Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Winds of Change.................  (Read 7724 times)

melissah

• View Profile
Winds of Change.................
« on: January 01, 2014, 08:00:39 pm »

It would only seem befitting to start my journal on January 1rst 2014. This is the first day of the rest of my life.

Winds of change. Yes, there has been so much change in 2013. Sometimes life throws the unexpected at you. You have to ask if it’s a good thing. Yes, I think it is. What’s that infamous saying? Make plans, God laughs. And it’s a hearty giggle I am hearing just about now. But that’s okay. I am ready to take on anything. If I survived 2013….well then I can survive anything.
 Winds of change.

There is so much on my plate right now. It’s a miracle I can function. 2013 has been hard but at the same time it has taught me a lot. I feel blessed is all I can Say. I have a wonderful husband and a beautiful daughter. Winds of change.

So…you are probably wondering what changed me. What was it about 2013 that made it so difficult for me.   What was it in 2013 that made me who I am today.  Well, let me tell you. Let me tell you without conviction. Without Prejudice. Let me write these words without judging. Winds of change.

Many of you have seen my fight. Many of you have seen my struggle. My love of horses.  I was not one to give up and when I thought I had, I had not. Winds of change.

Mental illness. Yes, you read right. This dark cloud followed me. It haunted me. It latched onto me. It made life hard but it also made me patient. It scared me. It made me cry. It made me look up at the heavens and ask God what plan did he have for me?  I knew whatever life God had planned was not in vain. How could I question God? I knew there was a reason for everything. I knew he would never give me more than I could handle. But I was only human and I shouted at God. I wanted answers. How dare he throw me in this winds of change.  But God always know…..God listens. I am blessed.

Well, without getting too deep…without getting too much into the depths of hell….I shall share the change, the despair…..the path God opened for me. Who are these people who came into my life? Why did they? God had a plan. As much as I wanted to ignore God and his plan I could not. For 48 years God has been with me. I have followed him through all he has given me. Through Catholicism, Pagan….Wiccan….Christianity,  Science… God has been there. I never denied him. I welcomed him and because of this….he has been by my side. He told me he will always be here for us. For me. I welcome him. I need him. Winds of change.  God is real. God is with us, Never doubt it.

So here I am now. Winds of Change. In March David started medication. What I had been trying to do for years he now accepted as fact. Yes, after 23 years my husband had accepted the truth. He sought help. He needed help. Without help he would lose his family. Bi-polar, what a diagnoses. But I knew. Winds of change.

So fast forward. I don’t want to give too much away. Today is the first day of the rest of my life. I could not ask for more. God has blessed me. Enough said. Winds of change.

But this does not make life any easier. After a long discussion with my vet of 8 years…I have come to a decision. My sweet boy who has walked through fire for me must be put to rest. My heart aches. But his pain is too much. Such a stoic, noble creature. Those huge brown eyes have lost their lust for life, each step is numbing pain. Each step is only a reminder of the beautiful creature who took care of me. But who am I to not offer him respite. He has done all he can for me. He has taught me. He proved to me there was no animal out there as noble as himself. When I look into his eye I see a love that only he could show me. A partnership that went beyond human and horse. It was spiritual. Winds of Change.

Tomorrow, January 2….my Amante will finally play, without pain, with Amber and Max. He loved those two. And now they shall finally meet them at the Rainbow Bridge. Together they will run galloping, pain free, into the sunset. They will frolic in the shimmering light with no one to stop them. They have an eternity. Their souls will shine. They will be teachers for those about to be born into this world. They will teach them love and kindness. They will give them lessons of the humans. They will tell them of us and our love. No bond ever stronger than a man/woman and their noble steed. Wings of change. Be blessed and run my sweet mount. You will be loved forever.

Life starts now. So much behind the scenes...............I have been blessed with family and other noble mounts waiting.......waiting for me to give my mount rest, Winds of change.
Melissa, Southern California.....hitting the trails with Jex my Tennessee Walking Horse...soon.

melissah

• View Profile
A tribute befitting a true friend and mount.
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2014, 08:02:22 pm »

It truly was a surreal day. Funny how something that tears your heart and soul apart can leave you numb, feeling nothing. Maybe I'd cried enough tears. Nope.....Walking through the market, tears still well up in the corners of my eyes. How many people thought I had lost a relative to death or struggled through a breakup? Nope....I can't explain the deep sadness and heartbreak you feel for the loss of your equine best friend. I'm sure many of you know. I stayed with him from beginning....until the end when he was taken away. He had been with me for these 5 years so there was no way I would not stand next to him in his final moments and beyond.

Amante was heaven sent. I was ready to quit horses all together when a 17 year old stallion walked into my life. Here's some of my best memories of our 5 years.

The first day I met him, as a stallion. I rode him for all of 5 minutes. I was scared to even be on him. But something told me he was special and to shove him in my trailer and take him home.

Sherry and I with Amante. She knew. What a blessing.

2 weeks later........Amante the stallion became Amante the gelding. And good timing because my vet said he had precancer cells on his man parts.

My beautiful boy shortly after his gelding.

I rarely rode him because of my weight..............for 2 years I rode him maybe 3 times but he was loved on and taken care of.

Mothers day............the last ride I had on him for about a year......

But we hung out

I finally started to ride..........in the roundpen.....

Oh what doll he was......

I started riding more...gaining confidence...in the arena

Then I started venturing out..............

He was my buddy!!!

He brought my daughter and I closer.......

I met so many new faces and trailered everywhere

I trusted him to take me to places even I feared......my friend said "don't look down" when we were on the edge...I could not resist

still, we went every where

But what he did the best was show my husband that he took care of me. Amante opened David's eyes to the relationship that was possible between man and beast. He inspired my husband to get out with us and ride, even if it was only a bike. But he also made my husband realize he wanted to ride.

and my last ride..............

Run free my sweet boy.....you are finally with Amber again!

Amante gave me back my life..................my ridiing life and now it is because of him I can move on and always know his spirit will be with me as a ride my next mount.
Melissa, Southern California.....hitting the trails with Jex my Tennessee Walking Horse...soon.

melissah

• View Profile
Re: Winds of Change.................
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2014, 06:02:12 pm »

“Edward: You know what the difference is between a dream and a goal? he used to say to me. A plan.”
― Jodi Picoult, Lone Wolf

And a woman always has a plan.  ;)

melissah

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2014, 01:03:39 pm »

**sigh** One of the downfalls of buying 3 horses at once is tack,  saddles and fit. My saddle fits Mercy just perfect. But David has no saddle....but mine fits Storm so we have another Tenessean on order. Hannah's saddle does not fit hers so we have another saddle on order that should be a good fit. No bits....all on order...Hannah and I rode with hackamore's and a side pull. So David has his first lesson on his horse this weekend so he will be borrowing my saddle and Hannah's new bit she got for Xmas. I am DYING yo ride Mercy. We brought them home on Saturday and it was crazy windy. Not only were all the horses in a new place but we had fierce winds that made them all nutty. So we are giving them a week to acclimate,  besides we don't have tack. lol  I'm thinking of throwing my side pull on Mercy while bareback but don't know if that's a good idea. She is super green and still in a snaffle. Hmmmm, we'll see. The two mares are still a bit silly over all the changes and the gelding, well, it's all old news to him now. Typical gelding.  :) Hind sight is 20/20....I sold a bunch of bits on eBay a couple of years ago. Still thinking about what colors I want to do on Mercy. Pink? Purple? Girly colors? Decisions decisions. My husband is ready to go out rail riding. Men! They are so different from women, he's just ready to go.

melissah

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2014, 07:35:23 am »

I don't remember buying new tack to be exhausting. Last night David and I sat online shopping for saddle pads, headstalls and reins. He got he chosen quickly but I am still in a tack quandary. lol. We are all just buying stuff to get by for now and later if we see something that screams at us, we'll buy other stuff later. The horse expo is coming next month anyway. And per UPS Hannah and David get their saddles Monday! How exciting. But I hate this winter season. Can't do anything after work as it is dark at 5. Poor neigh neigh's are just hanging out doing nothing. As if they care. haha. Wish I could find pink leather headstall and reins.

melissah

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2014, 01:19:23 pm »

Husband and I are going crazy! Got new horses and can't ride...can't visit after work because it gets dark...bleh bleh

I told him he finally "gets it" because I use to get into a funk when I could not see/ride my horse consistently. Winter always drove me crazy for this reason. We had copies of keys made for the barn last night. The BO locks the gait at night and likes it shut in case a horse ever gets out. David does not have the key and can't wait until he does tonight. I told him I would be happy if he just stopped on his way home and made sure they were okay. Even if to give them a kiss and a tickle. He agree's.

All the tack etc we ordered is shipped and on it's way. David has his first lesson on Storm tomorrow at the instructors house. We are trailering over there...oh, did I forget to mention we bought a new 3 horse aluminum trailer. And a couple of days ago we bought a 2006 Dodge Laramie dully diesel  to pull the horses. Traded in our Chevy Silverado. You should have seen the white knuckling we did the Saturday we picked up all 3 horses in the Chevy. That was the only tow that truck would ever do. As we drove home we started to see every trailer out there was being pulled by a Dodge. David did his research and decided a cummins engine was the way to go.

And in case anyone is wondering, no, we did not win the lotto. David sold his 1967 Nova on eBay couple of weeks ago, his pride and joy. But he had decided after 10 years he was done. Especially now that he really jumped in head first into horses. That was the only way we could get 3 horses at once. The rest is in the savings for retirement one day. I really love that he is a big part of my life now and enjoying the same things I enjoy. Yep, I got me a cowboy. Wait....do cowboys ride gaited horses? haha

Oh and I also had my first horse related accident of the year and I wasn't even riding.  The day we picked up the horses I was inside the trailer opening the dividers. My old trailer had the kind of divider that you could extend it and it would lock in place. Well, guess what? The new trailer does not. I grabbed the divider and pulled it out, grabbing it tight and letting my body lean back thinking it would stop at the locking position. Well, it did not lock into position and out I flew backwards, out of the trailer, with the divider still in hand and landed on my butt in the dirt! The guy we bought the TWH's from was in the trailer with me when it happen and he jumped out and gave me a hand. Hannah was holding Nickle to load her next and she spooked as I flew out of the trailer near where they waited. David rushed to me to. But all I could do was start hysterically laughing. Yeah, I was embarrassed but it was also a funny sight. And not one bruise the next day. Crazy. But one more memory for the books!

melissah

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2014, 04:14:29 pm »

Well, horse life is not always rainbows and unicorns.

We bought Hannah and David's horse from the same man. David's has turned out to be all rainbows and unicorns but Hannah's,  well is more like Monsoons and Tasmanian devils. The longer she stays the nuttier she has gotten. Seems she has turned incredibly buddy sour, insane and has reached the point she has become downright dangerous. All we know of her past is she has been born and raised by the same woman since her birth. Used as strictly a trail horse. Tried her, rode her, picked up feet....nice horse. Hannah got off and Nikle followed her around. But she seemed to change slowly as she went longer. It all hit a nasty head on Sunday. Saturday we tied them all to the trailer. Mine and David's (the 7 and 8 year old) were calm, relaxed....stood quietly. Nikle was not. She had started the head flinging before but it had gotten bad as time went on. Hannah had always led her horse back and forth and David and I had not until this weekend to see what hannah was talking about. It started Saturday when Hannah tried to pick up her back feet and she threatened kicking. We chalked it up to her being between the two horses because later Hannah picked up her feet in her stall where she protest a little but did. Sunday came and she started her shenanigans again. But this time in her stall swung her hind in towards Hannah threatening to kick again. And Hannah broke down out of fear and defeat, crying. We all went home and David and I decided to drive back, just the two of us and see what was going on ourselves. So I took her out of her stall and walked her to the trailer. Let me start by saying this mare has no respect at all for her handler. I was walking her in circles all the way and then even was making her go in circles using the back of my lead rope. David wanted to see also so he took her and same thing. She was out of control and he did circles all the way to the trailer where I tied her. Both our horses stand quiet at the trailer....not this one. I could not get close and one time almost got smashed between her and the trailer. She was flinging her head, flailing from side to side, trying to rear while tied. I can say this right off the bat. This is not anything I want to start out with, or have my daughter ride. She was downright scared of her. And after discussing it with my husband this was not the horse for Hannah. Yes, Hannah has been riding 10 + years but still struggles with confident issues. So this is a no brainer. She has dealt with difficult horses in the past and never wants to again. She admits to wanting a dead broke beginner horse. The confident issues are not only a part of her horse life but slowly spill out to other area's of her life as well and as her Mother, she by no means has to "cowgirl" up and ride a dangerous horse, or "cowgirl" up and give the horse a chance, or "cowgirl" up and get hurt or even get killed over this horse. I would not want anything to do with this horse either. This horse has flipped the switch and is living strictly by her fear instinct. There are way too many horses out there for us to spend 100's of dollars on training, lessons, etc etc. Good bye Nickle. And we knew when Hannah on the way home in tears told us both, " I don't want her. Send her back." Yes, maybe someone who wants a challenge. Someone who has 30 + years of experience and all the time in the world would fair better with her, but not us.

So of course first thing we thought was what will we do with her? I told David to call the man we bought her from. We were reluctant because we were afraid he would say, "you bought her. You own her." But there was that one side of us that knew he was a man of his word and told us if any of them do not work out call him and he'll do what's right. So David called him and like I have told others. This man is truly the salt of the earth. He asked if we wanted him to come down and ride her and David said no, she is scared of her. And he said, "Oh my! I am so sorry. Please send Hannah my apologies and no bring her back. I'll swap her out for one that fits her. I will start looking tomorrow for another." David told him she really needs a beginner horse. Been there, done that and unflappable.

I believe this mare was everything he thought she was. He had been on many rides with her and knew the previous owner. I don't know what sparked her to turn so "Lizard brain" but she did. Maybe the move, new barn etc was too much for a mare that had lived one place for 9 years and had one handler. Who knows why horses flip switches. But she got downright scary for us all. And as I stated...I don't do crazy.

So Saturday we load up Nickle and take her back. I know there's a horse out there somewhere.  Hannah really needs a beginner horse. She needs an Amante if such horses do exist. Fingers crossed and God Willing.

melissah

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2014, 08:42:20 am »

Today we take back Nickie. The seller has been wonderful and really searched out a horse for Hannah. I told him what she needs and possibly he has a winner. So, let's see. Going to look at a 15 year old mare today. Been there, done that. Maybe a couple of others possibly too. Then later finally get to ride my neigh neigh. About time. Pictures later.......

melissah

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2014, 12:41:16 pm »

This time we are giving 150% to everything horse. Besides the fact we can drive and be at the barn in 7 minutes, no problem. Several years ago I bought GAITED HORSEMANSHIP with Clinton Anderson. I never really needed it as Amante was pretty much perfect. He had to be all those 17 years as a stallion. He had impeccable manners, in the saddle and on the ground.

So we are investing in Clinton Anderson. Although the Gaited series isn't so much about gaited as it is about groundwork etc. And that is important. That foundation is important. Especially now that I have a green horse and David is a first time horse owner. I love CA because out of all the methods out there his are the easiest to understand and I love the way he goes into detail. Looking forward to it. It may take quite a long time....that's 60 exercises to do and it will be I would guess several weeks per one. But I can't stress the importance of establishing that respect on the ground because it does transfer to saddle.

We even booked a weekend in Vegas for his Walkabout tour. Can't beat party/CA...all in a weekend. That's in July.

But I still love other clinicians, Mark Rashid, Liz Graves, and of course love Buck Brannaman who will also be giving a clinic this spring. Think we will go to watch that one too.

melissah

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2014, 01:12:06 pm »

Must say, I love how excited David is everyday! All he talks about is he can't wait to ride his horse, for summer to hurry, to start the CA exercises. This morning he tells me, "Let's sit down and watch some more CA tonight." He even stops at the barn if he gets done early to say hey to Storm.

He loves to tease me because I can't leave work. Haha. But it sure is nice living so close to the ranch.

Bought all my CA training tools today. Pink rope halter and lead rope...of course. And a bunch of other horse stuff we needed. I love shopping online.

This weekend I plan to hand walk Mercy around the ranch before I even ride. There are some area's they all get a little weird about. Since Mercy's scare of the donkey at my friends house I want to walk her around the barn to let her see all the other animals. There are Rams, Donkey's, Chickens, goats and all kinds of inanimate objects here and there. Fun fun.

melissah

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2014, 03:24:02 pm »

Really love how Reggie is working out for Hannah. He is everything and more than what I was expecting. When we went back to the barn, the seller had actually found a "babysitter" type horse for her. Of course at the time I did not tell Hannah this, nor did I want to for obvious reasons ;D. And he didn't want to tell her either. But the babysitter mare who was 16 turned out to be a hard pacer. He mentioned he had another horse also in case she wanted to try him. Reggie had just come in 3 weeks prior from Tennessee and was in bad shape (cosmetically speaking). He looked a little rough around the edges and had been living out in the pasture with the others. Hannah took the mare up to the arena while the stable guy tacked up Reggie to ride with Hannah up there too. Hannah had her eyes on Reggie the whole time. And I loved him because he was quiet and smooth. He looked like a gentle guy. Yes, at 9 he is still young but I could see that old soul in him. So we took Reggie home. And I must say I am very happy with him. Hannah texted me yesterday from the barn, "Reggie Nickered at me" Awwww...that made me happy. He watches her like a hawk too. He has wonderful ground manners and great under saddle. He's a really good boy.

Loving that girl of mine too. She's quite the character. She's finally settled in and feels safe. Of course I can't wait until the time changes. It's starting to stay light longer so soon I will be able to head to the barn when I get off at 5:00. David wishes he had looked at horse property when we were home shopping but how was he suppose to know he was going to ride one day. I told him you just never know what the future holds. Maybe one day we can sell and shop for horse property. I told him we don't need anything fancy as Hannah is almost 21 and growing up.

Happy with Storm. And believe me, it will get better. David is taking lessons and I suggested taking a few from where we bought him. Plus he can call the seller anytime for help. I think everyone will be pleasantly surprised in the future.

melissah

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2014, 12:22:28 pm »

Finally the weekend. After running some errands we are finally heading to the barn. Got a game plan in mind. Got camera to catch the action. It's going to be a good day. Have some positive insight going on as well. We are constantly learning. Today is a new day. A new month.

melissah

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2014, 06:33:19 pm »

Incredible Incredible Incredible.

That's what today was.

Saturday we went to the horse expo. David bought a new bit. He bought a new saddle pad too. I bought new reins to match my side pull. David bought reins too.

Today we woke up and went right to accuweather. Wind! Yuck. Don't like the wind at all. So of course we were all weary of the wind. Driving there we seen all the Junipers blowing hard. If you know Junipers, they don't move. They are a lot of bush. But as we drove onto the ranch, all we seen was stillness. I also dressed for warmth. But we were pleasantly surprised at how sunny and warm it got.

One thing David realized over the last couple of weeks was #1....Storm was not happy with the bit and #2...he hates the round pen. I think it makes it tough on gaited horses. You really can't move out in one.  So we got rid of the shanked bit and David decided to move to the arena. We all decided to move to the arena.

And what a glorious day. More room and a different bit, what a difference. Also, while at the expo we ran into the sellers stable guy that rode the horses for the owner of the barn. He was riding one of their Walkers and we watched him ride. Watched his hands, watched his cues. Then David spoke to him and asked him questions. Learned a lot there too. Always so helpful. Later, we went to the breed Revelation barn and found Russ there representing the TWHBEA as well and showing his horses. Yes, he is who we bought our horses from and he has always been so willing to help us with any questions. He is a pleasure to talk to. Don't like what he does but he is a wonderful human being. I would recommend him to anyone. My best friend supports PETA but I don't kick her to the curb for it. WWJD?

All 3 of us went to the arena. Storm was a whole different horse today. Don't know what the problem was last weekend. Maybe the whole confrontation in the arena with Reggie and getting hurt. but today, he was his old self. Calm, mellow and the Storm we love. I explained to David horses have off days too just like people do. I explained to David about his seat...about his hands...about riding in general and what a difference. Also chatted with one of the boarders who adopts OTTB's and rehabs them. She does lessons. She does dressage and english riding and thought she would be great for David as far as lessons go. I don't give my husband lessons....but he reads a lot and watches video's. I refuse to teach my husband. I have never been a good teacher. but I do guide and give him tips. I was out there today helping both him and Hannah.

I finally got on Mercy. Later, David told me how happy he was watching Mercy and I. I think he thought she would be too much horse for me. He really does see that scared woman I was once. I am not her anymore.

Towards the end of the ride it got a bit hairy for David and I. Two fellow boarders rode then put their horses away. As soon as our horses heard the clanging of the trash cans which equal FOOD they went haywire. They both got stuck on stupid. Storm actually took off on David heading towards the side of the arena the food was on. He tried to stop him but he would not so David did a one rein stop and got him going into a large circle until he stopped. He rode him a bit more and made sure he was listening then called it a day. Mercy kept heading in that direction too and we had a couple of "come to Jesus" moments. But I got her in control then called it a day. We plan to do a lot of riding after 5 during the summer so they will get worked with first on the ground. Won't let feeding time stop us!

At the end of the day we were all happy. As time goes on, things will get easier. Wish we had more time. Wish we had them at home.

Some pictures from today.

My sweet girl. Did I mention I am in love with this horse already.

David and Storm. All this work will pay off in the end.

Mercy and I. The side pull is working out great.

Mercy....noticing the sexy gelding across the way

David and I

and Storm watching david....."hey, where did ya go?"

melissah

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2014, 10:26:32 am »

I decided it was time to send David to another instructor. My friend who he was going to is great but I think she is just too "Cowboy" for my liking. So I recommended Opava Eventing to him. She is the best instructor I have EVER had and I have had quite a few in my search. She actually runs her business out of the old barn we boarded at so we'd trailer there.  I only took two lessons with her with Amante and Hannah did a couple on Amber. She is amazing and classically trained. I think that's what David needs. I will take my video camera so I can re-watch and takes notes for myself because I know I can walk away with so much knowledge even if I did not take a lesson myself but watched his.

Everything is coming up Roses with my Mercy. She's an incredible little mare. And I finally did measure her correctly. She is 14.2 hh Do I feel better about that? YES! Haha. I love the security of having a small girl. But she is built like a little brick house.

Can't wait to get off the property and actually ride. I'm getting antsy but that day will come.

This is the instructor David will go to:

http://www.opavaeventing.com/

melissah

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2014, 05:59:50 pm »

So much to do. My head is spinning. We been trying to get the house ready to put on the market. Our realtor wants to come by for pictures as soon as we give her the go. Doing all that stuff to make the house look great. Uncluttering, making things look simple, going out over the weekend and buying lots of yellow flowers for our front planters. We want to have her come by on Monday or Tuesday. She says as soon as the house goes on the market we can start looking.

I told the family to STOP looking at "for sale" homes in the area because everyday there are new "Pendings"  and nothing more depressing than seeing a potential home then seeing it "pending." And we really don't know how long it will take to sell ours. Hopefully not too long.

Tomorrow the farrier comes for all 3 horses. Want to get the trims all done at the same time. Then at 2 PM David has his first lesson with the new instructor. We can't wait for that. I've got my camcorder plugged in and ready. I learn so much just by listening and watching her give a lesson. I know it will be beneficial for David to watch and listen to his own lesson later. We will all learn from this. Glad we finally got in. He was starting to get discouraged. You just can't teach yourself. And I've told him I am by not by any means a teacher. I've got so much to learn still. I told him he needs to schedule a lesson once a week and he's good with that. The more confidence he gains and the more he learns he will feel confident getting out on the trail.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Up