Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: What's the trick to cantering??????  (Read 1028 times)

meely3

Re: What's the trick to cantering??????
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2017, 11:26:43 am »

I was taught outside leg behind the girth, inside rein. I think. trying to do it without a horse might be messing with me a little. I find that some horses learn it better different ways. With the gaited horses I think they find it a little easier from a walk. A horse that trots is supposed to find it easier from a trot. My older gelding couldn't figure it out from a gait, but the younger one finds it a little easier to pick up some speed. They all find it easier up hill, and with a wide open space. The idea being to make it easier for them until they understand the cue, then to work on them doing it when it's harder. And then you can ask for the canter from the gait or the walk if you like, but I have not been able to get any of mine to downshift from a canter to a gait, I always end up with a pace or trot.

MyBoyG

« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2017, 03:56:30 pm »

Kate,

So do you never canter G from a gait? 

Wish is very pacey, always has been and always will be.  The most I get out of him is a step pace.  To the best of my knowledge, we've never racked.  So, my experience will be a lot like yours (except Wish is a lot older than G was at the time you taught him to canter).

Is it always walk-canter-walk?  I don't really care how we have to do it.  If we're out with friends and they go canter-trot, I can always go canter-walk a few strides-gait.
If I try to push it from gait, if I get a canter it's not on the correct lead and I generally just get a faster gait, pushing into a full blown pace. Because of his conformation - sickle hocked, long back, getting him in a squarer walk sets him up to transition well.  If I taught him to trot under saddle, I'd use trot, but I've avoided trying to teach him.  He has a big beautiful trot on the lunge, I just don't want him falling into it under saddle when he gets tired, etc.

Horsemanship, the wonderful never ending journey of learning!   Every job is a self-portrait of the person who does it.  Autograph your work with excellence.

luvmysmh

« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2017, 06:43:41 am »

That makes sense, and I think that is what will happen with Wish as well.  He is a bit cow-hocked, although he doesn't have a overly long back.  However, he is a hard pacer and I am guessing that pushing him up to a canter or bringing him down from a canter to a gait will simply produce a pace.  Wish can also do a quite nice trot on the lunge line.  I never have had him trot under saddle.  It was beyond my ability to teach it to him, and I figured I was just exchanging one problem for another anyway.  Pace is definitely his gait of choice unfortunately.

I will definitely have them teach it to him from a walk.  Right now my summer plans are up in the area.  The young lady who was going to teach Wish to canter this summer had a falling out with her parents and is right now saying that she will not be moving home after graduating from college.  I am hoping that this is something that will blow over by June, not just for my sake but for theirs as well.  There is another rider at my barn who probably could do it but she is strictly hunter/jumper.  If the first one falls through, I may have the second one give it a go.  I just think I'll have a lot more work to do to get Wish back to gaiting again after she finishes with him.

2gaits

« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2017, 08:37:58 pm »

There is no trick. It is hard work and conformation and what they are more natural at can make it easier or more difficult. Be careful. I've had them fall when trying to teach it. One literally flipped over when I was on him. Could have been deadly and looking back I was probably very lucky to not be seriously injured or dead. He crossfired and knocked his own feet out from under himself.

Ozhorse

« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2017, 03:50:00 pm »

I just came across a canter lead departure article that makes a lot of sense to me and describes how to prepare and practice at the walk first.

http://www.horsetrainingvideos.com/lead-tips.htm?inf_contact_key=2be5469f68f98d53097de9fb7df8644cad2019d945fef2c5419eef3f6e53e37c

wakemom

« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2017, 05:21:47 pm »

I'd say since you bought Dozer from Hope (he should have a canter button) I would ride him, learn the cue and then teach it to Jex.
Cheryl~Gabby's Mom

melissah

« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2018, 10:07:36 am »

UPDATE!

Jex Canters!

I realized (due to husband pointing out) I was not giving him enough rein because I was always waiting for the hammer to fall. Well, I started giving him rein and say "Canter" and he does.

Yesterday for the first time (I've cantered in my yard at regular canter speed) lol if there is a slower speed, Hannah and I were out with Jex & Dozer. Dozer, David's MFT has a beautiful rocking chair canter. But we came upon a long stretch of open trail and I decided lets go! I know Hannah can canter Dozer. We took off.....not that slow canter but a fast and furious one. When we both stopped Hannah had a huge grin and said how exhilarating that was. So both horses hauled butt in a fast canter. FUN!
Melissa, Southern California.....hitting the trails with Jex my Tennessee Walking Horse...soon.

Laurie

« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2018, 07:34:41 pm »

I believe that's called a "gallop" :) :) :)

melissah

« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2018, 07:57:22 am »

You know...I was wondering if that what I was doing. It was fast and didn't feel "canterish" lol
I believe that's called a "gallop" :) :) :)
Melissa, Southern California.....hitting the trails with Jex my Tennessee Walking Horse...soon.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up