Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Life just outside the comfort zone  (Read 1392 times)

wakemom

Re: Life just outside the comfort zone
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2013, 04:35:43 pm »

Well holy cow just over a month and mission accomplished on our "tack less trail ride". I still can't think about it, without tears in my eyes. Part of it is the accomplishment that "we" did this, the other part is the realization that the relationship I have with Gabby can never be duplicated in another horse. If one is lucky, there will be that "once in a lifetime" horse, I truly believe that is what I have. I cherish every day I get as she still likes to give me scares, the last one a reaction to wormer...every day a blessing. Simple rides, doing seemingly simple things, led us to this.

photo 6d3d3a94-4127-4dd6-852a-8ad4b1ad8366_zpsd21ff6d2.jpg

Getting ready to ride. Gabby was watching a dust devil that kept swirling around the lot. She dragon purred a few times at it, but knowing that's just her voice, I didn't let it bother me. The preserve was literally empty on Monday...if nothing I know how to pick my moments of madness.  Setting oneself up for success, not failure.

photo ba607261-87e2-4c0f-a345-3a18e75dc57d_zps5954b1df.jpg

Ummm so I'm free to go? Yes, you are free to go...on down the trail like you have a bunch of times before.

photo 34dfc2ed-2268-4d32-93f8-07e6f7ac3d27_zpsf39dd8e1.jpg

Well, alright then. Let's go.

photo eca92b86-161a-41ed-9bbf-23ecc33e0208_zps1a6d1464.jpg

After we were all done...I sat in awe on the picnic bench talking to my Mom. Seriously in tears because of what we had done. I'm not a trainer...basically Gabby is an AOTT...LOL Amateur Owned and Trained Trailhorse...I am very proud of our accomplishments, more so because I know where we came from, the struggles we've had...for some, this may not be a big deal...but to me it's just another step outside the comfort zone that landed us in a place of "what do we do from here?"...I'm sure I'll think of something. :D

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10202260552219630&set=vb.1365351362&type=2&theater

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10202260900308332&set=vb.1365351362&type=2&theater

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10202261161794869&set=vb.1365351362&type=2&theater

Links to videos I made during our ride. I think we rode half of the 4 mile loop nekkid.

Cheryl~Gabby's Mom

wakemom

« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2013, 04:36:49 pm »

My video I made from our tack less trail ride. I've been told Gabby and I are an inspiration to others, that we made that look easy, and one friend's comment of " I don't think anyone else could have done that with that horse. They just get each other. Over this past year I've made friends with genuine women that I am so proud to ride along aside and am so grateful for the experience and friendship." really kinda hit me and got to thinking "oh wow, what have we done? What do we continue to do every day?" I almost thought I needed to add a disclaimer of "kids, don't try this at home, or unless you know you and your horse can handle it".

My friends know what I've been thru with Gabby, and I'm not just talking about nearly losing her last year. I bought a coming three year old in 2006  that had been standing in a stall virtually ignored because her former owner was an older, first time horse owner that was scared of her. She was unruly, she was virtually untrained, albeit a bit of time my now friend put on her around 2.5 years old. I'd never owned a youngster but I had to save her from that life. There were times I thought "wtheck have I done" especially because I was fresh off rotator cuff surgery the spring before...I still had limitations. I had a bit of hands on help for the first several months, if I got stuck, I asked my friend for help but then I moved boarding facilities and hands on help was not there. I thought ok now what? Read all you can, watch all you can, take the time it takes and make a trail horse. What I ended up with, is not just a trail horse, but a true partner and best friend. She's not everyone's cup o tea and would most likely take advantage of most people. I didn't set out to make a quiet la de da down the trail horse, I don't need that and honestly it would bore me. One of my friends once said..."I like what you've done with your horse, you've trained her, but left her personality in tact." Her personality is one of the things I and my friends love about her...she will keep everyone in line in her own no nonsense way. She's my go to girl for newbie horses needing trail experience...she has games she plays but we all just laugh about it and go on our way. The other day a friends youngster decided to take a cruise off the side of a small berm, Gabby looked at him and if she could have spoken I think she would have said "ok kid, what the heck did you do that for?" I know she would have rolled her eyes and shook her head if it were possible.

We will continue building on this ride from here. Where it will go, I don't really know yet...that's part of the fun for me tho...the challenge of seeing what we can do next.

http://vimeo.com/75732246
Cheryl~Gabby's Mom

wakemom

« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2014, 11:48:43 am »

I haven't been here much, check in from time to time to see what people have been up to, but I don't post much. Some new stuff, some old, some good and some great. On the great, Chloe found a family. For those who remember this tough lil qh, she has a family with 6 (yes! 6!!) kids. Oh my! They were looking for a horse or two last month and one of my friends was offering her mustang mare, and I said "what about Chloe too!" Well they came and looked, rode and took them both! Last I heard the little girls were riding her double in their motorcycle helmets. I'm so happy for them all. It was tough for the first week seeing her empty stall and not caring for her, but she needed her own "people", someone to call her own. Boy did she get that.  ;D
Gabby is happy and healthy and we are busy riding trails close to home and a couple times a month venture a bit further away to the river/beach/desert. A big change to come soon for us though...My parents are moving near me. I can't be any more excited for them. My Dad is retiring so they can finally move where ever they want, and they chose a nice (really nice) equestrian community only 10 minutes away from me. They will finally have their horses at home, and miles and miles of trails right out their gate. If all goes well, they should be here by the end of May. I can't wait to be able to ride with my Dad and Mom (health providing for Mom) and show them the trails around their community. I know the trails there as I've been mooching them for years, but now I have them and a "home base".  ;D Things will change, my time will be spread between home and their house, but I'm looking forward to having more family close by. They want Gabby to come live with them, and time will tell whether I take them up on that offer, but it would be a way to get her out of a boarding situation and control her environment even more. Her illness two years ago, forced me to make changes, and I have to be careful who I expose her too, keep her bubble tight...this would allow me to even tighten up more. Not to mention, control the fly issues which she tested allergic to last Fall. Lots of changes for the better and I am looking forward to what life with my parents and the horses will be....now to convince them to go gaited. That is a plan of mine, for them to have one gaited horse in their herd...we will see.
That's our life for now...not so much outside the comfort zone but still having a blast.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Cheryl~Gabby's Mom

wakemom

« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2015, 02:14:28 pm »

LOL Haven't been here in so long I got a warning notice before I posted. Where I have we been in almost the last year?? Still trail riding, still doing our usual nutty stuff. My parents are here and settled into their new home and my Brother is working on moving his family too. Their house is for sale so that's a start. I ruined my 9 year old niece and introduced her to horses. She's a motocross rider so it was no problem for her to have a good solid seat. We rode bareback and double in the hills last summer on Gabby. She went to hanging on to a fanny pack I had round my waist to not holding on at all. We gaited and even did a bit of cantering thru the trees. She's a natural and will be working up to riding my parent's qh gelding.

Strangest thing happened NYE day, we had snow, real bonified stick to the ground snow. It hung around nearly 10 days in the shaded trail areas at Mom and Dad's place, nearly 6 days in my back yard 15 mins away in the valley. There has not been any snow that stuck for over 65 years where we live. It was quite the adventure and if it hadn't brought so much damage to the area, my parents house and even my yard, it may have been more fun. As a property owner it wasn't so much.

Gabby still continues to do well health wise...actually the changes her illness brought about were for the better. She is probably the best she's ever been which has made me really realize I was slowly harming my horse by doing everything right. This horse has taught me more about horses than any others, more than a whole herd could have...I just had to take notice and learn from our experiences. Not a day goes by that I don't think back to our meeting, our journey and the things we've done, the almost loss and not thank God above and family/friends for helping me keep her with me. Our tack less trail ride journey article was published in the RMHA membership magazine. I was peer pressured into writing it last summer, had almost forgot about it til Laura told me it was laid out and ready for print. Reading it brought back so many memories, I can still cry over it. That very first ride was in Sept 2013, seems like so long ago. We've done it several times since and it's just become another way we can ride and almost like any other normal ride. What I didn't realize when I did it, how it would affect others, the pm's I got and comments made really surprised and humbled me. I now look at it a bit differently...We are not anyone special, just your every day average woman and horse...I'm not a trainer, I don't show, have never had a formal lesson...but what got us there was a lot of try, a ton of patience and common sense...something I think others can easily relate to. I am so very thankful to all the lessons this horse has taught me, I only hope we get many more years cuz I know I'm not done learning and she isn't either.  ;)

Cheryl~Gabby's Mom
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up