Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tails full of ice balls  (Read 245 times)

gallatingal

Tails full of ice balls
« on: December 18, 2016, 08:30:17 am »

This morning it dropped 30 degrees from yesterday and all three horses have their tails full of muddy ice balls. It looks like a full beaded hair style, and they absolutely hate them. They are banging against their legs as they walk.  I thought about hauling buckets of hot water up to the barn and dunking them in. George suggested I take a hair dryer to them. It is suppose to get slightly above freezing tomorrow, so if I do nothing they are stuck with them for a few days. I guess if I do manage to dunk them or heat them out, I could then braid them?? would that even help?
Life is short, buy the pony!

Walkin45

Re: Tails full of ice balls
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2016, 10:30:58 am »

Momma and baby have them too, their tails drag the ground. 

kckc

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2016, 10:33:28 am »

sounds like fun !   :-)
NC

loneelk

• Life is a journey, enjoy the ride!
    • Lone Elk's Lodge
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2016, 11:33:55 am »

I second hair dryer, if daytime high isn't going to be warm enough to melt them.  And then braid or otherwise tie them up 'til worst of the storm has passed.
Val & Gunner, hittin' the trails in southern NM
"Find a place inside where there's joy, and the joy will burn out the pain"--Joseph Campbell
www.bonanza.com/loneelk

stablemind

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2016, 01:01:47 pm »

Since this is the typical weather scenario here in NW PA, I cut about 6" off the tails in November. The horses with white tails get their tails braided, folded and wrapped for the winter. (I unwrap and check them every few weeks, then rebraid and rewrap.) The others just have short enough tails that they don't drag through the mud. I also trim fetlock hairs before winter so they don't get ice balls.

gallatingal

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2016, 01:21:31 pm »

I guess I will have to start doing that here in the South.  >:(

Walkin45

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2016, 01:25:50 pm »

I used to keep my tails done up, changed and rewrapped once a week, til I saw several videos of horses getting tails caught on something and pulling their tails off, some to the point if euthizinung.

loneelk

• Life is a journey, enjoy the ride!
    • Lone Elk's Lodge
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2016, 01:35:39 pm »

ACK--saw a few of those--definitely have to be VERY aware of potential for catching wraps, and/or wrap in such a way that the wrap can and will come undone w/ very slightest pressure. 
Val & Gunner, hittin' the trails in southern NM
"Find a place inside where there's joy, and the joy will burn out the pain"--Joseph Campbell
www.bonanza.com/loneelk

Little Freckles

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2016, 02:25:52 pm »

I also trim Cheyenne's tail so it doesn't drag near the ground.  I have never tried a hair dryer on him-he usually knocks the ice off as he moves or if he stands in the sun, it melts on its own.  It was -1 this morning and the freezing rain we had last Friday has not melted and has accumulated a little snow last night.  I am actually amazed my mail box is still standing as folks round my curve at unnerving speed on solid ice... ::)
Susan, close to Springfield, IL

gallatingal

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2016, 02:34:41 pm »

we hauled warm water up and melted the mess then used a hairdryer on them before braiding, tying up and wrapping. Believe me it would come out if it got caught on something.   ;)
I would have ignored them except the whole mess was smacking them so hard on the legs when they walked they were goose stepping.

PAWalker

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2016, 02:50:25 pm »

we hauled warm water up and melted the mess then used a hairdryer on them before braiding, tying up and wrapping. Believe me it would come out if it got caught on something.   ;)
I would have ignored them except the whole mess was smacking them so hard on the legs when they walked they were goose stepping.

I left the OH/PA border to get away from those ice balls --- kindly keep them up your way :)

We had straight line winds and driving raiin much of the night.  Nothing started to freeze until around 7:00 AM.  What snow was coming down melted right away.

There wasn't enough ice to worry about so I let the horses out around 10:30 AM.  Rusty's tail drags the ground but I doubt there is enough ice to build up in his tail.  Joker's tail is off the ground by five or so inches.

FWIW, I squirted Absorbine  Hooflex Thrush medicine on their hooves.  It is an oil base so doesn't freeze.  I don't know how long it would hold up in a real snow and ice situation but it's something to think about, even if the horse doesn't have thrush :)

https://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=30e07335-7b6a-11d5-a192-00b0d0204ae5
Pages: [1]   Go Up