Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What kind of bedding do you like?  (Read 531 times)

meely3

What kind of bedding do you like?
« on: September 03, 2016, 04:11:05 am »

Right now I'm using the wood pellets. I don't need to use much of them, but they are so dusty. Because I'm on a small lot I need something that doesn't make a big manure pile and breaks down into compost quickly. But I also would like less dust. And it needs to be available in PA. I looked into the flax bedding but I have to buy a tractor trailer load and I don't know anyone who uses it.

oncidium

Re: What kind of bedding do you like?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2016, 04:20:58 am »

I do not do any shavings at all.  I have rubber mats, and sweep or blow them off.  Any poop in the run or horse trailer, I gather and take to a very very far away tree and dump.  This keeps the flies down alot.  It composts fast with just the poop.

I do have some bagged shavings I got from TSC.  They are the flaked ones.  My gal pal who has a stall bound aged mare, who went blind a couple months ago has been using the ones from TSC the pellets which you add water to them and they poof.  I think the dust from the 2 I mentioned are less.  Saw dust is dusty, shavings less so.

I have cleaned many many many a stalls in my time, which is why I set my stalls with runs and have rubber mats only.  I adopted this method from somebody's barn I went to, and loved the concept.  I know it is not always practical for everybody to do as I do.

I did see in somebody's barn recently where they fed their round bales in the corner of a barn on rubber mats, it was contained by a metal ring, or a partial one.  Also I think the ring was pvc of some sort.  2 doors nearby and the bale in the V of the corner.  It was very neat.  If I fed round bales I would go that way.

O

PAWalker

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2016, 05:41:18 am »

I think the brand of shavings or pellets plays a huge role in the amount of dust.

I stopped using TSC shavings, shortly after hurricane Katrina struck (11 years ago).

The shavings were dusty, they stunk to High Heaven, and we were finding pieces of painted wood, computer paper, and other stuff in the shavings.  Kenny's theory was things were going thru a chopper during the cleanup period and that stuff was being sold and bagged as horse shavings.

As soon as I stripped the stalls and put the Calloway shavings down, both my elders hock sores healed and never came back.

Calloway shavings are my favorite but alas, the local feed store stopped selling them for something cheaper and finer.  I now buy Cox pine shavings from the Co-Op.  They come out of KY, I don't know how big their distribution circle is.

You could try buying a different (and higher quality) brand of pellets or shavings to see if that alleviates the dust.

FWIW, I also won't buy shavings that aren't kiln dried as I can't be sure of what trees ended up in those bags;  not kiln dried also equals moisture and bugs.  I have enough of both where I live, without bringing more into the barn.

My stalls are filled with limestone crush, mats on top, then a few inches of shavings.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2016, 05:43:39 am by PAWalker »

meely3

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2016, 06:51:29 am »

I have done rubber mats only in run-in sheds, Ondidium, but don't you get pee puddles in the stalls? I did think about just switching brands but I didn't think it would make a difference. I bought a pallet of TSC pellets, but my local feed store sells a different brand. It's 1.50 a bag more but I might try it and see. I have rubber mats in my stalls now, but they are over cement so I like a little extra cushion.

kckc

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2016, 07:55:28 am »

Aren't  your mats slippery when wet without some sort of bedding?     Mine are outside so I don't use stall bedding, when I did it was sawdust and it wasn't ideal... if a horse wouldn't eat the straw that's an option - personally I hate to try to clean a straw bedded stall.   I had heard of shredded paper (newspaper) but found these alternatives when I looked online... thought you'd enjoy a couple of these.   http://equinefacilitydesign.com/misc/earth-friendly-horse-bedding-alternatives.htm
NC

oncidium

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2016, 09:03:47 am »

No.  No pee EVER!  Unless you were my pig messy arab gelding I had.  If there was one drop of rain, all business was kept inside.  No other horse have I had did that.  There is an occasional very rare poop pile, but hey beats having to do the shavings run, stall cleaning, and pee. 

I have runs off my stalls.  All business goes in those runs.  I started to keep a water trough waaaay down at the end, and they on the way to or fro would do stuff out there instead of in the stalls.  This is a great money saver, and hassle saver to do so.  If they stay in over night, they sleep right on the mats.  Bug free, dry.  If I have to lock somebody in the stall I close the outer stall door or leave open and place a water trough on the outside.  That way they can look out.  Those huge 100 gallon water troughs are not one to be jumped or forged across.  ;)

I have fans in the stalls and they like to be in the stall being a princess.  No shavings, not many if any flies.  I keep my rm up mostly during the day so she isn't eating the sugary morning, mid day grass. 

Mats are never slippery.  Yes, they can have some moisture, but there is no cow penning, reining, dressage, etc going on in the stalls.  The mats are not slick in general.  Also as they get more walked on, dirt and other abrasive stuff gets on them, they get a rough texture.  My mats are over sand and clay, and they do not move, nor do they curl up.  They are an investment.  When we finally sell our house, they go with us. 

Once again, I have cleaned MANY stalls.  Tired of it.  So saw a friend set up like this, and we did this ever since.  Like, since 1990. 

I have power washed the inside of the stalls, and have had my QH at the time stay in while I did it.  Mats got super wet, no slipping.  These are not like concrete. 

O

My horse's feet are as swift as rolling thunder
He carries me away from all my fears
And when the world threatens to fall asunder
His mane is there to wipe away my tears.
~Bonnie Lewis

Riderkat

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2016, 11:30:20 am »

I use TSC big flake shavings, never had any quality issues or excess dust.

NoBite

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2016, 08:55:11 pm »

No.  No pee EVER!  Unless you were my pig messy arab gelding I had.  If there was one drop of rain, all business was kept inside.  No other horse have I had did that.  There is an occasional very rare poop pile, but hey beats having to do the shavings run, stall cleaning, and pee. 

I have runs off my stalls.  All business goes in those runs.  I started to keep a water trough waaaay down at the end, and they on the way to or fro would do stuff out there instead of in the stalls.  This is a great money saver, and hassle saver to do so.  If they stay in over night, they sleep right on the mats.  Bug free, dry.  If I have to lock somebody in the stall I close the outer stall door or leave open and place a water trough on the outside.  That way they can look out.  Those huge 100 gallon water troughs are not one to be jumped or forged across.  ;)

I have fans in the stalls and they like to be in the stall being a princess.  No shavings, not many if any flies.  I keep my rm up mostly during the day so she isn't eating the sugary morning, mid day grass. 

Mats are never slippery.  Yes, they can have some moisture, but there is no cow penning, reining, dressage, etc going on in the stalls.  The mats are not slick in general.  Also as they get more walked on, dirt and other abrasive stuff gets on them, they get a rough texture.  My mats are over sand and clay, and they do not move, nor do they curl up.  They are an investment.  When we finally sell our house, they go with us. 

Once again, I have cleaned MANY stalls.  Tired of it.  So saw a friend set up like this, and we did this ever since.  Like, since 1990. 

This is exactly what we do and why. I have one horse that will poop in a stall if he stays there to avoid flies for an extended time. Otherwise, it's a dream. We don't stall our horses for long periods of time.

When we go to camp. We use pelleted bedding from TSC. Love it.
- Life is short. Ride your best horse.

John Maldaner, western Kentucky
Legs, MFT, 1999   Bandit, TWH, 2005   Smokey, TWH, 2010

Laurie

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2016, 08:27:37 am »

I have rubber mats over concrete in the stalls and do not use bedding.  I only let them in to eat and then turn them back out to the pasture.  No pee ever (unless I forget and leave them in too long :-\) and only the occasional poop pile.   I don't like cleaning stalls so I don't let them hang out in there.  I have a bag or two of shavings from TSC I keep in case I have to keep one stalled up.  Howver, that has not happened in years, knock on wood.

melissah

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2016, 02:17:30 pm »

None. Horses are not in stalls but outdoor 3 sided shelter with 24x12 paddocks. Just the natural sand in the yard. If we even tried any bedding it would be in the neighbors yard pretty quick with out winds.
Melissa, Southern California.....hitting the trails with Jex my Tennessee Walking Horse...soon.

luvmysmh

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2016, 02:18:37 pm »

my barn has rubber mats over dirt floors.  I bought some of those pellets from our local feed store.  Can't think of the name right now - EZ something I think???  Anyway you just add water and they fluff up nicely.  I LOVE it.  So easy to clean!  They are kind of expensive I guess, so if you have multiple horses or horses that are in all the time it could be cost prohibitive.  My horse is outside most of the time.  The stall is really just for me to bring him in if the weather is really bad.  He hasn't been in much since I've been at this barn - just a couple of times when a lightning storm was threatening.  I suspect I'll have him in more in the winter.

foxtrotter

• N.E. Ohio
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2016, 05:09:11 pm »

We have rubber mats.  Some of the horses are in a free stall situation, so can come and go as they please.  Those are my husbands horses, he prefers to use straw.  They do come in and use the stalls for potty breaks...ugh.
   My horses are mostly stalled, and I prefer to use shavings, McPheeters fine shavings.   I do not like the ones from TSC.    Shiloh seems to have a 2 hour outdoor limit, then she wants in.   We don't turn all 6 horses out together, cuz my husband's gelding will bully my mare and gelding.
   Our mats are slippery when wet, I've nearly done the splits on them.   Our horses will pee and poop on them even if they aren't bedded. 
MJ

Little Freckles

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2016, 11:27:25 pm »

another thick rubber mats over a dirt floor here.  I use Guardian brand pellets or their "swift pick" shavings only if Cheyenne has to stay inside.  He has an open barn, but really does not spend much time indoors.  His stall floor is bare otherwise and I think that encourages him to do his business outside.
Susan, close to Springfield, IL

Pasolady

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2016, 06:16:43 am »

I have mats on dirt floors with gravel and no shavings during late spring through late fall.  The feed mill sells the really small shavings that is almost sawdust in texture so I get that for the winter when I think they may have to be in during bad weather, but with only the two, they share the barn pretty much so don't have to use the stalls that much.  Plus I like the thought that they have someplace warm and dry to lay during the cold, nasty parts of winter which Ace seems to do.  Have gone down many mornings on a cold winter day and find him laying in his stall on the shavings. 

MyBoyG

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2016, 05:34:10 pm »

Where we board, G has mats with pelleted bedding.  It's quite dusty if its not kept moist, but since G's stall door is never closed and he can come and go, I don't worry about it much.  Plus summer his three windows are also open.  One thing I have noticed.  Last year when it was really cold I added a bag of pine shavings on top of the pellets and every morning G's mane was filled with shavings.  He really likes the extra cushioning. 

Horsemanship, the wonderful never ending journey of learning!   Every job is a self-portrait of the person who does it.  Autograph your work with excellence.
Pages: [1]   Go Up