Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Cruising toward retirement  (Read 2749 times)

ponymare

Bits of Color
« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2016, 01:43:17 pm »

Leaves were just barely starting to turn there but we saw a little color.  I always love the beautiful hemlocks, too.

ponymare

Little Farther, little higher
« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2016, 02:24:21 pm »

On Wednesday, Sept. 28, we took a new trail.  We had started off at Gobbler's knob on one ride, but this trail started at Middle Creek Trailhead and went to Gobbler's Knob and made a loop.  We just did an "out and back" for a bit over a two hour ride. There were a few more climbs on this trail and Sunny and I puffed our way up a few.  Just when you would think he was tired and just sauntering along, though, he would  find a middle gear. I just let him sort of set the pace, even if we fell behind.  Which didn't seem to concern him in the least.  We were both happy as clams (whatever that means) bringing up the rear.  They had insisted we lead a few times the day before but I think they decided they wanted to get there before the end of the week so they only made halfhearted gestures to let us lead this time.  We DID start out in the lead a few times, but we also got passed each time! So what.  :D

ponymare

Resting and posing
« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2016, 02:32:21 pm »

More from the Middle Creek Ride...  We stopped at Gobbler's Knob for a little break before heading back.  Middle Creek has some nice new pit toilets that were very much appreciated. ;) I guess I should really be posting these in the trail section but they are easier for me to look back at in my journal. 
« Last Edit: October 03, 2016, 02:35:34 pm by ponymare »

ponymare

"Home Sweet Trail"
« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2016, 04:33:59 pm »

Thursday we took the day off from riding and made a loop through the corner of KY.  Our dealer had been out of our feed before we left on our trip and I found a dealer about 24 miles from Jamestown that had what we needed, so we just made a day of it.  I'll get back to that story later.

On Friday, we decided to just tootle around the little training trail in the development.  David had left the gaiters off the hoofboots because last November, Gabe's started rubbing where the wet neoprene gaiter was.  Day one with the boots went okay, but day two he had a rubbed place. Sunny hasn't had any problems at all with the boots, with or without gaiters, but this FREE horse is a hothouse flower with INCREDIBLY delicate skin.  The big guy even rubbed a quarter sized spot off his rump on the way up to Jamestown, by leaning back against either the screw on the window or the whole window jamb.  He wedges his rear somehow into the back wall and the divider - I guess to rest his legs.  Anyway, we think we solved that problem by buying a thin Walmart rug with a little cushion and non skid backing and draping it over the window bar so that the screw and bottom of the window are covered.  No rub on the return trip!

But back to Friday. I digress.  Anyway, we decided to just do the "home" trail Friday and leave the boots off.  There's a little fine gravel (pea gravel or crusher run) in  spots but this didn't cause any problems.  Yay!!

Now remember this was the third day they had gone out and both days on the trails we had trailered to, Gabe was as relaxed as could be, with another horse along. But he was dialed UP for several passes up and down this trail.  I have decided that it may have something to do with the loss of his eye and he feels he has to be more alert now, because he usually leads.  However, when another horse is along, even if Gabe is in the lead, he is pretty relaxed.  I think he knows that in a battle, Sunny is a wimp and would be  pretty useless as backup!! ;D

He finally relaxed after a few passes on the trail and weaving in and out of a couple of smaller trails.  They don't ever seem to like the open fields as well as the woods.  But they were both good boys and listened and were controllable. They didn't even react when some turkeys.ran back and forth in front of them in a dither and finally flew across the field.

I can just imagine what the trail will look like when the rhododendrons bloom.  I  hope we will be there some day when that happens - and hopefully, before retirement.

ponymare

More of the home trail
« Reply #34 on: October 03, 2016, 04:36:10 pm »

A few more of our nice little training trail...

ponymare

ponymare

Electric excitement
« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2016, 12:46:24 pm »

I got my first electric bill from Jamestown in the mail the other day and I felt silly how excited it made me! I just had to put it into words, even if writing them down does make me feel a bit sheepish!  We are hoping to head back there soon so we can see some more amazing sunrises.  ;D

« Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 12:49:48 pm by ponymare »

ponymare

Kentucky BSF
« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2016, 03:37:24 pm »

I had forgotten I had a few pictures of our little foray into Kentucky on our September trip to Jamestown.  After picking up our feed and eating lunch we took a circuitous route back home by way of the Kentucky side of the Big South Fork.  We stopped to check out the train schedule and next on my bucket list is a ride on the Big South Fork Scenic Railway that goes down into the Gorge and by Blue Heron Mining Camp. There is also a model of an old coal town that you can tour.  If we could ever get ourselves off of Central Time and on Eastern, we might actually  make it somewhere on time!  The Time Zone seems to be a squiggly line in that part of TN! We went to Devils Jump Overlook for another view of the Gorge.  I hope all the fall colors aren't gone by the time we head back.  They had just begun to turn when we were there in September. The natural bridges are also pretty cool.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 03:40:59 pm by ponymare »

ponymare

Pumpkin Festival
« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2016, 03:58:48 pm »

If you're ever in Fentress County on the first weekend in October, be sure to go to the Allardt Pumpkin Festival but plan to get there early!

The prize winning pumpkin weighed in at 1472 lbs. but the winner didn't break his own TN state record of 1577 pounds at another festival the year before.  These people are SERIOUS about their pumpkins!  I was really more interested in the monster watermelons because I LOVE my watermelon.  The prize winning watermelon weighed 290 pounds.  The one we got a picture of was ONLY 250 pounds. 

David was far more interested in all of the antique cars and tractors than the vegetables.  One man had his car set up for transporting moonshine.  He asked me if I liked moonshine and I told him I liked moonshine fudge if that counted. I remember seeing a small metal submarine a few years ago that had been used to transport illegal whiskey on the Mississippi River during Prohibition. Pretty inventive folks. Well, of course, I'm wandering off my subject. 

We got there a little late and by the crowd of vehicles in front of us, you would have thought we were going to a rock concert or a college football game.  I think people come from all over to attend this festival.  And I don't think we have ever seen that many antique cars, and tractors and motorcycles in one place.

Pretty entertaining on a beautiful fall afternoon!

ponymare

Tractor envy
« Reply #40 on: October 18, 2016, 04:10:51 pm »

I thought the tractors were even more interesting than the cars.  One had a cute sign that I thought was pretty clever.  And I was amazed to see a John Deere Tractor in bright yellow paint instead of its signature John Deere Green.

Though we had seen a dark cloud in the distance, it never threatened rain which was nice since we had to walk a little way to see all the sights.  We also picked up some delicious pumpkin loaf and learned that a Whoopie Pie was basically like an oatmeal pie but instead of using two oatmeal cookies, you use pumpkin ones.  I am getting quite an education on our adventures.  When we got ready to leave there was another line of cars leaving town, but it moved pretty fast.  I will definitely be going back if I get the chance!
« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 04:13:39 pm by ponymare »

ponymare

Way BACK
« Reply #41 on: October 21, 2016, 11:16:32 am »

Just found some pictures on my phone that were the REAL beginning of our driveway/camper pad construction. 

David first brought the trailer over to determine how much gravel was needed where. The cup with the straw was his marker when he removed the garden hose so he would know how much area he would have to maneuver the trailer in. I think he was really just showing how close he could get to the cup without running over it!

I should say that we first had to imagine where our imaginary house would go first. And that he'd already determined  what the highest point of the drive would be by watching which way the water ran when it rained. 

In the last pic you can see the cup so he managed to miss it and yet go right by it. Mad skills!  ;D  I probably couldn't even back the car up without running over the cup. LOL! 
« Last Edit: October 21, 2016, 11:20:28 am by ponymare »

ponymare

Cumberland Valley Trail
« Reply #42 on: November 01, 2016, 07:50:57 am »

We headed back to our paradise October 24 and stayed a VERY SHORT week.  :-\  It gets harder and harder to leave. Our neighbors and trail guides took us along the Cumberland Valley trail on Tuesday but we didn't make the whole loop.  We did ride down the O&W and rode along North White Oak Creek for a while and walked down to the East Laurel Overlook.  Crisp fall weather and beautiful views. My heart was full!

ponymare

North White Oak Creek serenade
« Reply #43 on: November 01, 2016, 07:56:42 am »

Besides the relaxing sounds of water rushing over rock, we were serenaded by a rider playing the harmonica as he rode along.  The horses were quite mesmerized! He even stopped to give us a little concert and played "My Old Kentucky Home."  There's a nice picnic spot there so we even had the good seats!

ponymare

Groom's Branch and North White Oak
« Reply #44 on: November 01, 2016, 08:02:45 am »

The water was pretty low.  There wasn't any water at Coyle Branch this time.  I hope they get some rain soon.  They have had a little more rain than we have but not much.  Gabe was a little hesitant stepping out into Groom's Branch because of the shadows and reflections since he only has one eye, but he was a good boy and trusted David to guide him. 
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Up