Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Winds of Change.................  (Read 8109 times)

melissah

Re: Winds of Change.................
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2014, 09:39:12 pm »

Amazing amazing amazing! That's how David's lesson was! On the way home from the lesson David looks at me while driving and says to me, " I am so glad you talked me into this."

DUH!  I had taken lessons from Darla before and I knew how GREAT she was. I knew what the results would be. All the confidence my husband had lost in the last few weeks were gained back in that hour with Darla. I recorded it with the camcorder and the point and shoot because I knew I wanted some of it on youtube to share with you all. I knew even the little bit I got would be a great lesson for those who watched as well. I told Darla I wanted to come every week for as long as it took. And the great thing is all the great info I would take back for my sweet Mercy.

I am in the process of uploading to youtube now. WOW An hour it says but it will be well worth it. I can't wait to ride tomorrow and my husband is in love with his horse again. They were both so good together today. Calm horse and rider. I am on cloud 9 for him! Can't wait for the next lesson. Either can't he!
Melissa, Southern California.....hitting the trails with Jex my Tennessee Walking Horse...soon.

melissah

« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2014, 10:34:39 am »

Today our realtor comes out to take pictures of our home. I don't think we ever worked so hard the last 4 days. Went to Lowe's over the weekend and bought color flowers to plant. I'll tell you this, I have great respect for those who love gardening. I don't. Hannah found it relaxing. I'd rather be reading a book or riding. But they sure do look pretty now and I do enjoy watching how they react to the sun. They get so perky. I guess that's the reward for myself. Life blooms.

We just want our horses at home. A nice new property came up yesterday. STOP LOOKING! Haha. Love finding those smaller homes on 1 acre with all the corrals and arena already in place. That's a savings in itself rather than having to go out and buy new corral, shedrows etc. I decided to look in the area we live now. STOP LOOKING! You can get A LOT of horse property here for cheap but our hearts are in Acton. That was the one place we have always felt was home. When you first move into a new home it takes some time to make it feel like yours. But when we moved to Acton in 2004 we had only been there for 2 days but it felt like home. And every time we drove from the city to where we live now we had to drive through Acton. I would actually get homesick. We've come full circle. I told David even if we never had horses I'd still want to live there. I guess I never really was a city girl.

Here are pictures of our home. And our attempts at gardening. haha Hate what winter does to our lawn but that comes back real nice in spring. One of the perks is we are on a Cul-de-sac and all the families on our street have been here 15 years and longer. very close knit. Hopefully offers start coming in when it gets listed.

Melissa, Southern California.....hitting the trails with Jex my Tennessee Walking Horse...soon.

melissah

« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2014, 04:39:24 pm »

ugh....this torrential rain is killing my house on the market! Gotta love California. Have a drought for 2 years then today it decides to make up for all the lack of rain by pouring a zillion inches in a few hours. Had 3 showing that were scheduled and no show as of yet. Still got 20 minutes before 3 PM here. Two agents were suppose to show between 3-4. ugh

melissah

« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2014, 07:41:15 am »

We accepted a good solid offer. Now to present ours to the seller of the house we love. Fingers crossed.

melissah

« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2014, 04:46:30 pm »

We have a 3 week escrow! Woo hoo!  We will be moving into our new home at the end of March.

As soon as we get the funds we will also be ordering all of our horse corrals, shaders etc. Then the three of us will be putting them up ourselves.

GOOD! Because my Mercy is turning feral! hahaha. She was a horse that was ridden every single day before I bought her. She was in some heavy duty training. Now she has been a pasture puff while we are going through bad weather and the whole selling our house etc. Can't wait to get out and ride this weekend. See how she does. Once we have them at home they will be ridden almost 7 days a week or as life allows. David and I do enjoy date night once a week so no Friday nights....fine....6 days a week.

So excited! Horses at home, country city living....isn't that a oxymoron? lol. The house is all business in the front and party in the back! Like a Mullet!

melissah

« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2014, 08:25:43 am »

DUH DUH DUH!

So...I have that side pull I rode Amante in. I LOVE LOVE that side pull. Love the colors...love that it's biothane. Love the reins etc etc. When I bought it, it came with these clippy things. Had no idea what they were. DOH! Well the other night at 2 am....because you know that's the time many of us have those "light bulb" moments, it came to me! Those clippy things were BIT HANGERS! Well, I've lost them. I had tried to ride Mercy in the side pull but she is just not ready for that and I went back to a snaffle. But now I CAN ride her in it so I called Lisa over at Moss Rock Endurance and ordered a set of bit hangers. Can't wait for them to come.

It's been pretty darn hectic around here! Yesterday I booked a moving company. In all the times we moved we done it ourselves. This time we decided to spend the money and have professional movers move us. We packed all our own stuff, they just have to load, unload and set up.

Also today I'm getting quoted for corral set up etc. If installation is not bad, we decided to have it done by the company rather than us do it. Same reason David doesn't fix his own cars anymore.....time. And paying someone $150.00 to do brakes is easier than him spending hours trying to do it himself.

Here is my silly girl in my favorite side pull/bridle! I ordered wine colored bit hangers.

melissah

« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2014, 11:11:40 am »

**sigh** Think it's normal to not run into issues during escrow. Kind of knew we would. But it's a win win situation, but we get delayed a week or so.

We have an installment agreement with the IRS. Back in 2008 when we put our home on the market, the plan was to take the money we make and pay our debt and buy another home. Well, the housing market crashed and we ended up losing our home. We even tried to short sell it but could not. Looking back, we had a horrible agent.

So now that we are selling this home...IRS Lien popped up. We will have enough money to pay them off and buy the house. Thank God the sellers are paying closing cost! All this came up Friday at 4:30 but luckily the title company was able to get the IRS on the phone. I guess everything has got to go by the book so it will take the IRS 5 days to send what they need. I emailed the escrow officer and told her to use the proceeds to pay them off. I hope it's that easy. We just want to move on.

Our horses want to come home. The good thing is we will lose those $800.00 a month payments and interest. All we want is to be happy. Getting there!  :)

melissah

« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2014, 12:03:08 pm »

We close escrow for this house on Thursday. Our house we are buying closes on Thursday of next week. Everybody is okay with buyers/sellers staying in the houses until the 4th. That's when we get our keys! This means in the next two days will be ordering corral panels/shelters to be delivered on Tuesday April 8.....we will start setting up and have horses home by the 19th.....that's what I am shooting for! Yippey!

melissah

« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2014, 04:21:43 pm »

Had the grade guy out today with his Bobcat. Getting ready for the horse corral set up. One thing I was very happy about was how soft the dirt is out there. A bit sandy so fiber is a must. But much better than where we lived last time we had horses. That was mostly granite. Tomorrow the panels come.

This is what it looks like now.

melissah

« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2014, 04:54:06 pm »

Got the corral panels today! Also got the Digalert guys in and out today. Makes sure we will not be augering into something like gas lines etc. Real lucky David was still home when they delivered this morning. Guy pulls up with his truck and trailer and says to my husband, "Got a pair of gloves?" No one told me we have to have someone to help unload. So here we are....closer. Panels and shelters waiting............

melissah

« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2014, 07:37:18 am »

We were feeling quite industrious last night after work. First we were only going to lie the panels on the ground where we would later put them together but we were all excited and put them up. Then went to Lowe's to buy 10 poles to add to the corrals and cement in. The hard part will be putting the shelters up. Getting closer! We all were so excited. Another late night but well worth it. 3 12x24 pipe corrals. Figure the only time they will be in here is feeding time. Otherwise they will have free roam of the 1/2 acre out there. And yes, in CA....law is 5 horses per acre. West coast is so different, CA specifically.

melissah

« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2014, 11:42:00 am »

It's so different this time...............

In 2004, I brought home my very first horse. But things were so different back then. I was a new owner, had no experience, knew absolutely nothing. Green as a pine tree. I didn't even know how to halter a horse. Due to my increasing fears....I didn't enjoy that period of my life. God knows I loved that horse to death. Remember Dubie? But fear ate away at me. I started out strong, trailering away from home but for some reason as time went on I became more timid. This was NOT the horse life I had wanted.  Wow, did I have a lot to learn. Plus we lost that home to a foreclosure in 2008. No more horse property. No more dream. My dream had ended.

Fast forward 10 years.....Things are much different. I'm no longer that scared, fearful rider. I know so much more but as you all know, horse living means constantly learning. I don't care if you been riding 5 years or 105 years, you are always learning. Welcome to riding 101. The class you never graduate. The diploma you will never receive. But fear not, don't worry. As riders we love to learn. We love the challenge. Our connection to our horse, horses are magical. I think they are the reasons we become the riders we are. They teach us what we need to learn. They take care of us like little angels that know someday they will no longer be with us but they know in their hearts we must move on and up without them. Amante knew that. And I cry every time I remember Hannah whispering in Amante's ear as he lie on the ground, his spirit soaring towards the Rainbow Bridge, "Take care of my Mom  on her next horse."

So I open my arms to the wonderful blessings. I thank God for them. A husband who wants to embrace the horse lifestyle. The daughter I have grown so close to the last 10 years because of these wonderful creatures. All the friends I have made on this forum and a couple of others who have embraced me for who I am and have helped along the way.

And now I have Mercy to be my partner in this next chapter of my life. My little sweet mare who I will be bringing home tomorrow. My dream is once again alive. And I can tackle it full throttle without the fears that once devoured me. A different path but one I look forward to taking. What an abundant life. I truly feel blessed. And now to give back any way that I can.

melissah

« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2014, 08:59:19 am »

Wow, what a day Saturday. The pipe corral was already up but we had to add the shelters. Luckily David asked Hannah's boyfriend to come over to help. Thank God because we could not done it without him. We started at 10:00 am and finished at 5 pm. Didn't bring the horses home but will today. Here they are. Ready to be lived in!

melissah

« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2014, 12:00:37 pm »

Well, we are moved in. Horse corrals up. But horse life is getting a slow start. With all the moving, selling, buying....we just did not have time to do much with the horses.

Late last year David's instructor's horse had a freak accident. Awful tragedy. Then several weeks ago her Father had a heart attack and passed away. She was on the way to his funereal with her Mother and Aunt when they got into a horrific accident. Her Mother passes away at the hospital that day.  Very sad. Losing both parents within a week. Her and her sister have been each others rock. She has taken time off but will get back to work after May 3....her Mothers funereal. Her training/instruction is her main job plus I think she will need to keep busy.

I am going stir crazy not riding. I am not one to saddle up and ride in the turn out. I want to get out. I want to get Mercy out. But I did have a talk with David this weekend and I want to set up a obstacle course. He will build whatever I want....tires, a bridge.....poles with strips of things hanging (think car wash). So I am surfing the web for pictures to print and give to him. There is an all gaited breed show coming up in November and I told him I wanted to think about going. He said I have not even ridden my horse barely. DUH! I told him I needed to start. I am not riding because he is not ready to go out on the trail yet. He needs lots of lessons. And Hannah is not ready....but he did say he would take his bike with us if I wanted to ride Mercy! Oh yeah! I was thinking of calling my friend Robin and telling her I am coming up one Saturday to ride with her. But at least the obstacle course will be fun. I love a bit of a challenge.

I also told him next time we go to his lesson I am hauling Mercy to putt around on while he is at his lesson. I just want to ride. It's tough going from riding all the time to zero! I miss being on top of a horse.

He says I barely ride when I do.....well yeah....turn out riding is up there with arena riding. Give me some challenge......

Can't wait to get the horse lessons going again.

To be continued.........................

melissah

Things going on.................
« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2014, 11:33:35 am »

So here at the Ranch, things have been going on behind the scenes. Have not really talked too much about it. A few know...Saturday, my husband's horse Storm leaves for 30 days training.  David was so impressed with Mercy and her training I talked him into taking him out to her. Mostly for an evaluation, see what he knows, what he don't know.....fix any holes in his training. The place is 4 hours away hauling the trailer or 3 hours by car. She is a well known gaited trainer/instructor and been doing it for over 30 years. So lessons are a must by her while Storm is there. We decided to drive out Saturday mornings and stay overnight in a Motel so we can do lessons both days. When he returns David will continue taking lessons weekly with my instructor Darla. And Hope the trainer even told us to bring Hannah and Reggie along so Hannah can jump on Reggie and gain some confidence by putting along and riding in the arena and around the obstacles. Hope said sometimes all it takes is just knowing the horse is going to be quiet in a new surrounding to gain a little confidence. Reggie is a young horse with an old soul and he loves Hannah like crazy. We are excited about this new adventure. And Hope will tell it like it is. I did find Storms previous owner and got more information. I guess he was shown a lot in the racking class. And most likely may have been padded but Hope says she will be able to tell if he had been in the past. She seen David in a few videos and thinks not bad at all for a beginner. We will get there. Isn't this horse life a learning experience after all? So here goes Chapter 2.............WooHoo!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Up