Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Icelandic Unicorn  (Read 817 times)

Iceangel

• View Profile
Icelandic Unicorn
« on: November 20, 2016, 08:15:27 am »

A few weeks back I lost my heart.  My Icelandic Lukka coliced and I had her put down.  She was 22 and I had her for 10+ years.  If a person could die from a broken heart I was close.  I am a disabled senior and thought Lukka would be my last horse.  Now the question is, maybe I should quit riding but it would be bad for me physically and mentally.  So I am on a search for that new partner for my last riding finale. The breeders say I am looking for a unicorn.  It has to be almost perfect like my Lukka. She took care of me, stood still for my mounting and dismounting and was spookless and brave on the trail.  Being disabled makes this search for another Icelandic quite a feat. I have many looking for me and will be patient.  If anyone knows of a horse that would work for me please contact me.  It can be between the ages of 10 and 18.  Mare or gelding. Many many trail miles! Thank you!

loneelk

• Life is a journey, enjoy the ride!
    • View Profile
    • Lone Elk's Lodge
Re: Icelandic Unicorn
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2016, 08:28:04 am »

I am SO sorry for your loss.  I remember all too well my own experience when I made the hard decision to have my sweet Smokey put down--even tho he'd been retired from riding for 2 years by then.  I really wish you well on your search.  It is VERY difficult to find a replacement for a horse like Lukka. 
Sending healing thoughts and prayers for your broken heart.
Val & Gunner, hittin' the trails in southern NM
"Find a place inside where there's joy, and the joy will burn out the pain"--Joseph Campbell
www.bonanza.com/loneelk

kckc

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2016, 07:16:34 am »

Oh I'm so so sorry !   I just saw an Icelandic for sale online - I will have to try to find that ad...   Again, oh my gosh, so sorry
NC

KysaSD

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2016, 08:21:57 am »

Pam,
I would urge you to consider other horse breeds, mostly because there are not a lot of Icelandics to choose from.  Although Molly would never ever be for sale, she would be a horse that would work for you.  She is a stocky 13.2 hand mountain horse.  Big enough to carry an adult, but short enough to make mounting easier.  Rock solid and takes care of the rider.

And it goes without saying, you will absolutely have to meet any potential horse in person. 

If there is anything local to me, I will let you know.  You could visit, stay with me, and check out a horse.  Unlikely that a good Gaited short horse would be here, but you never know...
Kysa, South Dakota, 2 Mountain Horses, and a Mini, yes, I am crazy!

LadyAndMinerva

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2016, 10:59:48 am »

I am so sorry for your loss.  I hope you find your unicorn!
Easing my way into easy gaits one day at a time.

kckc

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2016, 11:29:16 am »

this might be the Icelandic I saw even though I was looking at gelding ads... as I recall there are several advertised there. 

http://www.horseclicks.com/-just-reduced-cute-icelandic-mare/horses/924525
NC

ponymare

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2016, 12:56:29 pm »

Good luck in your search. So sorry to hear about Lukka.  :'(

fargos handmaiden

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2016, 05:11:01 pm »

Oh, I am so sorry. But no, don't quit but e pect thenew horse to have a somewhat different relationship/connection to you. Unfair to the horse to expect him to fill shoes left behind perfectly. You Re living my impending dread. Fargo 23-24 and not the same he used to be, I am so scaded
 But I bought a younger replacement to turn my attention to when the inevitable happens.  I wish you great success and healing in your new search.

misstux

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2016, 08:38:25 pm »

I am so very sorry about Lukka.

Iceangel

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2016, 07:10:27 am »

Thanks all.  If a person could die from a broken heart I was close. Kysa, I thought about looking for a different breed but I just love the Icelandics. I just have to be patient. I have many contacts in the Icelandic world who are looking for me. They have heard my story and want to help find me that special horse.

Kalli

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2016, 06:51:05 pm »

So sorry to hear of your loss of Lukka.  I understand your heart is broken and while time will help soften the blow, no horse will ever replace her.

I'm going to keep positive thoughts that you will find another trail partner who will match your needs.  You never know what might come up and with contacts helping in your search, I hope that that very special riding partner is out there right now, just waiting for you to bring him/her home.

Iceangel

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2016, 07:34:54 am »

Thanks Kalli!

Pamela N.

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2016, 11:07:52 pm »

So, so sorry to hear about your Lukka.  Please take care.
Pamela N.

kckc

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2016, 11:46:04 pm »

Angela Lumpkin Nichols
Gaited horses, mules, tack, and other misc. items for sale 
facebook

6yo Icelandic gelding
$2,000
Penhook, VA (24137)
6yo lcelanic 13.2H gelding he has been trail ridden by kids and also used as a lesson horse and birthday party's 4 kids he has a nice gait but a little on the lazy side. He wld make a kid a good horse that u need to follow another horse. If u need more info you can pm me. Located in Penhook Va
NC

Iceangel

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2016, 06:42:40 am »

I wonder what the email is.  I can look it up using the FB name.  Thanks
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up