Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Menu ideas  (Read 343 times)

KysaSD

• Administrator
Menu ideas
« on: January 30, 2017, 07:56:08 am »

Not looking for the recipes themselves, but rather menu ideas.
Things you like to take to camp that are prepared mostly at home and then just warmed up at camp.  Easy things for a whole group.
I have some menus I regularly take, but want some ideas for something new.
Kysa, South Dakota, 2 Mountain Horses, a Curly Foxtrotter and a Mini, yes, I am crazy!

loneelk

• Life is a journey, enjoy the ride!
    • Lone Elk's Lodge
Re: Menu ideas
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2017, 01:57:49 pm »

Chili with cornbread or flour tortillas; beef stew; green chile stew.  Also I used to take something like a premade "spaghetti casserole" that I could heat up in a casserole dish in camper oven. 
Val & Gunner, hittin' the trails in southern NM
"Find a place inside where there's joy, and the joy will burn out the pain"--Joseph Campbell
www.bonanza.com/loneelk

oncidium

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2017, 04:36:57 pm »

What is your heat source? 

Number of people you will be feeding? 

Ages of people to be fed?

Number of days to be camping?

And your refrigerator source?

O

Yeah, I have ideas.  You just have no idea how many! 

Yeah, I am the one to take with camping or to the party.  Juuuuust need a bit of time to plot, plan, and scheme what to cook.  Rubbing hands together - I love to cook and feed people!

I always do my best proof reading after hitting send so could delete later due to shyness!  🤔

ClaudiaIN

• CQ Equine Gifts.Facebook.com/
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2017, 04:45:06 pm »

For a group, I usually buy the pulled pork or chicken from GFS., or SAMs. Then  put it n a crockpot
For just ourselves, anything that goes in the grill, chicken breasts, hamburgers.

Frozen chili, thawed out then heated in the microwave, or again use a crockpot.
Other things sometimes,  make a meatloaf at home and take to warm up.
Spaghetti and sauce is easy.
see my website @ www.CQEquine.com

And on Facebook.   Www.Facebook.com/CQEquine

NoBite

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2017, 05:51:03 am »

What is your heat source? 

Number of people you will be feeding? 

Ages of people to be fed?

Number of days to be camping?

And your refrigerator source?

O

Great questions! Let us know the answers, and ideas will be coming! We often prepare things at home and take to camp. A lot. But, our setup may not be similar to yours. Usually we are cooking for a very small group, too. If you have a crowd, that will be different. Is this a pot luck with you supplying the main dish? Need more information.
- Life is short. Ride your best horse.

John Maldaner, western Kentucky
Star KMSH, 1991-2017 R.I.P.     Legs, MFT, 1999-2018 R.I.P.    Bandit, TWH, 2005   Smokey, TWH, 2010

KysaSD

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2017, 07:12:56 am »

My two big campouts this summer....where I am main cook for a large group....will take place in the Black Hills.  First group is 9 adults, second group is 5 adults and 6 young girls ages 9-14.
We will have a dorm sized refrigerator in each cabin, so lots of fridge space.  But cooking will be either crockpots, or my two burner camp stove.  And not to mention that although I love to cook, I do want time to go on all the rides. 

Some of my previous staples have been chili, frozen and warmed in a crockpot, served with cornbread pancakes.  Also, the smoked brats from my little local meat market, warmed over a campfire.

This June, I am going to take a vegetable soup and a fish soup frozen and warmed, and served with French bread.  The June ride is a memorial to Kellie Rahm, and that menu will be reminiscent of the ride meeting the night before we took off riding in Iceland.

But I would still like some new ideas.

In both cases, we will be out there for 6 days.
Kysa, South Dakota, 2 Mountain Horses, a Curly Foxtrotter and a Mini, yes, I am crazy!

KysaSD

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2017, 10:39:15 am »

I would entertain a few more ideas.  I am about to meet up with Rita for a few days.  Crockpot and propane camp stove only.

NoBite

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2017, 07:19:47 pm »

We make Mississippi pot roast in a large crock pot. About a 5# roast. Pair that with roasted vegetables (asparagus, green beans, mushrooms, onions). Create alum foil pouches with two sheets of foil. Vegetables, garlic and olive oil. Seal the pouch and grill. Can't really overcook the pot roast. Enjoy a good ride! Veggies done in less than 30 min.
- Life is short. Ride your best horse.

John Maldaner, western Kentucky
Star KMSH, 1991-2017 R.I.P.     Legs, MFT, 1999-2018 R.I.P.    Bandit, TWH, 2005   Smokey, TWH, 2010

KysaSD

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2017, 07:47:23 pm »

Great minds think alike, John.  I just told Rita yesterday I would bring a beef roast and make it in the crockpot!
Pages: [1]   Go Up