to death but did it any way.  As long as you are dosing the correct weight and are dosing healthy horses I think there is less of an issue. 

Another option is to buy safeguard goat dewormer and dose them with that.  If you look it up on COTH some where on there it tells you how to convert the dosage.  I've done that before as well.

http://www.lathamdvm.com/articles/cyathostomes.shtml
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 08:49:19 am by Cashela »
Jenn-New Hampshire

ahmenti

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2017, 09:01:22 am »

I love Equimax also.  My horses all do well on it.

Kim

gallatingal

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2017, 07:17:39 am »

Interesting article . http://thehorsesback.com/encysted-small-strongyles/

Equimax is ivermectin and prazaquantil
If instead you worm with moxidectin (Equest) or a five-day dose of fenbendazole (Panacur 100 or WSD Fenbendazole), not only are the non-encysted adult small strongyles killed, but you will also kill a whole bunch of the encysted ones who were waiting to replace them. There will be no mass emergence of strongyles and no release of toxins.

To recap:
1) Moxidectin and fenbendazole wormers are the only ones that can kill the encysted small strongyles.
2) With other wormers, horses with a heavy worm burden can get sick or die when the encysted strongyles, which haven’t been killed, emerge through the colon wall to replace the non-encysted strongyles that have been killed.

kckc

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2017, 08:20:28 am »

can you test for the encysted?
NC

Cashela

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2017, 08:37:02 am »

No, the encysted doesn't show up.
Jenn-New Hampshire
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up