Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Soaked hay pellets in winter  (Read 166 times)

abbypeaches

• A hunk of meat and two potatoes!
Soaked hay pellets in winter
« on: February 02, 2017, 03:54:43 pm »

So now my underweight 30 y.o. MFT gelding who is IR and Cushing's has worn down his teeth so much that he can't chew hay anymore. My vet told me to start feeding him wet Timothy pellets. It is below freezing much of the time now in Michigan. How in the heck can I keep his wet pellets from freezing? He eats slowly.
Marilyn
Marilyn and
  Midnight Rendezvous (Kate) 3 yo MFT  mare.

foxtrotter

• N.E. Ohio
Re: Soaked hay pellets in winter
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2017, 04:15:25 pm »

I use heated water buckets for my horses water.   I wonder if a smaller version would work for his pellets, maybe set on an automatic timer??
MJ

kckc

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2017, 04:48:19 pm »

oh gosh, a heated bucket is all I can think of....  can you do something else soaked also like I use Progressive Nutrition pellets and they absorb in a just a few minutes which means it's easier on me too... I use the Ultimate pellet they have also for topline and nutrients (they dont' absorb as well but I would probably take those into the house and grind them up if mine were toothless).   And fibre beet - now that's some good stuff that might be another feed source - you can actually soak it to soup or paste consistency which is nice. 
NC

slicksrmh

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2017, 05:05:10 pm »

I don't have suggestions about the freezing other than a heated bucket, but we have an older mare at the barn who has the same issue with her teeth. we started giving her soaked sentinel senior and Timothy pellets and in about 6 weeks she's gained some weight. She loves it too!
He knows when you're happy
He knows when you're comfortable
He knows when you're confident
And he always knows when you have carrots.
~Author Unknown

Opal

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2017, 04:30:18 am »

I've dealt with this before.  No fun way to fix it, but here's what I do:  After each feeding I take a bucket full of whatever I'm soaking (I personally LOVE beet pulp but have also used timothy or alfalfa pellets) into the house.  I use HOT water (not warm, HOT) and add that to the beet pulp/pellets in enough time for them to soak appropriately, and I keep the bucket in the kitchen next to a heat source (for me I just set it on top of the register in the kitchen right before I get in the shower in the morning, or at night I do it as soon as get home from work)  Once I'm heading out the door it should be cool enough for my horse to eat it and since it was done with hot water it will hold the heat enough time for the horse to eat it (within an hour or so). 

This only really sucks if I have forgotten to take a bucket inside the night before.. HATE running outside to get it then come back in to get a shower! lol

Best of luck with the old guy,

Opal

NoBite

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2017, 05:58:53 am »

I do something somewhat similar to Opal. I keep a bag of feed and a bag of beet pulp pellets in the house for the one horse that needs every meal soaked. The other feed is in the barn. Each morning before I go to the barn, I put a portion of beet pulp pellets in a bucket that is used only for this purpose and rinse the pellets. Then I add HOT water from the tap and set a 15 minute timer on my watch. I also have a small dish that has the ration balancer I use. It gets HOT water, too. I add the supplements this horse gets to the two containers. When the timer goes off, I combine the containers into the bucket and take it to the barn. It has cooled a bit, but is still very much warm enough not to freeze during the time it takes my older horse to consume it. I do this twice a day. It's a routine and I hardly notice it.
- Life is short. Ride your best horse.

John Maldaner, western Kentucky
Star KMSH, 1991-2017 R.I.P.     Legs, MFT, 1999-2018 R.I.P.    Bandit, TWH, 2005   Smokey, TWH, 2010

meely3

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2017, 06:00:50 am »

I would also suggest doing it with hot water inside and then taking it out for meals. I bring hot water from the house to melt the ice, and they don't mind drinking it piping hot right out of the bucket. It's going to depend on how cold it gets but I would think you will get a half hour in the barn even in very bitter cold. If it freezes before he eats it you might have to break it up into multiple feedings.

kckc

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2017, 06:28:36 am »

yeah, I sort of read it like once soaked how to keep them from freezing while he ate slowly?
NC

abbypeaches

• A hunk of meat and two potatoes!
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2017, 08:03:24 pm »

Update- my slow eater's mouth now feels lots better after my vet floated his teeth. So now he gobbles down his feed and wastes hardly anything. I got a heated bucket and that helps keep his hot mash of alfalfa pellets & timothy pellets,supplements & beet pulp above freezing. We are feeding him every 3-4 hours except at night. Maybe I should start feeding him more of the beet pulp at his last feeding to keep him satisfied overnight.

Hoping to see weight gain in six weeks.

Thanks all-
  Marilyn
Marilyn and
  Midnight Rendezvous (Kate) 3 yo MFT  mare.
Pages: [1]   Go Up