verify account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Keep a pond ice-free?  (Read 344 times)

NoBite

• Administrator
Keep a pond ice-free?
« on: January 04, 2014, 02:38:05 pm »

A friend of mine just asked me an interesting question. She has a one-acre size pond that is 18 feet deep at one point. She has two geothermal units in her house both of which dump water into this pond.  She has ducks that she wants to protect from dogs and coyotes and is concerned that this pond will freeze over with the upcoming frigid temps.

Does anyone have a suggestion as to how she can keep the pond from freezing over?
- Life is short. Ride your best horse.

John Maldaner, western Kentucky
Star KMSH, 1991-2017 R.I.P.     Legs, MFT, 1999-2018 R.I.P.    Bandit, TWH, 2005   Smokey, TWH, 2010

kckc

Re: Keep a pond ice-free?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2014, 04:48:41 pm »

I previously read somewhere that ducks swimming keep the water moving but I would think they couldn't combat really cold/ice. 
They do have some aerators that supposedly keep the water moving - maybe solar powered type?   
or could she just build a duck house?  solid walls  so that they have to fly into it so that ground animals couldn't enter?  not sure how to teach them to get into this late in the year. or just a fenced enclosure?

I'm sure there are heaters for pools but don't know anything about them.
NC

MyBoyG

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2014, 06:36:54 pm »

Aeration is definitely a good way to go, and they do make solar powered fountains that may be enough to keep an opening in the center of the pond for her ducks.  Depending on what she wants to spend as far as upfront cost and monthly utilities, she may want to visit some pond websites, as there are alot of 'hobby ponders' with Koi, etc, and I bet there are a variety of aerator/fountain options. 

Horsemanship, the wonderful never ending journey of learning!   Every job is a self-portrait of the person who does it.  Autograph your work with excellence.

NoBite

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2014, 06:21:43 am »

Thanks for the suggestions! I am passing them along to my friend.
- Life is short. Ride your best horse.

John Maldaner, western Kentucky
Star KMSH, 1991-2017 R.I.P.     Legs, MFT, 1999-2018 R.I.P.    Bandit, TWH, 2005   Smokey, TWH, 2010
Pages: [1]   Go Up