Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cruising toward retirement  (Read 2682 times)

ponymare

Going, going, gone!
« Reply #120 on: May 15, 2018, 12:22:48 pm »

Going, going, gone, because most of Mother and Daddy's things have been auctioned off now. And there are just a few odds and ends for us to keep or throw away. I hate to throw anything away, but our house is already stuffed to the gills with things that "I" need to throw away.

It's also going, going, gone, because we slipped away to BSF last week and took the ponies with us for the first time in almost two years.  The trip up wasn't too bad because we got off fairly early and arrived at a decent hour for once. Our AC on the truck is out, so it was nice to be heading towards a cooler climate.  The trip back was miserable for the opposite reason. We started home in the mid 70's and arrived at home to very humid 90's.  :-\

We arrived on Monday and rode on Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday with our neighbors. They are just the best! They pastured our horses since we still don't have the fence done and took us all over the BSF in their trailer. Our horses needed a break Thursday as it's been over a year since we even rode them, but they did great. We couldn't ask for better boys, especially since they are mostly pasture pets these days. Weather was superb. Only a couple of showers and we missed them all!  Blue skies for days and green leaves popping out everywhere. This trip definitely made our hearts  happy.  I think my husband talked more in a couple of days than he has in a year!  And  he actually POSED for pictures!

ponymare

Posthole Blues
« Reply #121 on: May 15, 2018, 12:40:20 pm »

Hubby really intended working on the fence Friday, but it didn't take much to talk him into riding instead!  That was fine until Saturday rolled around and we still didn't have a place to keep the horses.  :-\ He didn't want to ask for help as we always seem to be doing that, but he just couldn't do it alone. I tried to help out where I could, but he was getting pretty hot, exhausted and discouraged by around 5:30.

If ever there was an awesome neighbor award, we would have to nominate ours! After taking us on beautiful rides all week, our neighbor came over to help finish digging the holes for the posts and filling the corners with quickcrete. Hubby had decided his plans to fence the whole place immediately were a bit ambitious for a part-timer, so he modified the plan to fence just one side first, which called for some additional corners. I helped by holding corners while hubby put them together and tried to keep him hydrated and fetch and carry things, but it sure was great to see our neighbor when he rode up on his white horse (well, maybe it was a Gator) and helped finish up the job. They finished filling up the holes with quickcrete just in time to see the sunset.  :D Hopefully soon the ponies will have a home away from home!  Stringing the braided wire shouldn't take too long. We hope to head back without the ponies for a work trip but never know when we can get away.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]   Go Up