Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Need a review...Twisted X  (Read 636 times)

KysaSD

• Administrator
Need a review...Twisted X
« on: February 06, 2017, 03:39:27 pm »

Anyone have a pair of these boots and like them.  Give me a review.

I need a new pair of Ariat Terrains.  I am finding Ariat just not as good or consistent quality since GAP bought them out.  I need to replace my Terriains that are 3.5 years old.  They have never fit quite right as they are too wide.  I lace them as tight as they will go and they are still too wide.

thinking about these
https://twistedx.com/product/wal0005/
Kysa, South Dakota, 2 Mountain Horses, a Curly Foxtrotter and a Mini, yes, I am crazy!

Raylin

• "If you only knew what your horses thought of you!"
  • Global Moderator
Re: Need a review...Twisted X
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2017, 04:50:05 pm »

Everyone likes the brand around here, don't know an of them that has them exact pair. Both Mom & Randall have Twisted X boots now.

stablemind

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2017, 05:11:33 pm »

I have a pair of their pull-on roper-style boots. Nice boots, plenty of width and toe room. I have no idea about this particular style, though.

KysaSD

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2017, 06:17:36 pm »

I well, Cyd, how are they holding up, and how is the comfort level?
Kysa, South Dakota, 2 Mountain Horses, a Curly Foxtrotter and a Mini, yes, I am crazy!

stablemind

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2017, 05:34:36 am »

They seem to be well-made and comfortable but I actually haven't worn them a lot. I got them for actual riding a couple years ago, but they are tan color and I could see my stirrups were going to turn the sides black. So I quit wearing them for riding. But now I have the nylon caged stirrups so they will probably become my main riding boots this year. My friend Jean got the same boots at the same time and she's been wearing them regularly and they still look good.

KysaSD

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2017, 06:26:17 am »

I suppose there is no other way to really know....except buy the first pair.  I need to replace my current Ariat Terrains that I bought for Iceland in 2013.  They are not as worn out as you might think because they have been a bit big.  Laced as tight as I can get them, they are still a tad too wide, therefore slightly uncomfortable.  But I need really good walking shoes before I go to New York.  I prefer multi purpose shoes that I can walk for miles in....and still ride in.

cruisinlight

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2017, 07:32:11 am »

Our tack store sells Twisted X, although not that model. People who wear them like them. One of my co-workers said that she thinks Twisted X is really comfortable. Of course results vary depending on what your foot is like.

Try adding an extra insole to your Terrains. That may help take up the extra space.

If you have another pair of Ariat boots, pull the Ariat insole out of that boot and stick it in the Terrain, just to try.

Ariat sells insoles too. If you go that route, use a half size smaller than the shoe size.

KysaSD

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2017, 07:47:00 am »

It here are two problems with the old Ariats.  First they are too wide, but an extra insole makes the toebox a bit tight.  I have been wearing thicker socks, and that helps.  But I also find that the internal support does not last as long, and that is now breaking down.  Not sure what Ariat is doing for materials and manufacturing, but it is not what it used to be.  Since I need all new hiking riding boots, I am considering a different brand.  I have looked at Justin a Horseshoes, but they do not fit me right.  And my friends have said they don't hold up so well.

loneelk

• Life is a journey, enjoy the ride!
    • Lone Elk's Lodge
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2017, 08:05:49 am »

I tried Justin riding shoes, in an effort to save a few $'s, about 8 yrs. ago.  They really did NOT fit right, and I think that they became the "last straw" on the way to plantar fasciitis. 
I'm not as fond of Ariat Terrains as I used to be when they first became available--will be interested in your feedback if you go forward w/ the Twisted X--they look sturdy.
Val & Gunner, hittin' the trails in southern NM
"Find a place inside where there's joy, and the joy will burn out the pain"--Joseph Campbell
www.bonanza.com/loneelk

oncidium

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2017, 10:21:20 am »

I got:

Ariat® Ladies' MaxTrak UL Zip Boot, in black. 

They also have a:

Ariat® Ladies' MaxTrak UL Lace Boot,

O
« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 10:14:52 am by oncidium »

stablemind

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2017, 12:08:31 pm »

The brown, mahogany and black Terrains are wide and sloppy, even on me who has fairly wide feet. The taupe and dark brown distressed leather (I don't remember the exact name of that color) are trimmer fitting. But, IMO, none of them hold their shape or color well. Mine always look like I wore them in the creek and left them in the sun to dry out, yet I've barely gotten them damp, ever. And the color bled right out of the taupe pairs I had. It's quite disappointing because the concept is good and even the fit (if you get the right color/style). Also, some of them have a strong and very permanent odor, like a tire store, coming from the synthetic parts.

I tried the Dublin shoe that resembles Terrains. They were stiff and felt like they'd always be uncomfortable around the cuff. No go.

KysaSD

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2017, 01:16:07 pm »

I wish I could try them on here.  I think I will order from someplace like zappos so I can return em easy if the fit is not right.  After I walk miles a day in them in NYC in March, I will review them for others.

ponymare

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2017, 01:41:52 pm »

I will be interested to see!  I'm still wearing a pair of lace up waterproof Ariats from 1998, but I do have other pairs as well. I'm sorry to hear their quality seems to have gone down. Except for Where I left them out on the porch and the lining got chewed a bit, they are still in good shape.  But that reddish brown color seems to attract the dust!

KysaSD

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2017, 02:14:15 pm »

Well, I went ahead and ordered a pair, I found the distressed brown with NO pink, and bought them quick!  I am just not a pink kind of gal.
I will review them after the trip to NYC.

KysaSD

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2017, 09:35:02 am »

Boots came today.  I had to remove the leather kiltie, and change the way they are laced. But they seem pretty comfortable.  Seem true to size.  I wear a 6.5 and ordered a 6.5.  Roomy toebox, but I can tighten it across the instep and keep my feet from sliding around in there.  I will wear them around the house for a few days and give a better review.  They do seem to have plenty of cushioning underneath, and that is what I will need for the cement of NYC.

Yeah....I took a photo and photobucket is not cooperating with my iPad.  Photo later today when I am at a computer.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up