verify account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hay basket  (Read 489 times)

kckc

Hay basket
« on: December 31, 2013, 05:09:06 pm »

This is neat and you could easily put a net over the top without having to wrap all the hay... don't know what it costs

http://www.cashmans.com/Cashman/CA_WebProd.nsf/catTease/Hay~Baskets?opendocument
NC

Walkin45

Re: Hay basket
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2013, 05:34:06 pm »

I have seen those .

countrygirl

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2013, 06:44:31 pm »

Lowes has it with free shipping for $357:  http://www.lowes.com/pd_337991-60456-EHB_0__?productId=3530102

It's cheaper here ($320) but shipping is high ($166 to me in central TX):  http://www.ruralking.com/agriculture/livestock/horse-supplies/horse-feeders-watering-equipment/tarter-equine-hay-basket-ehb.html or here for a pink one  ;Dhttp://www.ruralking.com/agriculture/livestock/horse-supplies/horse-feeders-watering-equipment/tarter-equine-pink-hay-basket-ehbp.html

They also have a half-circle one for fence mounting, but I couldn't find anyone who carries it.

The reviews I saw were mixed from site to site.  Quite a few said their horses just pulled the hay out and onto the ground, so it was a waste for them.
Liz from Texas

G84me

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2013, 08:00:46 pm »

Looks like a nice product (Cashmans doesn't carry junk), but the price isn't so nice for me. 
I'll stick with the small-hole hay nets.

Joann
- Joann
Central Ohio
Black Jack - STB gelding @ Rainbow Bridge 11/15
Lady - Tennessee Walker mare
Ebony - Tennessee Walker gelding

kckc

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2013, 08:31:23 pm »

I wouldn't use it without putting a net on the top but it looked it would be easy to net the top.  price is higher than I thought it would be... of course.  :-)
NC

Patricia Mosely

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2014, 07:38:51 am »

I have seen these before, advertised in Horse & Rider magazine. We looked into buying one but the price, plus shipping was just too much.

Pat

kckc

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2014, 09:05:51 am »

one of the responses showed it at Lowes.  It doesn't come up at my local lowes but that doesn't mean they wouldn't order it to a lowes close to you.   I didn't even know lowes sold any horse items, they don't any place close to me locally.
NC

gallatingal

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2014, 11:47:02 am »

I would rather get a porta grazers for that kind of money. You could almost get 2
Life is short, buy the pony!

stablemind

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2014, 02:31:39 pm »

You can get a large hay net for under $20 and it will probably last you a couple years. You can keep several on hand and fill them all at one time so you don't have to mess with them every day. Once you figure out your favorite way to fill them, it's quick and easy. I'd be hard put to spend money on any of these feeders when the net is all you actually need. (If I used one of these without a net, I'm pretty sure the horses would toss the hay all over the place rather than eating it out of the feeder.)

That said, using a net with this feeder would probably work well.

kckc

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2014, 02:38:49 pm »

I use hay nets.  I have one in my hay hut and one in my poly feeder.  wouldn't be without my nets but I cannot use the nets without something around them.  my horses start fouling the hay in the nets long before it is empty and the cleanup for me by the time they stop eating is awful.   Never again will they have a net of hay that isn't contained to keep them off of it.   this hay basket would be handy for a paddock area or someone wanting to put out more hay than the little bit that it seems goes into the portagrazers.  I'd really like a couple of the portagrazers for road trips and for anytime a horse is stalled (mine are usually always out) but the price is just too much for me to consider.
NC

smoothrider

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2014, 11:49:27 am »

I buy the slow feed nets for ten dollars, fill them up and tie them into a ball (cut the strings short)....the horses play with them and it takes a long time for them to finish all of the hay.  The feeder looks nice but unless covered on top my horses would put the hay on the ground.  Also, if it rained and it wasn't empty the bottom hay could get moldy.

MyBoyG

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2014, 04:58:54 pm »

I was looking to see if I could find any directions on how to build a wooden hay house with a roof.  I visited a farm in NY that had one and it worked really well and looked fairly easy to build.  It was an open box with an approx 3' high wall and four posts supporting a roof that had a nice size overhang to keep the hay and most of the horse dry if it were raining.  Looked nice too. Similar to the picture in the attached http://www.twinlocustbarnsinc.com/Horse_Barns_pic_7_hay_feeder.jpg but higher side walls, no metal separators and more roof overhang.

Horsemanship, the wonderful never ending journey of learning!   Every job is a self-portrait of the person who does it.  Autograph your work with excellence.

kckc

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2014, 05:11:39 pm »

I looked into building something a while back before I bought the hay hut.   The plans I started had skids under it sort of so that I could move it or pick it up with forks to move it around and some overhang for the horses.   figuring how to put the round bale in easily and between the size, weight & cost I decided it was cheaper and easier to build a shed roof and put a poly ring (with hay net) under it.   My plan is to build a second  shed roof and have another poly ring under it in a different area of the property.   The poly ring I got had a lot of screws in it but was adjustable for big bales or small bales.   
NC

craftcorral

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2014, 12:12:26 pm »

Ouch - that feeder from Lowes is pricey but sure is nice looking!  It would be perfect with a net stretched across the top.
Pages: [1]   Go Up