Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Keeping water liquid without electricity  (Read 276 times)

KysaSD

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Keeping water liquid without electricity
« on: November 30, 2016, 11:29:15 am »

Long story...but the short version is Barb gave me a mini, and she can get out of most of my horse fencing.  She is in my round pen, but it is too far from electricity for a heated electric bucket.  Next summer, I will build a place for her that is close enough to electricity.  But I do not have that now, and we are long past fence building season.  Right now, I carry hot water to her twice a day.  I have two 5 gallon flat sided buckets, one inside the other hoping I get a little insulation out of that.  Current overnight temps are only in the low 20s, and it has managed with just a bit of ice by morning.  But this will change. 

I welcome all sorts of ideas, as long as they take no electricity.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 08:18:01 pm by KysaSD »
Kysa, South Dakota, 2 Mountain Horses, and a Mini, yes, I am crazy!

slamduncan

• ACE my next project
    • View Profile
Re: Keeping water liquid without electricity
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2016, 12:52:30 pm »

Go to Amazon.com, search for Insulated Horse Buckets.  You will see buckets that go inside an insulated container.  We have used them and they work pretty well.  Not perfect but good enough for what I think you need.
Good luck
Judi and the Boys, Rhode Island

meely3

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2016, 12:57:07 pm »

There are plenty of things you can do, but I can't think of any that will work through the kind of cold you are likely to get. They do sell an insulated water bucket that might help during the day. It has a foam piece on top that the horse has to learn to push.  But I think it will still freeze solid on cold nights.  I would switch to warm water so she drinks it right away. There are still amish farms here that water the horses morning and night and they seem to do ok.

kckc

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2016, 01:36:35 pm »

How about one of those portable water heaters used for washing horses and such?  You'd hook up the water hose to it?  then it would sit empty til you used again? 

I went online... all below are what I for  ideas.   Some do not seem likely but might give you some ideas?

http://www.ranchtanks.com/

This was just described to me this morning by someone who used it in north Dakota where it gets seriously cold.
Dig a trench the size of the bottom of the water container, about 1 foot deep. In the middle of that trench dig an 8 foot (maybe it would work of not that deep?) deep large post hole with a large auger. Set the water tank in the trench over the hole. The heat from the earth will prevent freezing. Just make sure you secure the tub so it can't be moved by the horses to expose the hole.

You can also put a jolly ball in the tank - the idea that even if there is a layer of ice on top, they can push down on the Jolly Ball to get to water.

http://www.motherearthnews.com/diy/tools/solar-stock-tank-zmaz10onzraw

http://www.builditsolar.com/Projects/WaterHeating/SteveTank/SteveTank.htm

Someone on here once suggested a milk jug (with some water in it to weight it) for the same reason. I tried it with the goat's 15g water tub when we had our first sub-freezing night and it does seem to work.

I'm in New England so deal wioth the cold alot. We are in the same boat, no way to get electricity out to where the horses are so no way to add tank heaters.

Are horses are out during the day and come in at night. What we found works really well is an insulated cooler like you would use for a picnic and just remove the lid. Something like this one

http://www.igloo-store.com/detail/IGL+SPORTSMAN+52

We fill it in the morning and usually by the time we bring the horses in at night it will start to freeze across the top. We make sure it is placed in a spot where it gets sunlight and it really seems to work well to help keep the water from freezing as fast. We empty it at night and refill in the morning. If they are forcasting really cold temps for the day, I will bring a 5 gallon jerry can of hot water from home and add that first to warm the cooler up then add water from the hydrant. Adding the hot water first and warming the cooler up seems to really help delay the water freezing on those bitter cold days.

Also for the corner stalls where the water buckets always seem to freeze first, we use something like this

http://www.coleman.com/product/5-gal...tCategory=8510

NC

KysaSD

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2016, 01:56:18 pm »

Several of those ideas will work really great NEXT year, when I have the summer to dig and build.  But this year, I am stuck with above ground.
I do think I will look for one of the 5 day coolers and see if I can build something for it so Lola cannot tip it over.
Kysa, South Dakota, 2 Mountain Horses, and a Mini, yes, I am crazy!

meely3

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2016, 04:47:06 pm »

The jolly ball and milk jugs will not do anything with serious cold. I have heard that the hole works good, but you need to put a pipe in the hole so it doesn't fill back up with dirt, and yes, that probably has to wait until next year.

Walkin45

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2016, 07:29:39 pm »

Prolly when your snow gets deep,,she can go,out to regular pasture with waterer . Them maybe she will,learn to stay in?
Pages: [1]   Go Up