Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Cruising toward retirement  (Read 2563 times)

ponymare

In the trenches
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2016, 01:29:48 pm »

He finally got the line trenched and the lineman came and connected it at the electric company's end.  This was no mean feat as he had painstakingly fished the specified twine through each segment of pipe and was all the way at the end when glue from the very last segment stuck to the twine and they couldn't fish it out.  In a race against a summer cloudburst, we jumped in the truck and raced to our trusty neighbor's house to borrow a generator and leaf blower to suck the paper bag and twine back through the pipe once again so we could finish this project!  So close and yet so far!  Alas, the rain didn't hold off and the merry men worked in a steady downpour to accomplish their goal.  The first paper bag was too wet and wouldn't work so it took a SECOND bag and old college try to get the twine through to the end of the pipe.  But finally it was done and the wires were connected!!  And of course, the rain stopped as abruptly as it started after everything was done!
« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 10:18:38 pm by ponymare »

ponymare

When ground rod meets TN rock
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2016, 01:42:52 pm »

I'm not sure where in the sequence the driving of the ground rod came in but I know the night before it was driven, my husband didn't get much sleep.  His biggest fear was that there was solid rock right next to the RV hook up and this fear was fueled by his very first attempt to run the trencher and meeting some solid rock! Fortunately he was able to drive the rod the required feet needed by standing in the bucket of the tractor and letting our neighbor lower him down each time he pounded it further into the ground. I think after this task was accomplished he had a good night's sleep, ;D
« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 10:21:02 pm by ponymare »

ponymare

Waterworks
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2016, 01:49:35 pm »

Since we had leased the trencher for  24 hours he decided to go ahead and trench the water line as well.  We are now inclined to wait until spring time to put the water meter in (since we will only be there a few more times before winter) so he just ran the water line and installed a frost free faucet  in preparation for next spring.  When we go in October we will just use the water tanks, and the ponies will stay elsewhere.  Putting in the fence will probably be a job for the spring as well.

Stay tuned for more cruising!

« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 09:45:42 am by ponymare »

ponymare

Re: Cruising toward retirement
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2016, 01:52:54 pm »

Ready for our next project! Full steam ahead.

ponymare

Road Trip
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2016, 01:55:53 pm »

We've only been back to  Jamestown for a long weekend trip in August and it just happened to coincide with the World's Longest Yard Sale that stretches from Alabama all the way up to Michigan...  (the famous Hwy 127 Yard Sale).  We really hadn't intended to go that weekend because our visit in 2010 happened to be right at the beginning of the sale and we really didn't want to face the crowds and traffic again.  But we found if you come in the Thursday of the sale, it's not too bad - traffic-wise.  It promised to be a rainy few days but that didn't deter those hard core junkers and yard sale afficionados .  Neither did heat and humidity.  I was grudgingly impressed.

We rolled into town on Thursday afternoon and headed straight to the "farm." I admit to my interest being a little piqued by the miles and miles of tents and tables filled with items, but luckily my husband showed no such interest. I had a friend who went to that same event and had to rent a trailer to bring home some furniture she really had no need for, but apparently it was too good a deal. I must have dodged a bullet!  ;)

By the time we got to our property a little summer shower rolled in but it couldn't dampen our enthusiasm at being in our little slice of heaven. Corny, yep.  Even a misty day on our hill is better than a sunny day anywhere else.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 04:24:55 pm by ponymare »

ponymare

Leather and Lace
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2016, 02:09:05 pm »

On Friday we headed even further out into the country with a meandering trip to the Mennonite community of Muddy Pond.  We had gotten some coasters at a leather working shop there and wanted to have some more made for hubby's sister.  Ours were made with horse shoes and leather  but the only ones they had there that day had mules on them and we were looking for some with horses.  We finally decided to just have them make up a set with a small horse head and Muddy Pond, TN stamped on them.  We also enjoyed browsing in the General Store there and I found an old fashioned flour sifter similar to one my mother used for years.  I also loved the rocking chairs made from oak and cherry.  They are so comfortable.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 02:21:05 pm by ponymare »

ponymare

Cows and Cornfields
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2016, 02:18:12 pm »

It's a scenic drive to Muddy Pond, with rolling hills dotted with cows and ponds and fields of corn.  Some of the members of the community have little vegetable stands in front of their houses and we were tempted to to buy a watermelon from a little bit of a woman waving cheerily at the cars and trucks driving by her place.  There's also a tiny little store with the best  fresh bakery goods, but that wasn't one of the day's stops this time.

A little pond guarded by a weeping willow and bench proclaims itself to be the Muddy Pond.  It looked like it would be a nice place to stop and eat some of those delicious baked goods. 

Life in the slow lane. It looked pretty tempting.

ponymare

Reluctant Yard Salers
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2016, 02:34:29 pm »

I decided Saturday that we should at least see what all the fuss was about at the yard sales. A friend and veteran of the event suggested we head towards Pall Mall instead of back towards Crossville, as there would be fewer crowds and less traffic, but we could still soak up a little of the the local atmosphere. And, really, to go just to say we had experienced a little of it.  That sounded like a plan to me as this would take us to to Sergeant York Historical Site. We had been there before and I had enjoyed the scenic grist mill and grounds.  So we bravely set out to see what was what.  It didn't take me long, though, to realize, that even with the lower humidity (versus the MS heat), it was still just way too warm out in heat of the day!  I quickly realized that the only yard sale goods I wanted to look at were going to be located under huge tents! 8)  Probably the most interesting items, to us, were the old tools like wood planes and farm implements.  My husband said his Dad had an old wooden handled drill very much like the one we saw. Before he told me it was a drill, I thought it was an old kitchen implement!  When we were in Vicksburg later, he actually used this wooden drill to install some shelving in his Mom's bathroom. It still worked great. I also liked the old washing machine that must have been the height of luxury in its day.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 02:37:15 pm by ponymare »

ponymare

Sweet Goodbyes
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2016, 03:06:10 pm »

I always feel a pang when we leave Jamestown headed south  But we paused to tell the babies goodbye. There are usually some beautiful babies to see and we always love to look at the eye candy in the pastures along the way.   :)

« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 03:41:32 pm by ponymare »

ponymare

River Town Bound
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2016, 03:41:03 pm »

Although we didn't get to go back to Tennessee, we ended up taking the LQ to Vicksburg, MS in mid August. Due to LOTS of family in town, we decided to bring our bed and shower WITH us on the road.

We scoped out a really nice campground by comparing satellite photos of the distance between camping pads!  Camping has gotten way more scientific and high tech since we last had a travel trailer! ;D

Rivertown Campground is a really nice campground for a non-horse camp and I didn't even feel too out of place there with the LQ. I especially liked that there were discreet lights at every camp site.  We noticed when signing the guest book that there were campers there from as far away as Alaska and even Australia.  The owner said they frequently get tent campers from Europe in the summer months.  I wonder how they handle our heat and humidity!   

We ended up staying at Rivertown a week for about the same price a couple of days would have cost us in a hotel.  I'm pretty sure we WILL be back. With 18 grandchildren and 9 great grandchildren, our family isn't getting any smaller. It just keeps growing!
« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 03:48:44 pm by ponymare »

ponymare

finds for a house that may never be!
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2016, 04:46:16 pm »

I'm starting to look for things with an eye to a possible move to TN (a hopeful eye). It's much more fun to look for new things than to start getting rid of old things.  Although I'm slowly but slowly doing a little bit of that as well. :P  I have boxes labeled "go through" and "burn". It's tedious work going through old bits of paper and memorabilia. My husband and I have very different ideas of what to keep and what to "shuck", too.  In the bottom of one of the boxes filled with the detritus of at least 16 years, I found several pieces of thick cable with three strands of wire in them. One was roughly 18 inches long and the other was a bit shorter.  I asked him what they were for and he didn't have a clue or why he had saved them.  "So I can throw them out?" I asked him hopefully.  Nope. Of course not.  :-\

Tired of the sheer drudgery of divesting myself of all my worldly "stuff", I decided to reward myself occasionally with pieces that I could see making the journey to Tennessee.  Here are a few that will probably make the cut.

One such item is a little table for two with a richly varnished surface and white painted legs.  I can see, in my mind's eye, this piece placed in front of a window, with slanting sunbeams dancing across it and warm home made muffins and fresh fruit piled high on cheerful plates while the husband and I gaze dreamily into each other's eyes and share a view of the distant mountains.  Now, granted, this story has a few holes in it. For one, I rarely cook anymore and for two, we don't do a whole lot of staring dreamily into each other's eyes anymore, but hey, in paradise - it's possible, right?  ;D

Another item (or pair of items, rather) is a set of rustic lights. I have no idea where I'm going to put them in this mythical home, but I bought them in hopes of finding the perfect spot.   I actually bought one and then raced back to get the other one because I feared I might find the perfect spot for two and not be able to procure a second one.  Right now they have Edison bulbs in them, but you can put other bulbs in them. Although I'm sure it would quite ruin the effect. Picture another dreamy scenario of me curled up in a comfy chair, reading by the light of one of these beauties.

The last item for my Tennessee home is quite frivolous but quite necessary.  A necessary frivolity.  A friend of mine that paints and displays many of her paintings in an antique store in quite close proximity to my place of employment, recently did a beautiful abstract of a horse on tin. And even though I wanted it badly, it was just too large to fit in with our plans to downsize. It only went on display OUTSIDE the store this past Friday and by Saturday it was sold. But all is not lost because my friend has graciously agreed to paint a similar one for me in a more manageable size.  I'm posting a picture of the original and will post a picture of my commissioned picture when I receive it.  Until then I will anxiously await my painted pony.

ponymare

September "Firsts"
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2016, 01:04:06 pm »

September  26, 2016 marked a lists of "firsts" for our property.  First electric power generated!  First sunrise...to be followed by five more sunrises of varying hues and brilliance.  First view of the mountains from our "living room" window.  First "last mowing of the season." We really enjoyed our latest adventure.  We carried our water with us since we don't have the water meter set yet, so that was a bit of an adjustment. Although we were very sad to leave when the week ended, it was VERY nice to run a nice shower as long as I wanted!! ;D

David got measurements to build a roof to shelter the electric meter and will try to build some of it at home (in his spare time ha ha).

We toasted our first night with muscandine wine from the local Jamestown Winery, Highland Manor Winery. Here's to many more beautiful sunrises and sunsets.

ponymare

Shining On
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2016, 01:14:35 pm »

A couple more neat pictures of the beautiful sunrises. I set my alarm every morning so I wouldn't miss them!  Some were misty. All were beautiful.  It was cool to see the reflection of the sunrise in the trailer windows.  And also to see it from my "living room".  I told David we needed to make sure our windows and porches, etc. faced this way. The mountains are about dead center in the middle of our window view.  Sunsets will have to be viewed from our, as yet imaginary, front porch! ;D

ponymare

Can't get enough of the sunrises!
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2016, 01:18:18 pm »

Sorry... I'm obsessed with the sunrises. Last two, I promise.  At least for this trip! :P

ponymare

First ride in since December!
« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2016, 01:40:22 pm »

I hate to admit it but with all the health issues in our families, we haven't gotten to ride since December of LAST YEAR!  David also didn't have the boys' feet in great barefoot shape so we took hoofboots with us and just HOPED we would get to ride.  David was a little doubtful.  Our neighbor offered to be the trail boss and chauffeur for a couple of days so we put the hoof boots on them and hoped for the best.  He took us on an easy ride the first day.  We had been on several of these trails before and most were soft sandstone and mostly level ground.  We did part of the White Oak loop. Our friends call it the Bandy Creek Loop.  The boys did GREAT.  David kept commenting about the grin on my face. I couldn't keep it off of there. ;D  Beautiful temps and clear blue skies.  What's not to like, right?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up